Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #44,567 of 46,527
I don't touch this topic!! It's hot 🔥 very hot 🥵
No sweat - I have had my good experience when ordering an Arctic Signum+ for my Stellia's. It was only based on reviews and I was skeptical burning so much cash for a cable. However, the original 3.5 mm was very microphonic and I had the cash, so I tried/risked. And indeed, I was surprised to experience how my ears were pleased with the sound. I do know about snake oil etc. but even when I used the signup+ with my Arya's and compared with the stock, I was positively surprised and impressed. Of note, I do support you: I don't wish to start any arguments about cables....

Nov 13, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #44,568 of 46,527
Many Thanks. FWIW I just placed an order: Noir HPC Mk2 - Cable : Octa copper Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire (4x2 Geometry), Headphones : Sennheiser HD580/HD600/HD650/HD6XX/HD58X, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Neutrik 4-pin XLR balanced (male), Splitter : Forza AudioWorks CNC
Can't wait to hear the difference compared with the sennheiser stock. Hope it will be worth the 200€:)

200€ cable for a 200€ headphone? Somehow the word "overkill" comes to mind. But once it arrives, enjoy!

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #44,569 of 46,527
200€ cable for a 200€ headphone? Somehow the word "overkill" comes to mind. But once it arrives, enjoy!

But it's not really.a 200 eur headphone really, is it? Some of us believe these Sennheisers are the best headphones (for us) out there at any price point.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #44,570 of 46,527
I paid $400 for my 650 the first time around -- would've paid that again if the 6XX wasn't available.

200€ for a cable? Wouldn't personally do that but if it brings joy to the listener, that's great! :beerchug:

After all, headphones are a personal audio experience...and to each his own!

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #44,571 of 46,527
Yeah I trust you on that, my concern is that it may be overkill for the HD650. I am just beginning to explore the "balanced" territory.....

Yes - you're right - that was/is my concern.But it was late night and I was too trigger happy, inspired by my new balanced amp...:triportsad: Let's see or rather hear...

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #44,572 of 46,527
Yes - you're right - that was/is my concern.But it was late night and I was too trigger happy, inspired by my new balanced amp...:triportsad: Let's see or rather hear...
I am also curious to know if you have an difference (hopefully positive). I am in the market for hd650 to run out of my Audiovalve luminare. Heard tube amps are great pair for the hd650. If it goes well I will get the feliks audio echo mk2 for the gaming room with hd650. If the cable makes a big improvement then I might add that to the budget.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #44,573 of 46,527
IME, cables generally make much less difference to high(er) impedance cans like the HD650 or HD600. Pads make a bigger difference, or tubes in an OTL amp.

ATM, hearing my HD650 from Valhalla2, with slightly posh Russian 6N3P-DR, militarized triple mica 2C51-class bottles on adaptors. And Dekoni hybrid pads.

Inspired by comments here and on the HD600 thread, I finally pulled the stock foams I'd tried to use with Dekoni hybrid and sheepskin pads, which configuration never worked for me near as well as stock Senn pads/foams.

Dekonis are thicker than stock, kinda like going from L to G pads on a Grado, with similar effects from moving your ears further away from the drivers.

With the stock foams still in place, I find the highs suffer and lose apparent detail.

Using no foams with the Dekonis puts it all back right, with better bass, soundstage & imaging and, for me, superior comfort.

Since the Dekonis are deeper, there's little chance of contacting the drivers, but I haven't decided how I feel about leaving them exposed.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #44,574 of 46,527
IME, cables generally make much less difference to high(er) impedance cans like the HD650 or HD600. Pads make a bigger difference, or tubes in an OTL amp.

ATM, hearing my HD650 from Valhalla2, with slightly posh Russian 6N3P-DR, militarized triple mica 2C51-class bottles on adaptors. And Dekoni hybrid pads.

Inspired by comments here and on the HD600 thread, I finally pulled the stock foams I'd tried to use with Dekoni hybrid and sheepskin pads, which configuration never worked for me near as well as stock Senn pads/foams.

Dekonis are thicker than stock, kinda like going from L to G pads on a Grado, with similar effects from moving your ears further away from the drivers.

With the stock foams still in place, I find the highs suffer and lose apparent detail.

Using no foams with the Dekonis puts it all back right, with better bass, soundstage & imaging and, for me, superior comfort.

Since the Dekonis are deeper, there's little chance of contacting the drivers, but I haven't decided how I feel about leaving them exposed.
That is a very nice insight. I will definitely take a look on Dekoni hybrid to go with the hd650. So cables are not a big change then. Even going from stock to a balanced cable on a tube amp? Cheers

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #44,575 of 46,527
That is a very nice insight. I will definitely take a look on Dekoni hybrid to go with the hd650. So cables are not a big change then. Even going from stock to a balanced cable on a tube amp? Cheers
I do have Norne cables on some of my cans (LCD3f and HD800/SDR), Periapt on others (Beyer), and a GraveDigger I share between Elex & Ananda. All the rest are stock.

Differences from stock are most discernable with the low impedance cans. The Norne are wonderfully ergonomic, slinky and long, and balanced besides.

I prefer balanced for orthos, which do benefit from the most efficient power transfer available from my MJ2. It matters less with higher impedance cans, but could matter with a given amp.

The Gravedigger swings both ways, and I prefer it over Focal's stiff stock cables.

So, there may be good reasons to pick a new cable, ergonomics, length, termination, etc., perceived SQ improvements being just one.

But, HD650/HD600 do well with the stock cables. I do use a slightly beefier HD650 cable on my HD600, though, just because it IS slightly beefier. 😁

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #44,576 of 46,527
I am also curious to know if you have an difference (hopefully positive). I am in the market for hd650 to run out of my Audiovalve luminare. Heard tube amps are great pair for the hd650. If it goes well I will get the feliks audio echo mk2 for the gaming room with hd650. If the cable makes a big improvement then I might add that to the budget.
My ears (and bias) will keep you posted😎

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #44,577 of 46,527

I like to use silk organza in place (micro-mesh screen) rather than the OEM foam disc's if your looking for an alternative to try.

EJRpmG7.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #44,578 of 46,527
My definitive guide to Sennheiser’s 600 series (and the 800S)

Though this guide is covering the whole 600 series and the 800S, I thought I would share it here, as it seems most relevant to this thread (can’t find a Sennheiser all-in-one thread).

I hope I’m able to dispel myths of the 650/6XX being different - especially after I had previously released a video where I heard a difference. It turns out the pads being new or old really were the big difference alone. The 650/6XX are identical, as far as I can hear. I was wrong in my past video as I made the mistake of not trying fresh pads on my worn out 650. Apologies to the community for any disinformation/confusion that video caused 🙇🏻‍♂️

My findings now are that, ultimately, I personally enjoy the following headphones in this order:
1. 800S
2. 6XX/650
3. 600
4. 600S

But they are all special in their own way. I’m very close in what I feel when I try the 600 or the 6XX. The 600 is bright, sound separating, and engaging. The 6XX/650 is a warmer, but still engaging, and low end textured set. I can’t decide if I truly feel like one is “more” enjoyable. They both have tracks and genres that they each, separately, excel at for giving me that enjoyment factor.

The 800S is entirely the same story. It has strengths where the 600 series doesn’t. It is truly special to me on so much music. Namely classical, jazz, singer songwriter, and select tracks across other genres.

Then the 660S though…is a question mark for me. It seems like an attempt to evolve the 600 and 650; but as it picks strengths from each, it doesn’t excel as well in those traits as the headphones it is inspired by.

I hope my sharing helps the community of people interested in buying these or who already own them. I hope it helps the community 🙇🏻‍♂️

Peace!

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #44,580 of 46,527
My definitive guide to Sennheiser’s 600 series (and the 800S)

Though this guide is covering the whole 600 series and the 800S, I thought I would share it here, as it seems most relevant to this thread (can’t find a Sennheiser all-in-one thread).

I hope I’m able to dispel myths of the 650/6XX being different - especially after I had previously released a video where I heard a difference. It turns out the pads being new or old really were the big difference alone. The 650/6XX are identical, as far as I can hear. I was wrong in my past video as I made the mistake of not trying fresh pads on my worn out 650. Apologies to the community for any disinformation/confusion that video caused 🙇🏻‍♂️

My findings now are that, ultimately, I personally enjoy the following headphones in this order:
1. 800S
2. 6XX/650
3. 600
4. 600S

But they are all special in their own way. I’m very close in what I feel when I try the 600 or the 6XX. The 600 is bright, sound separating, and engaging. The 6XX/650 is a warmer, but still engaging, and low end textured set. I can’t decide if I truly feel like one is “more” enjoyable. They both have tracks and genres that they each, separately, excel at for giving me that enjoyment factor.

The 800S is entirely the same story. It has strengths where the 600 series doesn’t. It is truly special to me on so much music. Namely classical, jazz, singer songwriter, and select tracks across other genres.

Then the 660S though…is a question mark for me. It seems like an attempt to evolve the 600 and 650; but as it picks strengths from each, it doesn’t excel as well in those traits as the headphones it is inspired by.

I hope my sharing helps the community of people interested in buying these or who already own them. I hope it helps the community 🙇🏻‍♂️

Peace!

Nice comparison. The differences are very clear. Although I was surprised about the pretty big difference in sound between the HD650s and HD600s. Last time I heard both the differences were more subtle. I definitely preferred the HD650/HD6XXs in this comparison., closely followed by the HD660S's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back