Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #44,551 of 46,527
Well as I understand there is a difference between the HD6XX's and HD650's. After every 10 hours of listening to the HD6XXs you get interrupted by a loud Drop commercial: "Community-Inspired Products, Designed for Everyone.
Drop is designing products differently. By tapping into data and insights from uniquely passionate people and applying them to our curated selections and exclusive designs, we deliver inventive products that fuel your interests. Founded in 2012, Drop empowers people around the world to discover new, diverse products every day; participate in product development; and learn and share with a community 7 million strong.
Find and follow your passions on Drop.com and the Drop app for iPhone smartphones. You can also connect with us at @drop on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter."
:)

Nov 3, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #44,552 of 46,527
Well as I understand there is a difference between the HD6XX's and HD650's. After every 10 hours of listening to the HD6XXs you get interrupted by a loud Drop commercial: "Community-Inspired Products, Designed for Everyone.
Drop is designing products differently. By tapping into data and insights from uniquely passionate people and applying them to our curated selections and exclusive designs, we deliver inventive products that fuel your interests. Founded in 2012, Drop empowers people around the world to discover new, diverse products every day; participate in product development; and learn and share with a community 7 million strong.
Find and follow your passions on Drop.com and the Drop app for iPhone smartphones. You can also connect with us at @drop on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter."
:)
No big deal. It’s only a 15 second interruption.

Nov 10, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #44,553 of 46,527
Once again, a well-regarded, multi-award winning, beautifully made $800 planar magnetic is bested (IMHO) by the 580/600/650 (yes, I have one set of each, and they are all a little different, and they all have minor, simple, inexpensive modifications). I really wanted these to be it, they’re SO pretty, but something was never sat right with me and when, after 6 days of discomfort, I put my 650s on for a known control, they bested the $800 planars in every important way - that is, I could listen to music on them all night without worrying about whether it would or wouldn’t sound good. Indeed, to be cliché about it, as soon as I donned the 650s I stopped listening to the equipment and started listening to the headphones. My shoulders literally ‘unhunched.’ (Is that a word? If not, Dibs!)

At this point, I’m thinking that either my amp (an old Burson Soloist) just prefers higher impedance phones (or at least these Sennheisers), I personally have it in for the current trend to make headphones easier to drive by lowering the impedance or I’m just a Sennheiser fanboy and nothing else will ultimately make me happy. Whatever it is, I’m getting closer and closer to the point where I don’t think I’m ever going to find the headphone that bests the 580/600/650 in every way without giving up something important to me. I’ve said it many times - I keep trying to upgrade but, so far, I keep coming back to the Senns. Maybe, somewhere below the surface, I truly believe that these are all I need?

NB - I deliberately failed to identify the $800 planars in question just because they are indeed well regarded with many happy owners and I am not interested in getting in a war of “he said/she said”. I am merely stating my personal opinion that the 650s have once again successfully defended their position in MY arsenal against a highly touted, popular and ostensibly ‘higher end’, technically superior challenger. YMMV.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #44,554 of 46,527
Once again, a well-regarded, multi-award winning, beautifully made $800 planar magnetic is bested (IMHO) by the 580/600/650 (yes, I have one set of each, and they are all a little different, and they all have minor, simple, inexpensive modifications). I really wanted these to be it, they’re SO pretty, but something was never sat right with me and when, after 6 days of discomfort, I put my 650s on for a known control, they bested the $800 planars in every important way - that is, I could listen to music on them all night without worrying about whether it would or wouldn’t sound good. Indeed, to be cliché about it, as soon as I donned the 650s I stopped listening to the equipment and started listening to the headphones. My shoulders literally ‘unhunched.’ (Is that a word? If not, Dibs!)

At this point, I’m thinking that either my amp (an old Burson Soloist) just prefers higher impedance phones (or at least these Sennheisers), I personally have it in for the current trend to make headphones easier to drive by lowering the impedance or I’m just a Sennheiser fanboy and nothing else will ultimately make me happy. Whatever it is, I’m getting closer and closer to the point where I don’t think I’m ever going to find the headphone that bests the 580/600/650 in every way without giving up something important to me. I’ve said it many times - I keep trying to upgrade but, so far, I keep coming back to the Senns. Maybe, somewhere below the surface, I truly believe that these are all I need?

NB - I deliberately failed to identify the $800 planars in question just because they are indeed well regarded with many happy owners and I am not interested in getting in a war of “he said/she said”. I am merely stating my personal opinion that the 650s have once again successfully defended their position in MY arsenal against a highly touted, popular and ostensibly ‘higher end’, technically superior challenger. YMMV.
Yep...have mentioned this before but the 650 is the only set of cans that I've repurchased after cleaning the high-impedance headphone house when I got rid of my OTL amp.

They are my best pair of what I call my 'Shuffle Cans'...can listen to them for hours across genres and recording/mastering qualities :beerchug:

I also have a few high-end headphones that are definitely engaging listens...but not for hours on end like the 650!

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #44,555 of 46,527
Is it worth while upgrading the HD650 stock cable to a balanced XLR? In case of yes: which would you recommend? Thanks:smile_phones:

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #44,559 of 46,527
Your gear is inherently balanced, I would suggest that you should definitely go balanced.
I have been using a cable from FAW , the entry level variation and I am very happy with it.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #44,561 of 46,527

Yes, if you are based in EU it's a no brainer.
Many Thanks. FWIW I just placed an order: Noir HPC Mk2 - Cable : Octa copper Litz UPOCC Cryo 7N wire (4x2 Geometry), Headphones : Sennheiser HD580/HD600/HD650/HD6XX/HD58X, Length : 1,5 m, Plug : Neutrik 4-pin XLR balanced (male), Splitter : Forza AudioWorks CNC
Can't wait to hear the difference compared with the sennheiser stock. Hope it will be worth the 200€:)

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #44,563 of 46,527
The Noir is excellent, I used to own one for my x HD800/800S.
Yeah I trust you on that, my concern is that it may be overkill for the HD650. I am just beginning to explore the "balanced" territory.....

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #44,564 of 46,527
Yeah I trust you on that, my concern is that it may be overkill for the HD650. I am just beginning to explore the "balanced" territory.....
Why overkill?
The 650 is a great headphone and it deserves a good cable.
Let's not talk sound differences but only for aesthetic reasons.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #44,565 of 46,527
Why overkill?
The 650 is a great headphone and it deserves a good cable.
Let's not talk sound differences but only for aesthetic reasons.
Ok I am in for aesthetics too, but hope the SQ will be affected to the better as well:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back