Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5,206 of 46,514

Quote:
I've listened to some MJ on the HD650's. Not exactly the best pairing. I'll report back tomorrow after doing some auditioning with a mini review. 
smile.gif

Thanks a bunch, looking forward to it.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #5,208 of 46,514

Quote:
Quote:

Getting on with them well.  The tonal balance sounds better this time around, and not because this pair is different, but just because I think I've come to understand the tonal balance of neutrality better.  To keep in line with recent discussion, I think staging sounds fine.  Natural.  It works.  Separation is good, a step above something like the HD600.  Holographic imaging, no, none of that, it's not on the level of HD800s or the R10 in that department but that's expected/obvious/fair, no? 

Bass extends nice and low and timbre sounds good, though timbre is not on the level of something like the LCD-2s.  
The treble isn't as grain free, smooth and "endlessly" extended as some cans, thinking of the HE-6/SR-009 here.  

I'm really enjoying how engaging they are, and that's why I bought them over again.  They haven't disappointed.

Good stuff and nice overlook, pleased your enjoying them again.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #5,209 of 46,514
Can't believe one of me C3M tubes has gone... 10000 hours my ar$se! 

Anyhow,

I automatically went for my 650 replacement amp (X can V3) while I wait for a replacement tube. A couple of hours later and this amp just doesn't cut it for me anymore, treble sounds forced and metallic.. Bass is coloured, recessed mids.... snif.

What other amps have I got? without wanting to part my Grado's from their beloved Nicosoundlabs, I'm left with a Little Dot 1+.
Knowing that it has a higher gain option I immediately went to work removing those jumpers and plugging the little buggar in.

I speak now one week later,  and all I can say is; if you need a cheap option for your 650's you could do a lot worse than the cheapo LDI+ on high gain.(I use 2107 opamp and Westerm 408a tubes)

It wipes the floor with the Xcan v3, in all honesty. Really quite balanced and detailed, nothing to complain about. Mids especially, very engaging.

The LDI+ costs the same as a pair of replacement tubes for my OTL amp, and is now my new "stand by" 650 amp. Just goes to show how surprising this hobby can be!  it's never about price, always about matching.  
wink_face.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #5,210 of 46,514
Hello, HD650 family 
biggrin.gif

for how long do you burn the headphones?? and how do you burn them?
like playing music non stop 24/7 or using pink noise. what is the best method?

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #5,211 of 46,514
imo i think it performs will with any kind of music.
classical and laid back or bassy and aggresive. 

listen to racing green by high contrast and you'll see 
L3000.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #5,212 of 46,514

Quote:
Hello, HD650 family 
biggrin.gif

for how long do you burn the headphones?? and how do you burn them?
like playing music non stop 24/7 or using pink noise. what is the best method?

After 24 hours of music playback burn in, it seemed like my HD650 finally settled in.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #5,219 of 46,514

Quote:
There are T50RPs out there that sound as good or better than my HD650s, but Bras. knows what I'm referring to.

I haven't heard the T50RP's but I can only think that the modded versions would sound better. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #5,220 of 46,514

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly.  And also because those measurements don't really mean jack.  But while you're looking at them, ac500, try this one too, you've got the decay of those frequencies.  Also, you cannot have laid back treble without hearing more low-end, it's all interrelated.  

Balony!  Understand how to interpret a FR graph and it is the most important tool in understanding how the overall tonal balance of the headphone might sound, and with that how the timbres of the instruments might be replicated.  All other measurements might give you a better picture of the finer points, but one can never tell how a headphone's overall tonal balance with any other measurement other than the FR curve.

Quote:
I always felt the same, at least as far as FR goes. I feel the HD650 may be a little more "liquid" sounding, and quite fuller / substantial, but not by a huge margin. Do we know why speakers / headphones with a similar FR may sound quite different ? I've always wondered why, for example, as a generalisation, full-range speakers can give a bigger sound than smaller bookshelves, while still having a similar FR. What changes in the sound wave ?

More bass.  Specifically, more bass extension and less roll-off...these to me are very severe with bookshelves, which ultimately, IMO, need good subs to correct their frequency response balance.

Quote:
I haven't heard the T50RP's but I can only think that the modded versions would sound better. 

I can't imagine even the best modded T50 rp with a semiclosed earcup will have that true open sound of a good open headphone, like the HD650.  I do agree the planar advantage of the T50rp is indeed real.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back