Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #571 of 46,554
I just spent Sunday Morning on 'em, nice fresh ears after a whole 8 hours sleep.
Total Audio Heaven, I'm not ever gonna spend the price of a car on headphones, I seriously reckon I'll be happy with these cans until the day I stop listening.
I want to know how to take out the foam.
I bet I buy a different cable for it before xmas too.
I'll buy it for Ange as a pressie, Homer Simpson style.
I just better have a real gift for her as back up, like an ironing board cover or something

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #572 of 46,554
just received some brand spanking 650's

first song i tried is pink floyd - Money. all i can say is WOW. they have a grand total of hmmm ~ 10minutes burn in and just sound amazing. Separation compared to anything else i've heard is on another level.

I thought hd25 were actually pretty comfy but man...these things are like having little cotton filled pillows on your ears O.O

i'll start leaving them to burn in on my desk over night at work for a week to get some hours into them. can anyone tell me a optimal amount of hours i should initially go for? 50? 100?

No way i'll be buying any more headphones. im done :p

Edit: seems 150+ hours is a decent amount of burning in for 650's

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #573 of 46,554
whats the best portable amp for the 650s below $300? (DAC preferred)

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #574 of 46,554
Just bring my HD650 to a new level
biggrin.gif

2912452405_29934c9304_b_d.jpg

2912452075_676a884d38_b_d.jpg

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #577 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's cryoed Vampire CCC-22. Can't believe it can sound so good like that
biggrin.gif

I am curious as to exactly what types of changes in the sound you are finding with your new cables.
I found that when I added my Darkvoice 332 amp the sound was vastly improved and I am considering changing out the cables

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #578 of 46,554
I own Equinox LE with HD650.

Pretty dramatic changes too ...

Bass more defined, much more soundstage width and deep, highs more pronounced (without be too much). Raise up the veil too but still keep the sennheiser sonority in general.

It's expansive but HD650 with stock ... you miss all the quality they can give you.

Somes don't hear a big improvement ...

I suggest you to try to audition one before buy because Equinox cost more than a new pair of HD650. 8-(

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #579 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsoxfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious as to exactly what types of changes in the sound you are finding with your new cables.
I found that when I added my Darkvoice 332 amp the sound was vastly improved and I am considering changing out the cables

Mine is only on it's 5th burn-in hour. What I noticed is the improvement in treble which the HD650 lacks. And it makes the sound a little bit brighter and very detailed.

I haven't tried any commercial cable yet. But I'm lucky that I can build it on my own and don't have to pay more than my HP.

Oct 5, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #580 of 46,554
where can you buy these aftermarket cables? i'm after a cable for my hd 650, but not made any progress.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #582 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can you buy these aftermarket cables? i'm after a cable for my hd 650, but not made any progress.

The Equinox is available at: Stefan AudioArt Home

The Zu Mobius: Mobius Sennâ„¢ Mk2 Sennheiser Headphone Cable

The A Pure Sound: APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure - APS Audio LLC.

The Moon Audio Silver or Black Dragon: Headphone Cable

I heard the Silver or Black Dragon and Equinox keeps the HD650's sonic signature but improves it. The Zu Mobius tends to make it brighter and makes big changes the HD650's sound.

I just ordered the Black Dragon because I like the HD650's sound but wanted a bigger soundstage, more 3D sound. And also because it's the cheapest of them all. I don't want to pay over $200 for a 5 ft cable. EDIT: I meant I got the Blue Dragon, not Black Dragon.

EDIT: I should clarify that by cheapest, I don't mean bad quality or sound. From the reviews I read here, the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and Black Dragon are very well made and sound amazing.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #583 of 46,554
Oct 6, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #584 of 46,554
Thanks YoNni22, I had found only half the cables on your list.

Oct 6, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #585 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by jernmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening to my music and I realized that the music sounded EXACTLY as I thought it should. I love these things.
icon10.gif

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, jernmo. You can talk about veils and bass depth and mid resolution etc till the cows come home, but the 650 just sounds right. I never feel I need more or less bass, midrange or treble (I love the way people divide up their reviews into these categories); I'm not even aware of such concepts while listening, nor of whether I'm missing detail or there's a lack of soundstage or any of the thousand and one considerations HP lovers are heir to. When a HP sounds right, everything else falls away. I don't even feel a need for exotic cables, or to rip foam out of my phones or even to examine its parts to see if mine was made this year or three years ago.

And as if the sound wasn't enough, hell's bells, they got the comfort right too! That's two for two!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back