Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #13,441 of 46,533
I'm currently feeling a lot of love for the hd650 paired with the Asgard2. I've heard the hd650 with lot's of amps. There is just something about the clean punchy nature of the A2 that seems to make a great pairing with the 650 for me. Love it!!

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #13,442 of 46,533
Quote:
I think he's talking about his Beats by Dre :wink:.

Anyway, I am warming up a lot to the HD650s. I'm at maybe 25-30 hours of burn-in, and the sound has improved by LEAPS AND BOUNDS. The bass has tightened up so much, it is outrageous. The treble lost almost all its metallicness and harshness, and the lows now exist (whereas they were just oddly absent before).

I think my two largest qualms are the whooshier nature of the bass and the slowness of the treble. But that's part of the laid-back character of the phones, from what I hear. There's not much I can do to fix that. I'm looking into the SAA Equinox cable, but I am skeptical of cables (I don't know if it's all just marketing bogus). The guys on Headfonia seem certain that there is a difference between cables. There is such mixed opinion about.

Overall, though, they are fairly pleasant to listen to. I get why they're non-fatiguing and relaxed. They really do sound "gentle": whooshy bass and slower treble would do that.

Another 20 hours, and I'll see how I feel about it. And then maybe there will be some final settling in at around 100hrs. Before, I was going to rate the HD650s at a 2/5, but now I ca certainly see why they aren't deserving of such a bad score. Maybe not my perfect sound signature match, but now I'm not baffled as to why people might like them at all!

P.S. They kind of remind me of the Sony MDR EX-1000, which were also slow and gentle.

Cables... slippery slope because then you might be spending at much or even more than what you paid for your cans. BUT... I do personally admit that (to my ears) cables do indeed make a difference... slight... but definitely audible. The cables that I have tried before I have done A/B with the stock cable are as follows:

Moon Audio Black Dragon V1: Tighter bass... slightly more punchy with better extension. Trebles are a tad more lively and shimmers.

Toxic Viper SPC: Similar differences to the Black Dragon, but even better extension on both sides... particularly the treble. (this is from memory... I did not manage to A/B between the two as I had sold the Black Dragon already.)

If you're curious about cables, I would highly recommend lurking the for sale/trade forums for a while till a cheaper used one pops up (always does eventually). That way you can save some $$$ and test out if your ears agree about whether cables matter. I have read several excellent reviews about the SAA Equinox... but i personally feel they are overpriced.

NOTE: It seems that there are many here at Head Fi who respectfully disagree with some of the reviews from Headfonia... be sure to check several review sources before acknowledging everything they say... for example:

http://www.headfonia.com/the-original-budget-desktop-amp-gets-an-update-schiit-asgard-2/

I think there are many individuals who would disagree with him.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #13,444 of 46,533
Quote:
The 650's can give you that nice midbass thump, add the slow note decay and the 650's display that commonly described bassy signature but the overall resolution of the phones are limited, especially at both ends of the spectrum. An expensive cable will not alleviate this limitation of the 650.

Actually, this is exactly what mine did. Don't knock it until you try it 
size]

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #13,446 of 46,533
I have; silver, copper, Moon audio makes some nice cables.  Cables for the 650, T1, LCD-2's, HE-6's.  Didn't add anything, didn't take away anything.  Paid a lot of money for enthusiasm and taking everyone's word at face value. It was in my earlier days when I was just gobbling up everyone's opinion.  Learned from it.  Spent plenty of time trying and hoping to hear something but just lost a lot of money.  Best cables I ever bought were from Q-audio for the LCD-2's just cause they were so damn comfy and flexible!  Unlike the typical nylon sheathe stuff.  All in all, if people hear something from aftermarket cables, great!  But at the price most people pay for the HD650's, a good aftermarket cable is what, at least 40% of the cost of the headphones.  That's an insane purchase to make.  Take that money and get a pair of used Mad Dog's and see what you're missing.

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #13,447 of 46,533
Something here for those who want the ultimate amp for the HD650...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Battery-Tube-Only-Headphones-Amplifier-For-Sennheiser-HD-580-600-650-Beyer-DT880-/330993041075?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item4d10b8feb3

Aug 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #13,449 of 46,533
Yes, I know, and the seller has it listed here:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Schematic-Pleiades-Electra-Tubes-Only-No-Other-Components-Headphone-Amplifier-/231034522177?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item35cabb0a41

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #13,451 of 46,533
Quote:
I think he's talking about his Beats by Dre :wink:.

Anyway, I am warming up a lot to the HD650s. I'm at maybe 25-30 hours of burn-in, and the sound has improved by LEAPS AND BOUNDS. The bass has tightened up so much, it is outrageous. The treble lost almost all its metallicness and harshness, and the lows now exist (whereas they were just oddly absent before).

I think my two largest qualms are the whooshier nature of the bass and the slowness of the treble. But that's part of the laid-back character of the phones, from what I hear. There's not much I can do to fix that. I'm looking into the SAA Equinox cable, but I am skeptical of cables (I don't know if it's all just marketing bogus). The guys on Headfonia seem certain that there is a difference between cables. There is such mixed opinion about.

Overall, though, they are fairly pleasant to listen to. I get why they're non-fatiguing and relaxed. They really do sound "gentle": whooshy bass and slower treble would do that.

Another 20 hours, and I'll see how I feel about it. And then maybe there will be some final settling in at around 100hrs. Before, I was going to rate the HD650s at a 2/5, but now I ca certainly see why they aren't deserving of such a bad score. Maybe not my perfect sound signature match, but now I'm not baffled as to why people might like them at all!

P.S. They kind of remind me of the Sony MDR EX-1000, which were also slow and gentle.

If you pull the foam out of the back & front, it really opens them up sonically. A good silver or gold/copper will also improve them imo. If you can, go balanced. I'm listening to my balanced 650's now, still blows me away. (& sooo comfortable) 

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #13,452 of 46,533
Got a neq EQ that I've been using for EDM, mostly Infected Mushroom, Kalya Scintilla, Bluetech, Shpongle, etc. I find it makes the sound a bit more clear and engaging with electronic music, solves some of the unnatural fuzziness feeling I get from some synths and bass when listening to tighter, more textured EDM.

Here's another that makes the sound less fuzzy but doesn't add extra "clarity" for those who like a bit more warmth:

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #13,453 of 46,533
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Got a neq EQ that I've been using for EDM, mostly Infected Mushroom, Kalya Scintilla, Bluetech, Shpongle, etc. I find it makes the sound a bit more clear and engaging with electronic music, solves some of the unnatural fuzziness feeling I get from some synths and bass when listening to tighter, more textured EDM.

Here's another that makes the sound less fuzzy but doesn't add extra "clarity" for those who like a bit more warmth:

Is it possible to save theses custom EQs as files? 

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #13,454 of 46,533
Has anyone done a comparison between the 650 and the beyer T90?  I'd like to know thoughts/impressions if anyone has.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #13,455 of 46,533
Quote:
If you pull the foam out of the back & front, it really opens them up sonically. A good silver or gold/copper will also improve them imo. If you can, go balanced. I'm listening to my balanced 650's now, still blows me away. (& sooo comfortable) 

If I wanted to go balanced, what does that entail? I am using a Bottlehead Crack right now, and there is a 1/4" headphone jack. Would I need to replace it with some kind of XLR headphone jack?

Also, does the balanced change the sound at all, or does it just make it quieter? As of now, my BH crack is dead quiet; it has no hiss or hum or anything like that. I have the Speedball upgrade too.

Is it possible to save theses custom EQs as files? 

Yes, you can. I don't know how because I've never done it, but I assume it's not that complicated. I know it's possible because I downloaded a bunch of presets that came in EQ files. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back