Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #1,156 of 46,564
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650 is never a fast phone - the bass is not the tightest - about as tight as tubes - perfect synergy, the warmth the laid back treble, sounds exactly like tube charcteristics - coincidence? I think not.

Well, you're describing the conditions of a happy marriage, but I'm not sure it translates to the synergy between headphone and amp. However, though it defies logic I don't have enough experience in the matter to argue the point.

Quote:

The HD800 marks the completion of Senheissers shift in paradigm from seduction (orpheus - niche markets) to precision (larger market = greater potential profit). It began with the introduction of the HD595 (successor to the 580 as the leader of the rest. ie excl 600/650). Angled drivers? silver plastics? shift in tonal balance? It ends with the HD800.

I may still buy the HD800 (must have "the best") but I know the 650 is in my heart and will not leave.

Not sure why, but your prose reminds me of the acting of Brian Blessed in minor Shakespearian roles.

Quote:

The only upgrade left for me is a aftermarket 650 cable, still have the stock. How is the cardas cable? I can purchase these new in Australia.

Pretty expensive. I imported the Headphile Blacksilver for about $185 all up (six feet). It seems to be a good choice for the 650.

Quote:

PS. For some stupid reason I feel I need to get a headphone with wooden cups because my simple mind equates wood with "old school" hence will synergise with "old school" tubes. On the contrary - I would have thought the "old school" look of the K701 would be perfect with tubes - I buy on looks how shallow.

Now you've switched to Alec Guinness in minor Shakespearian roles.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,157 of 46,564
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oooooh that is VERY exciting to hear! Could you describe the way they sound with that amp?

Sure! I mentioned two inexpensive amps: the FiiO E3 (or E5), and the HiSoundAudio AMP3. For which one were you interested in a description of the sound from the HD650 paired with it?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #1,158 of 46,564
I'm about to purchase a pair of HD650 tomorrow. Actually I was aiming for a more easy to drive head phone initially but I got such a good deal on the 650's so I have to buy them. I've read lots of threads and such and realize that to get the most out of the 650 I'll need a desktop amp. But I think I'll start with a portable dac/amp for use with 650. Does anyone have any input on which portable amp/dac to buy? There's Pico, Ibasso D10/D4 and RSA Predator. I may go for portable amp only, and I guess the RSA P-51 would be the best choice. Any thoughts?
Thanks for any input!

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #1,159 of 46,564
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to purchase a pair of HD650 tomorrow. Actually I was aiming for a more easy to drive head phone initially but I got such a good deal on the 650's so I have to buy them. I've read lots of threads and such and realize that to get the most out of the 650 I'll need a desktop amp. But I think I'll start with a portable dac/amp for use with 650. Does anyone have any input on which portable amp/dac to buy? There's Pico, Ibasso D10/D4 and RSA Predator. I may go for portable amp only, and I guess the RSA P-51 would be the best choice. Any thoughts?
Thanks for any input!

I do recall testing my HD650's with the P-51 Mustang and I wasn't impressed.... at all, especially considering the price. It's one of my least satisfying purchases since I strongly doubt that I got good bang for my buck. I've kept it to use with my ESW9A with which it works reasonably well, but I do feel that I paid for RSA portable amp sexiness and appeal more than anything else. A sexiness and appeal that afford them a good reputation around here, but I do feel obligated to give my opinion if it's contrary to the popular one, and also, if I feel strongly enough about it.

If you're buying a portable, I'd choose one that's properly powered. I'd have more confidence, at the minimum, in one with dual battery packs that provide more voltage and hence, current. Little match box or extra slim portables are unlikely to be so in a way that will do justice to cans like the HD650's. I'm not too concerned either about ads making this claim since the Mustang write-up claims that it will drive the HD650's. In my personal experience, while it will give volume to the HD650's, it will not provide control and hence, good articulation. There are much cheaper portable solutions that will similarly provide volume to the HD650's.

All my opinion, of course.
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,160 of 46,564
Thanks very much for the input. Any suggestions on these much cheaper solutions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are much cheaper portable solutions that will similarly provide volume to the HD650's.

All my opinion, of course.
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #1,161 of 46,564
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much for the input. Any suggestions on these much cheaper solutions?

So are you interested in volume without control? What I mean is, is that all you'll be able to afford for now. If so, then why not the HeadRoom Airhead? That one is $90. The Bithead with an inbuilt USB based DAC is $150. That's still half the price of the Mustang!!

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #1,162 of 46,564
Well, if it's possible I would like a portable amp/dac that can make both iem's and hd650 sound good. I could sell my T3 for iem's in that case. Of course average iem's are easier to drive. Any suggestions of such a portable amp/dac for let's say $400 tops?
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are you interested in volume without control? What I mean is, is that all you'll be able to afford for now. If so, then why not the HeadRoom Airhead? That one is $90. The Bithead with an inbuilt USB based DAC is $150. That's still half the price of the Mustang!!

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #1,163 of 46,564
When I mentioned the Bithead, I meant relatively cheap compared to the RSA counterparts, but not cheap in sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll leave the others to suggest amp/dacs <$400. The Pico Amp/DAC is $499. The Amp is $399. However, they don't seem much different from RSA offering, the Predator.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #1,166 of 46,564
Bought a pair of HD650 today, I'm so happy
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I've only tried and compared them to my crappy Sennheiser 202 from the HP out on my Onkyo 606 home receiver, but my god what a difference!

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #1,167 of 46,564
Wow then 650s are really breeding here!!!!

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #1,168 of 46,564
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow then 650s are really breeding here!!!!

I think a lot of people have worked through the recent wave of more expensive and supposedly better phones and are realizing the new ones aren't actually better, only different. I know I have.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #1,169 of 46,564
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a lot of people have worked through the recent wave of more expensive and supposedly better phones and are realizing the new ones aren't actually better, only different. I know I have.

Indeed. This is why my next pair will be an RS1i. The Ed8's are a marvel of construction with the type of sound I'm hearing coming from them, but it's not that the sound is revelatory on the face of it. If you want a closed can with small form factor, great bass reproduction, then go ahead with them if you can afford them, otherwise your money is much better spent going for a can costing much less.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #1,170 of 46,564
hd650s or an rs1i are definitely in the running to be my next pair of cans in the sub $1000 level. My hd580s are so unbelievably good compared to almost any other headphones Ive heard that a bassier variant with more refinement like the HD650 is a definite must have. Who knows they might end up being the only one i will listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back