Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #9,796 of 46,527
  Dear longbowbbs:

Thank you for your suggestion...as it looks like no other amplifier I have ever seen, (not that I have seen more than a paltry few), I am guessing that this Decware CSP2+ is indeed a kit(?)...(i.e. DIY as opposed to simply "nice kit"...lol...).  Not sure of exactly that which I am seeing tube-wise that is "guarded" by the three smaller tubes in front and a transformer behind, but it appears to have a pair green-cabled of electrodes inserted into the dome portion, from which a pair of ribbon cables extend downward to the base...but wondering when I would hear..."It's ALIVE!!!...It's ALIVE!!!"...after I flip the switch...
beyersmile.png

Meahwhile, back at the ranch...,if it is indeed a kit, it is beautifully realized, however, "I don't know nuthin bout wielding no solderin iron", nor much at all about electronics in general...would this be something a novice could construct?...out of curiosity, what would this confer to the 650's that the Lyr might not? 

Thank you for your attention and patience!

Peace,
T.A. Kogstrom       

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #9,797 of 46,527
Synergist969,

The CSP2+ is not a kit...Fully finished and all made in the USA (East Peoria, IL.)  www.decware.com

The three tubes in front are:  A front center driver tube, the next are the Left channel/Right channel tubes and then the big one is the Rectifier. The Big rectifier is a USAF-596 with an adapter for the wires....It is a Frankenstein looking thing!

Normally it would have a 5U4G or a 5Y3G rectifier, but 

THIS IS HEAD-FI......
biggrin.gif

so I did some tube rolling and changed it to the 596.....

Bottom line, awesome sound, no assembly required, US made and lifetime warranty....

Good Luck!

Dec 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #9,799 of 46,527
Quote:
In my 10+ years on forums, i dont think ive ever seen anyone write their post in proper paragraph structure.

This is the only writing where I don't have too!  It did look nice though....

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #9,800 of 46,527
  Gentlemen:

LOL...

(Assuming that both of you are male...lol...)...sorry 'bout the structure...just the way I was raised...
smile_phones.gif
...don't necessarily wish to set a trend...keep those suggestions coming...

"I am but an egg"...

Peace,
  T. A. Kogstrom

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #9,801 of 46,527
Quote:
  Gentlemen:

LOL...

(Assuming that both of you are male...lol...)...sorry 'bout the structure...just the way I was raised...
smile_phones.gif

"I am but an egg"...

Peace,
  T. A. Kogstrom

Male...Yes...My wife complains about the vagaries often!

To paraphrase...."I am but an English teacher"  
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #9,803 of 46,527
It is an imposing piece of glass!

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9,804 of 46,527
It looks like a Crack amp on crack. Sweet tube! Never heard of this amp till now. I like...

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9,805 of 46,527
Quote:
It looks like a Crack amp on crack. Sweet tube! Never heard of this amp till now. I like...

Terrific when matched up with the HD650's! They make another amp, The Taboo, that is designed for planer HP's....6W/Ch of tube output!

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #9,807 of 46,527
Quote:
  Gentlemen:

LOL...

smile_phones.gif

"I am but an egg"...

Peace,
  T. A. Kogstrom

I find the coherence and polite tone of your posts refreshing. You're old school. Don't dumb it down for the uncouth masses. 
wink.gif

To address your question a few pages back:

Go with the Lyr. It's a great sonic and aesthetic match for your Bifrost and will set you in good stead should you go down the ortho path in future. The Lyr is great if you want to tweak the sound of your rig. It responds very well to tube rolling, but the pitfall is that it can be an addictive and costly endeavour. Just be wary of the hype surrounding rare tubes and the prices they command.

Amperex tubes, particularly those made in Holland (Herleen factory), were largely overlooked in the Lyr tube rolling thread until recently. These tubes though have been well regarded for some time and are still in abundance (just be mindful of fakes). They have their sought after variants that demand a premium, but Bugle Boys and Orange Globes can be sourced for a reasonable price. Look into the Bugles for a polite, well balanced presentation with excellent clarity. The Orange Globes (particularly the A-frames if you're averse to hum and micro-phonics) will smother you in lush mids and an incredibly musical (though coloured) presentation.

The Lyr is not the be all that some have made it out to be in this thread. Given your intentions however, and the fact you already have a Bifrost, it's probably the best fit.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #9,808 of 46,527
Quote:

I find the coherence and polite tone of your posts refreshing. You're old school. Don't dumb it down for the uncouth masses. 
wink.gif

To address your question a few pages back:

Go with the Lyr. It's a great sonic and aesthetic match for your Bifrost and will set you in good stead should you go down the ortho path in future. The Lyr is great if you want to tweak the sound of your rig. It responds very well to tube rolling, but the pitfall is that it can be an addictive and costly endeavour. Just be wary of the hype surrounding rare tubes and the prices they command.

Amperex tubes, particularly those made in Holland (Herleen factory), were largely overlooked in the Lyr tube rolling thread until recently. These tubes though have been well regarded for some time and are still in abundance (just be mindful of fakes). They have their sought after variants that demand a premium, but Bugle Boys and Orange Globes can be sourced for a reasonable price. Look into the Bugles for a polite, well balanced presentation with excellent clarity. The Orange Globes (particularly the A-frames if you're averse to hum and micro-phonics) will smother you in lush mids and an incredibly musical (though coloured) presentation.

The Lyr is not the be all that some have made it out to be in this thread. Given your intentions however, and the fact you already have a Bifrost, it's probably the best fit.

Quote:

To whom it may interest:

Should I end up going the Mjolnir/balanced route with my amp choice, what recommendations would you have regarding re-wiring/re-cabling my 650's...who/what companies do that aftermarket conversion(?), and what kind of price range can I expect...Please feel free to make suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom 

The Lyr is certainly a good match.  If you go that route, I wouldn't overlook the current production Gold Lions.  If you do decide to go the balanced route (Mjolnir, BHA-1, etc), the cheapest option for recabling is to re-terminate the stock cable.  If you're not comfortable, there are plenty of people who will do it for you.  In fact, just send me a PM.  I've already got two extra stock HD650 cables, and I'll gladly reterminate one with two 3-pin XLRs or a 4-pin XLR.  (I've even got a couple extra 3-pins laying around already from when I made a cable for MorbidToaster).  It's by far the cheapest option (~$4 per XLR and ~$13 for the extra cord).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back