Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #14,491 of 46,525
Mine arrived today and are still sitting brand new wrapped in the box. I was so excited when I ordered these. Though now I am hesitant to open them as I realized after reading this thread that I do not have anyway to drive them with.

Thinking I might just turn around and sell them here at a reasonable price. I wish I could keep them, but I just can not afford to buy a decent Amp and DAC to pair with them. :frowning2:

What? Plug it into any headphone jack and have a listen! It'll still play your music and still sound like the HD650. Better gear will give you refinement. You can go down that path later if the HD650 is to your liking.

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #14,492 of 46,525
Mine arrived today and are still sitting brand new wrapped in the box. I was so excited when I ordered these. Though now I am hesitant to open them as I realized after reading this thread that I do not have anyway to drive them with.

Thinking I might just turn around and sell them here at a reasonable price. I wish I could keep them, but I just can not afford to buy a decent Amp and DAC to pair with them.
frown.gif

What? Plug it into any headphone jack and have a listen! It'll still play your music and still sound like the HD650. Better gear will give you refinement. You can go down that path later if the HD650 is to your liking.

I'm inclined to agree with olor1n on this one.  If you have buyer's remorse for the amount of money you spent, then sell them.  However, if you're thinking of selling them only because you "lack the appropriate DAC/Amp" combo... that's nuts.  Even from your E07K they will sound better than anything you own (judging from your profile).  

Enjoy what you have.  This hobby is a lot more fun that way! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #14,493 of 46,525

Thinking I might just turn around and sell them here at a reasonable price. I wish I could keep them, but I just can not afford to buy a decent Amp and DAC to pair with them.
frown.gif

I'm inclined to agree with olor1n on this one.  If you have buyer's remorse for the amount of money you spent, then sell them.  However, if you're thinking of selling them only because you "lack the appropriate DAC/Amp" combo... that's nuts.  Even from your E07K they will sound better than anything you own (judging from your profile).  

Enjoy what you have.  This hobby is a lot more fun that way! 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the replies!  I just have never used a pair of this "Quality" before.  I will open the box now and give it a go.  I will report back in a little while.  :)

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #14,495 of 46,525
Agreed, in the end it's all about the music! I ran my HD650 straight out of my computer's motherboard headphone jack for a day, while waiting for new power tubes. Worst option ever because of all the electric interference going on in there; and they sounded so good out of it. :) Now obviously they sound better out of a proper amp/DAC but don't think you can't use them without one.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #14,497 of 46,525
Currently listening for the first time to a pair of this level.  I should have bought these a long time ago.

First impressions are (with no burn in): 

- SUPER easy listening. 

- Smooth warm sound with decent detail (though I am sure a proper Amp and burn in will bring out a lot more precision).

- Sounds like the love child of a Koss KSC75 and the Digitech Pro Monitors/Brainwavz HM5, with the best of both coming through.

- Nice sound-stage, perfect distance.

My serious listening face:

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #14,498 of 46,525
Interesting observation. I'd always thought the Brainwavz HM5 sounded almost like a closed HD650. The HM5's don't quite have the same smoothness in the mids though.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #14,499 of 46,525
love the listening face. you must be a photographer 
tongue.gif

you will really begin to appreciate how they just disappear on your head. i'm actually grateful the LCD2 are twice as heavy, otherwise i'd have made the plunge on those already. i'm quite satisfied.. for now 
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #14,501 of 46,525
Perhaps. What do you feel is the improvement and what brand of cable do you speak of?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5ft-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-For-SENNHEISER-HD25-HD580-HD600-HD650-/111173550612

I bought mine 2nd hand that came with a cable that looks like this....
Myhd650 sounded more energetic n brighter...like a hd600 on steroids..
Which is what I was looking for when I sold the hd600.

Not sure if that would equate to a 'weightier' can to your ears..:p

If u like the hd650 generic sound, it's best to tweak it from there till u find a sweetspot. IMHO.

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #14,503 of 46,525
Sorry if this has been answered,but has the infamous paint chipping been fixed on the recent productions of these headphones?Just ordered one from Razordog,hate the thought of it chipping the first time I try to bend it wider for my big noggin.

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #14,504 of 46,525
I just ordered the HD 650 a couple days ago.  It should arrive shortly. 

I need an amp.

I am considering either the Schiit Magni or the Vali (or possibly the asgard 2).

I already have an Emotiva Mini-X a100 that I use for my 2.0 speakers on this same system.  It has outs that I can plug the headphone amp into, so I do not really need that feature that the Asgard has.

I have never had a tube amp, so I am kind of curious, but I also wonder if I should just stick with a solid state like the Magni for the HD650.  

Any thoughts?  (I am about to dive into the Schiit Vali thread right now)

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #14,505 of 46,525
  I just ordered the HD 650 a couple days ago.  It should arrive shortly. 

I need an amp.

I am considering either the Schiit Magni or the Vali (or possibly the asgard 2).

I already have an Emotiva Mini-X a100 that I use for my 2.0 speakers on this same system.  It has outs that I can plug the headphone amp into, so I do not really need that feature that the Asgard has.

I have never had a tube amp, so I am kind of curious, but I also wonder if I should just stick with a solid state like the Magni for the HD650.  

Any thoughts?  (I am about to dive into the Schiit Vali thread right now)

I have the Magni, and it sounds very good with the HD650--can't go wrong there.  A Vali is also on the way, so I'll be comparing the two this weekend and will post my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back