Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #14,506 of 46,525

I have the Magni, and it sounds very good with the HD650--can't go wrong there.  A Vali is also on the way, so I'll be comparing the two this weekend and will post my thoughts.

I think I am leaning towards the Vali.  Not much info on it, just a lot of hype, but that can also be part of the fun and excitement - trying out something that not many people have yet.

I will be anxious to hear what you will have to say about them, as you are in a position to directly compare the two amps using the HD650s.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #14,507 of 46,525

I think I am leaning towards the Vali.  Not much info on it, just a lot of hype, but that can also be part of the fun and excitement - trying out something that not many people have yet.

I will be anxious to hear what you will have to say about them, as you are in a position to directly compare the two amps using the HD650s.

That's as good a reason as any--especially since the HD650 sounds great on any Schiit.  I have the Mjolnir and had the Lyr until a week ago--both sound fantastic with the HD650. I haven't heard them, but head-fiers also love the Asgard 2 and Valhalla with the HD650.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #14,508 of 46,525
  Guys, I did something really stupid. :frowning2: I accidentally tore the wiring on the driver when I was taking it apart to clean out the right ear/re-adjust it. Is there any way to quickly fix this? Would I have to get a replacement driver? I figure I'll probably have to send it in to Sennheiser...

Man, that wire was frickin' thin, like a very fine human hair. Of course, there was no easy solder point for the driver, the wire goes directly to the voice coil.  Grafted in a single strand of copper, I could hardly see what I was doing, even with a magnifier.  And no, I do not offer this service--take care of your drivers!
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #14,509 of 46,525
Thank you very much, good sir! I'm not even going to touch that side of the driver anymore. I really shouldn't have in the first place.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #14,510 of 46,525
  Sorry if this has been answered,but has the infamous paint chipping been fixed on the recent productions of these headphones?Just ordered one from Razordog,hate the thought of it chipping the first time I try to bend it wider for my big noggin.

I also heard about that issue before ordering mine. I have had mine since September so they are probably recent production. So far no problems with paint chipping at all. I listen to them about 4-6 hours per day, and I frequently check the headband for any paint chipping, but so far none at all.
  HD650 in titanium finish...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sennheiser-HD-650-Headband-Headphones-Titanium-/291025417861

I just got my HD650's back in September from Crutchfield [Authorized Sennheiser dealer] ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_143HD650/Sennheiser-HD-650.html) they are Titanium finish as well. I didn't realize there were other colors for the HD650's! I know the HD600's have that marble-like finish. What other colors do the HD650's come in? Aren't they all Titanium finish or is that perhaps just the recent production ones?

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #14,513 of 46,525
accidentally sat on my hd650...confirm it is made of titanium :p

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #14,518 of 46,525
To get back to the subject of the HD650's Titanium finish, I was wondering if it is difficult to remove the grills covering the outside of the drivers on the outside of the headphones. I think the black grills look good, but I think it would be awesome to paint them with a Silver-metallic finish or Titanium Metallic finish. Would this be possible or does the process of removing the grills too difficult to remove and replace properly?

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #14,519 of 46,525
  To get back to the subject of the HD650's Titanium finish, I was wondering if it is difficult to remove the grills covering the outside of the drivers on the outside of the headphones. I think the black grills look good, but I think it would be awesome to paint them with a Silver-metallic finish or Titanium Metallic finish. Would this be possible or does the process of removing the grills too difficult to remove and replace properly?

Yes, it's possible. In fact, I have my grill disconnected because Barry S fixed one of my drivers so I can't use the headphones right now. You just need some kind of flat-head screwdriver on the part where the cables attach. Just push outward. There are videos on YouTube if you're skeptical on how to do this.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #14,520 of 46,525
Thank you very much for that info! What do you guys think of painting the grills a metallic Silver or metallic Titanium finish or any color that one would like? DO you guys think it would look cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back