Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #13,922 of 46,527
If you love the HD598 but want just a bit more bass, go for the 600s/650s. You would probably want to go up to at least an O2 or Magni for amp. The HD598 is an awesome value if you don't need the extra bass, though.

Well, I had to go ahead and go with the 598s as they dropped to $199 new on Amazon this AM and I couldn't pass it up :) Right at the price point I already had set aside and would require no additional amp purchase to properly power (currently have Fiio E17). I've heard good things about these and if they're anything like the 590s I've heard then they'll be perfect. I'm sure the upgrade itch with strike sooner or later and 650s may be in my future still. Thanks again for the insight guys.

Oct 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #13,924 of 46,527
  Generally speaking, are vocals in the midrange or treble? I know people sometimes have negative sentiments regarding the treble of the 650's, but does this mean that they think the vocals are bad? 

The treble rolls off, but that largely gives the headphones a more laid back sound.  Vocals are usually in the mids, and there are few headphones as stellar as the HD650 in the mids (IMHO).

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #13,925 of 46,527
Well most of the vocal range comes in below 3khz, but treble can affect vocal clarity as well, especially consonant definition (think "s" and "t"). It mostly depends on preference; some people say the HD650 is a little veiled in general, but it sounds very natural to me, personally.

Quote:
  Generally speaking, are vocals in the midrange or treble? I know people sometimes have negative sentiments regarding the treble of the 650's, but does this mean that they think the vocals are bad? 

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #13,927 of 46,527

"Treble" is a consumer term for the upper frequency range. Vocal frequencies range from about 200 cycles to 3,500 cycles but then you have sibilance, which can go as high as 10,000 cycles (or 10kHz if we're talking "Hertz") in a vocal recording.

Sibilance happens during the recording of vocals, through improper mic'ing techniques and/or the "wrong" microphone (it's not just a matter of throwing the most expensive mic in the chain). Headphones like the 650 do well with recordings that have a bit too much sibilance on them because of the roll off in the upper freq range. In cases where you have a recording that is a little too "hot" in the upper frequency range, the 650s smooth things out a bit so these kinds of recordings will have less "bite".

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #13,930 of 46,527
Hey everyone.
I'm ready to pull the trigger and finally upgrade from my hd55s to hd650, however I am having trouble finding them at a good price. I figure I'm better off asking here than making a new thread.

I've called headphone.com and razordog deals, but both of them came back with prices over$400. I distinctly remember them being available for $350, just last year. Have I missed out all these deals?

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I should look next?

thanks

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #13,931 of 46,527
Sennheiser has recently became very strict with prices.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #13,932 of 46,527
I'd say keep an eye out for a good seller on eBay, I got mine like-new for $325.

Quote:
  Hey everyone.
I'm ready to pull the trigger and finally upgrade from my hd55s to hd650, however I am having trouble finding them at a good price. I figure I'm better off asking here than making a new thread.

I've called headphone.com and razordog deals, but both of them came back with prices over$400. I distinctly remember them being available for $350, just last year. Have I missed out all these deals?

thanks

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #13,933 of 46,527
  Hey everyone.

thanks

You know they typically sell for $300-$350 used here on Head-Fi in the for sale section.

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #13,934 of 46,527
Have you tried ebay for lightly used ones or open box ones?   If you don't mind used in good condition, you can do pretty well on ebay.  Just look for the ones used for less than a month.  Those usually go for 425 to 450.  Maybe less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back