Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #14,701 of 46,565
  Solarium : it sounds to me like a good deal also.  When the seller mentions the 2 yr warranty "… Sennheiser says that all products come with a 2-year warranty. But I'm not sure how the warranty works. As an individual seller, I don't think I myself can offer a 2-year warranty for you …" this tells me that the 650s are relatively new + approx. 70hrs usage = they appear to be practically new & a pretty good deal as mentioned before.  I've had mine for approx. 1.5 yr with many hours of usage (use them daily) & they're still in great shape & the sound is superb.  If I was in your shoes I would buy them at that price for the reasons I've elaborated.  The HD650 is the best HP I've owned/enjoyed over the years, better than some more expensive ones I've owned.  Good Luck.
beerchug.gif

That's just what I might do. Gonna take a look at them tomorrow. Just wish these were new at $272 :)

Any recommendations for amps? I got a Magni just last week and absolutely love it with my HD598. I also ordered a Vali with the intent of returning one of them. Which one would fit the HD650 better? (I'm thinking Magni since it's more neutral and the Vali would add more dark/warmth to the HD650).

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #14,702 of 46,565
Under $300 for a pair of HD650's? You're robbing the guy and leaving money in his pocket. Go for it! :beerchug:

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #14,703 of 46,565
  Anybody try HD580 grills on their HD650s? Hows it sound?

I have and it sounds awful. It only works well on the HD-600 to my ears.
580 grills on the HD-650 make the low mids too forward and fatiguing. Soundstage is even more closed in.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #14,704 of 46,565

Solarium : it sounds to me like a good deal also.  When the seller mentions the 2 yr warranty "… Sennheiser says that all products come with a 2-year warranty. But I'm not sure how the warranty works. As an individual seller, I don't think I myself can offer a 2-year warranty for you …" this tells me that the 650s are relatively new + approx. 70hrs usage = they appear to be practically new & a pretty good deal as mentioned before.  I've had mine for approx. 1.5 yr with many hours of usage (use them daily) & they're still in great shape & the sound is superb.  If I was in your shoes I would buy them at that price for the reasons I've elaborated.  The HD650 is the best HP I've owned/enjoyed over the years, better than some more expensive ones I've owned.  Good Luck.
beerchug.gif

That's just what I might do. Gonna take a look at them tomorrow. Just wish these were new at $272 :)

Any recommendations for amps? I got a Magni just last week and absolutely love it with my HD598. I also ordered a Vali with the intent of returning one of them. Which one would fit the HD650 better? (I'm thinking Magni since it's more neutral and the Vali would add more dark/warmth to the HD650).

Unfortunately I can't help you on that count.  I find that headphone amps like Headphones come down to a matter of personal taste so I wouldn't want to influence you one way or another.  I have an SS amp, a TEAC HA-501 which includes a "Damping Factor" selector which I can adjust to the HD650 300 ohm requirement & this set up/amp works for me.  I also believe that it depends also on the source you use ie. a CD player or iTunes from a PC (w/ a sound card (?) I think they're called).  In my case not being a technical individual my source is a CD player which has a DAC incorporated & CDs = I've never listened to music downloaded on a PC or iPhone, etc.  Also some prefer & swear by tube amps for the HD650 which they call synergy between the two (it seems to be the overall majority) & so on ….  so unfortunately I can't help you there because I don't have enough experience with the variety of sources to determine the sound outcome : source ≥ amplifier type ≥ headphones = sound outcome ??  Hope someone can help you out.
popcorn.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #14,707 of 46,565
Very happy with my RSA Raptor with my Senn 650's, but would take a RSA Apache Balanced .... Those two are a match made in heaven.. IMHO

Anyone out there hear an Apache and fill there is a better combination ?

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #14,708 of 46,565
1st post on here.

Just got my HD650 (upgraded from 598s)

Im looking to upgrade my amp, currently using an STX sound card

Am i right that the DAC on it is pretty good and i can just get an Amp ?

Looking at a Schiit Magni or a Vali

Would this be a step up for me?

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #14,709 of 46,565

beerchug.gif

Solarium : try this thread :  HD650 amplifier suggestions.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #14,710 of 46,565
1st post on here.

Yes the dac is pretty good you can just get the amp now. Your choice of amp depends on the sound you are looking for.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #14,711 of 46,565

1st post on here.

Yes the dac is pretty good you can just get the amp now. Your choice of amp depends on the sound you are looking for.

Thanks, looking at a Little dot mk III at the moment ...    i assume its easy to go from the sound card out to the amp ?

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #14,712 of 46,565
End up getting the HD650 used for $260 (I didn't have change). So stoked! Gonna listen to my HD598 first then the HD650 to make some comparisons. Hope it's all what it's hyped up to be :D

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #14,714 of 46,565
  i was going to do that but not taken the 650 off since i got them :)

my  598 just gathering dust now

Just tested the HD650 with norah jones' come away with me album. First thing I noticed was that how much "laid back" the HD650 is. The HD598 was my first enthusiast headphone and I never knew what the term meant until I heard the HD650. I absolutely love it. So intimate, sensual, soulful, unlike the HD598's more analytical and non-emotional almost sound. It's less harsh on my ears as well, and more of a flowing feeling, almost as if I were carried by soothing ocean waves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back