Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #14,686 of 46,564
  Well the Magni is a great sounding amp, especially for it's price, and it does pair well with the HD650's. The HD650's are considered to be a "darker" sounding headphone with coloration, while the Magni is a bright amp. Pairing them together makes good sense. For me though, I prefer a darker sound and I like the warmth of tubes thus I like the Vali with the HD650's, and the $119 price tag for the Vali can't be beat for it's quality.

If you're in the $100 -$150 Range I suggest Magni for a brighter solid state amp, or the Vali for a warmer tube amp. If you have a higher budget then of course you'll have more options, but for the price of either one of those two amps mentioned, they are very good quality sounding amps with the HD650.

Magni is sort of bright to me too, but not bright enough IMO to change how the HD-650 normally sounds. I would say the Magni is still neutral with a hint of brightness. More than an O2 at least. I didn't find the Vali to be warm at all with my modded Q701 which is strange. It didn't seem to add any coloration, but with the HD-650 it did. Not sure why the difference. I probably will be the only one who doesn't like the Vali with the HD-650.

Chances are I'd love the Lyr with the HD-650. I would probably change it's stock tubes though to match it to my preferences. Maybe I can get it to sound similar to the Vali with the Q701
normal_smile .gif

My favorite amp that consistently WOWs me with the HD-650 is the Headroom Micro Amp + Astrodyne. I can't think of any fault in any area. Been using it for 4 years now. With the HD-650 (and Micro DAC) it's very open/spacious sounding, very detailed and smooth. It doesn't make the HD-650 any warmer though. Maybe a little fuller mids compared to say how an HD-650 sounds on the O2. I guess the negative is that the HD-650 is not so laid back/relaxed with this setup (Amp still transparent sounding). Probably has more to do with the DAC. To me the HD-650 is capable of being very revealing. This wasn't apparent to me the first year of using the HD-650.

I got an iFi iCAN incoming any second and I bet it sounds great with the HD-650!

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #14,687 of 46,564
  Chances are I'd love the Lyr with the HD-650. I would probably change it's stock tubes though to match it to my preferences.

I would love to hear the HD 650's with the Lyr too! A friend of mine uses his HD 650's with the Lyr and Amperex Orange tubes and absolutley loves it.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #14,689 of 46,564
Can anyone compare the clamping force of the 650's to the 598's? Or just comment on it in general, I've heard it's pretty tight. Unfortunately comfort has always been an issue for me since I have a pretty large head and suffer from migraines.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #14,690 of 46,564
  Can anyone compare the clamping force of the 650's to the 598's? Or just comment on it in general, I've heard it's pretty tight. Unfortunately comfort has always been an issue for me since I have a pretty large head and suffer from migraines.

Slightly more clamp on the HD650, but the sound ... oh the sound. Worth it :)

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #14,691 of 46,564
The 598s are more comfortable out of the box but the 650 clamp does soften up considerably. Mine are now virtually the same as my 598s three months down the line, probably 150 hours on them.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #14,692 of 46,564

The 650's are the most comfortable phones I have even after several hours use.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #14,693 of 46,564

The 650's are the most comfortable phones I have even after several hours use.

I have to second this. I've had several headphones and honestly the HD650 are the most comfortable ones I've ever owned. I have a slightly narrow head, so maybe that's why they weren't too bad out of the box for me. But they've gotten even better since they've arrived.

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #14,694 of 46,564

I have to second this. I've had several headphones and honestly the HD650 are the most comfortable ones I've ever owned. I have a slightly narrow head, so maybe that's why they weren't too bad out of the box for me. But they've gotten even better since they've arrived.

I noticed you own some Mad Dogs and you think the HD 650 are the most comfortable? I would pick the Mad Dog in comfort hands down! But that's not to say the HD 650 isn't comfortable...it is comfy, but the clamp can be an issue for some.

The most comfortable headphone I've ever put on is by far the HD 700, though.

Dec 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #14,695 of 46,564

I noticed you own some Mad Dogs and you think the HD 650 are the most comfortable? I would pick the Mad Dog in comfort hands down! But that's not to say the HD 650 isn't comfortable...it is comfy, but the clamp can be an issue for some.

The most comfortable headphone I've ever put on is by far the HD 700, though.

Don't get me wrong, the Mad Dogs are crazy comfortable too. I give the nod to the 650 simply because they're open and use velour pads. I prefer velour to leather during the warmer months and open cans breathe better. The lambskin on the Alpha Pads is wonderful but it can get a tad stuffy at times. Before the 650, they were my go to for comfort. The Mad Dogs aren't far behind the HD650 by any means and I still think they're incredible on my head, that comfort strap! But the breathability of the 650 nudge it out slightly.

I too have tried on the HD700 for a short while. I don't own them so my statement still stands.
wink_face.gif
 With no sound playing I absolutely loved them. But I would never own one as I didn't care for the sound signature at all. I'm toying around with the idea of buying a replacement headband pad for the 700 and transplanting it onto my 650. Honestly if I could get the 650 sound with the 700 body I'd snatch it in a heartbeat. But to me the 700 just aren't worth owning.

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #14,696 of 46,564

Don't get me wrong, the Mad Dogs are crazy comfortable too. I give the nod to the 650 simply because they're open and use velour pads. I prefer velour to leather during the warmer months and open cans breathe better. The lambskin on the Alpha Pads is wonderful but it can get a tad stuffy at times. Before the 650, they were my go to for comfort. The Mad Dogs aren't far behind the HD650 by any means and I still think they're incredible on my head, that comfort strap! But the breathability of the 650 nudge it out slightly.

I too have tried on the HD700 for a short while. I don't own them so my statement still stands.
wink_face.gif
 With no sound playing I absolutely loved them. But I would never own one as I didn't care for the sound signature at all. I'm toying around with the idea of buying a replacement headband pad for the 700 and transplanting it onto my 650. Honestly if I could get the 650 sound with the 700 body I'd snatch it in a heartbeat. But to me the 700 just aren't worth owning.

Yeah, for most people it's either you really like the HD 700 sound or you just don't. It's very different from the HD 650, almost opposite sound signature, but once I got used to it I loved it. I don't own them (yet) but they are still the most comfortable that I've tried. I didn't think they were worth $1,000 but after the recent price drop they are looking very attractive to me now. I agree, a HD 650 in a HD 700 shell would be heavenly, though.

But this is an HD 650 appreciation thread, so I won't derail.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #14,697 of 46,564
I kick myself in the butt for missing the deal for $272 new: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/106706/sennheiser.com---sennheiser-hd-650-headphones 

BUT, I found a barely used HD650 on craigslist for $280... is that a good price?

Here's our convo:

How many hours did you put on these? 
- I didn't count how many hours I've put on these. An estimated value should be less than 70 hours.
What condition are they in, any cosmetic/sound defects? 
- They are in "almost new" condition. No cosmetic/sound defects are found. You're free to test it when we meet.
Are they still under warranty? How long ago did you buy these (do you still have receipt?)
- I bought these in early November and have used these sparsely. I'm selling these because I don't want to invest other devices, like players, amplifiers, etc. Sennheiser says that all products come with a 2-year warranty. But I'm not sure how the warranty works. As an individual seller, I don't think I myself can offer a 2-year warranty for you. Regarding the receipt, I do have and can show you, but cannot offer you, because it includes my home address, billing info, etc. I'm sorry. 
Any parts missing, are they still in original box?
- They come with all parts in original box as you'd expect from an authorized retailer.

I just bought the HD598 a little over a month ago too... I may be able to return them still.

What do you guys think? Yes/No/Maybe?

Damn head-fi for making me spending so much money :)

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #14,698 of 46,564
  I kick myself in the butt for missing the deal for $272 new: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/106706/sennheiser.com---sennheiser-hd-650-headphones 

BUT, I found a barely used HD650 on craigslist for $280... is that a good price?

Here's our convo:

- I didn't count how many hours I've put on these. An estimated value should be less than 70 hours.
- They are in "almost new" condition. No cosmetic/sound defects are found. You're free to test it when we meet.
Are they still under warranty? How long ago did you buy these (do you still have receipt?)
- I bought these in early November and have used these sparsely. I'm selling these because I don't want to invest other devices, like players, amplifiers, etc. Sennheiser says that all products come with a 2-year warranty. But I'm not sure how the warranty works. As an individual seller, I don't think I myself can offer a 2-year warranty for you. Regarding the receipt, I do have and can show you, but cannot offer you, because it includes my home address, billing info, etc. I'm sorry. 
- They come with all parts in original box as you'd expect from an authorized retailer.

I just bought the HD598 a little over a month ago too... I may be able to return them still.

Like new for <$300?  That's a very good deal--go for it! The HD650s are a crazy good set of cans for under $300.

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #14,700 of 46,564

Here's our convo:

Solarium : it sounds to me like a good deal also.  When the seller mentions the 2 yr warranty "… Sennheiser says that all products come with a 2-year warranty. But I'm not sure how the warranty works. As an individual seller, I don't think I myself can offer a 2-year warranty for you …" this tells me that the 650s are relatively new + approx. 70hrs usage = they appear to be practically new & a pretty good deal as mentioned before.  I've had mine for approx. 1.5 yr with many hours of usage (use them daily) & they're still in great shape & the sound is superb.  If I was in your shoes I would buy them at that price for the reasons I've elaborated.  The HD650 is the best HP I've owned/enjoyed over the years, better than some more expensive ones I've owned.  Good Luck.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back