Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #12,886 of 46,564
Quote:
Yeah, I'll remain to say I'm not going to overpay for a cable when I could potentially pay for a matching DAC for my setup that will most definitely make a difference (whether it's a negative or positive one).

Not always. A perfect example, I have Woo Audio WA7 DAC/Amp combo. I decided to try Micromega MyDAC, which uses transformer based power supply,if it will make any difference but it didn't except that, unlike WA7, it works with WASAPI's event mode.

Jul 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #12,887 of 46,564
tat harmless looking cable from the lappy to the dac can be the cause of great variance in the sound quality.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #12,889 of 46,564
if noticeable is what u noticed thus far, try a CABLEDYNE  
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #12,890 of 46,564
It seems there is much variation in how much variation people find. 
What I'd learned long ago in terms of testing (in professional audio contexts as well) is that doing an experiment that can validly isolate differences is very hard, very detailed.  

So we are all doing different experiments.  No wonder the results differ.  

In other words, there is NOTHING WRONG GOING ON HERE. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #12,891 of 46,564
I just find it difficult to believe that a company like sennheiser with what was once its flagship headphone would build an amazing headphone and then compromise it with a bad cable, I may be wrong, but I think not.

Jul 8, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #12,892 of 46,564
its an ok cable..its not a superb cable...if u are not fussy, dun change it :p
its like alot of stock cars dun have great tyres, sports rim etc

Jul 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #12,894 of 46,564
Quote:
Yeah, I'll remain to say I'm not going to overpay for a cable when I could potentially pay for a matching DAC for my setup that will most definitely make a difference (whether it's a negative or positive one).

Buying an aftermarket cable for your HD650 is IMO like throwing your money down the toilet. You can surely invest your money in something else. I once bought a Cardas Cable ($200) for my HD650. Not only that it didn't bring any noticable change to the sound, the cable was also a real pain in the ass to use. While it looks ok and hi-tech it is incredibly stiff which makes it very uncomfortable. One of the channels frequently went out and only came back after I plugged it out of my headphone amp and then plugged it back again. That was very annoying. The stock cable works like a charm, it is very flexible, well built and is cheap if you ever need to replace it. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #12,895 of 46,564
Quote:
I just find it difficult to believe that a company like sennheiser with what was once its flagship headphone would build an amazing headphone and then compromise it with a bad cable, I may be wrong, but I think not.

Another way to look at it is that Sennheiser makes cables detachable in order to upgrade them easily.

I once felt the same way you did until doing blind tests with a friend and can vouch for a significant improvement with a cable upgrade. Even the Cardas was an improvement and I used it for quite some time until balancing the 650s. Once balanced I started using a Silver Poison by Toxic cables. This produced even better SQ to my ears but to be fair, I didn't balance the Cardas. I think the silver/gold of the Poison brightens things up without detracting from the bass response like some pure silver cables can.

I believe it's important to have an excellent source/amp to benefit from a cable upgrade. Also, I buy aftermarket cables used, usually for less than half the original cost.

Jul 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #12,896 of 46,564
Quote:

I believe it's important to have an excellent source/amp to benefit from a cable upgrade. Also, I buy aftermarket cables used, usually for less than half the original cost.

And what in your opinion is an excellent source/Amp? At the time I had a Cardas cable I used Rega Apollo CD-player as a source and Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 headphone amplifier. I see those as excellent source/amp combilation, equal or better than those you have on your equipment list. Unfortunately it didn't bring any difference to my ear or to the ears of the people who listened to the same equipment with me. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #12,898 of 46,564
The xcan v3 is a bueatiful sounding amp...airy.
I sold it becos of the small adaptor tat stopped me from my cablelust...wanted to plug a big cable behind it...blush.

Maybe ther cadas has a faulty connect....limited its potential..jus saying.

Anyway...buy dunbuy...everyone wins..in his own mind..

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #12,899 of 46,564
Here are the 650's with Toxic Cables Silver Widow's....They made a very positive and noticeable difference. YMMV....

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #12,900 of 46,564
Yes it looks nice and would probably make you think it sounds better. Meh maybe I am wrong but I am a cable skeptic
biggrin.gif
Not really willing to spend 75% of the price of the headphones to try it out!

Looks nice and will probably last you a lifetime anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back