Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #43,621 of 46,527
I have not yet tried that. I don't have a 1/4" to 2.5mm adapter for my HD650s, but that is a good idea. Since I primarily use my BTR5 with my se846s I didn't see that as an important need. I use the BTR5 in low gain mode for this use case.
Don't ever use a single-ended (TRS) cable with a balanced output, even with a single-ended to balanced adapter-- it can cause a short within the amp/DAC/DAP/whatever you're plugging into.
Only ever use cables that are specifically designed as balanced.

(You can, however, use a balanced cable in a single-ended output with an adapter.)

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #43,622 of 46,527
Don't ever use a single-ended (TRS) cable with a balanced output, even with a single-ended to balanced adapter-- it can cause a short within the amp/DAC/DAP/whatever you're plugging into.
Only ever use cables that are specifically designed as balanced.

(You can, however, use a balanced cable in a single-ended output with an adapter.)
Thanks for the education. I guess I'd have to completely replace the cable to the headphones for use as described by the other poster. That seems like a very expensive solution for using a bluetooth dac to get extra power.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #43,623 of 46,527
Thanks for the education. I guess I'd have to completely replace the cable to the headphones for use as described by the other poster. That seems like a very expensive solution for using a bluetooth dac to get extra power.
Correct.

This is one of the reasons I've been underwhelmed by the BTR5.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #43,624 of 46,527
Correct.

This is one of the reasons I've been underwhelmed by the BTR5.

I ruled out a balanced cable for my se846s because I don't have a DAP for high quality source music and it would limit my options for connecting them to other sources. If you are going to purchase a balanced cable, wouldn't it make sense to connect it directly to the source rather than suffer the file degradation inherent with Bluetooth?

The BTR5 is a much better solution that the other bluetooth options I looked at including Shures own offerings. It's decent for walking around as you can plug it in and put it into your pocket and walk around untethered. It's better than trying to walk around with a dongle attached to your iPhone.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #43,625 of 46,527
I ruled out a balanced cable for my se846s because I don't have a DAP for high quality source music and it would limit my options for connecting them to other sources. If you are going to purchase a balanced cable, wouldn't it make sense to connect it directly to the source rather than suffer the file degradation inherent with Bluetooth?

The BTR5 is a much better solution that the other bluetooth options I looked at including Shures own offerings. It's decent for walking around as you can plug it in and put it into your pocket and walk around untethered. It's better than trying to walk around with a dongle attached to your iPhone.
Well, I don't want to derail this thread, but...

Using balanced on the BTR5 is about extracting the best possible sound from the BTR5, not about getting the best theoretical sound, period. Whether or not it's as good as a good DAP/desktop amp/whatever is (kinda) irrelevant, since that's not what I'm using. What matters is having the BTR5 perform at its utmost. And Bluetooth and USB are so close that, unless I'm specifically listening for the differences, I don't really notice a difference.

Anyway, like I said, I don't want to steer this thread too far off topic. We can continue either in the BTR5 thread or via PM, if you want.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #43,626 of 46,527
I am a crazy music addict. I want to hear the HD600s even thought I am very happy with my HD650s. I will probably purchase a set just so I can know what they sound like and how they are different.

A little less bass, slightly stronger treble. :smile_phones:

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #43,627 of 46,527
How is the sound with this pairing? I primarily listen to my HD650s with a Bottlehead Crack or Chord Mojo. I found the BTR5 to be clean and clear, but lacked suffice bottom end bass and warmth for my liking.
Always personal preference I dare say. Can't really compare the warm/sticky Crack to a SS (Chip) design. I do like how the BTR5 flattens out the mid-bass hump on the 650s a little bit though. That elevation is the only thing that can annoy on certain tracks, it can bleed into the midrange and make wooden instrument body resonances bloomy sounding. The ESS DAC on the BTR5 is a good counter for this. Although can be a bit too clinical on the 600s, hence I tend to use my AKM based dongle DAC for that. Perfection is hard to come by...

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #43,628 of 46,527
I make my own cables. So if you have the soldering skills, just buy a balanced (2.5mm-MMCX) IEM cable off Drop or Linsoul Audio, then get some Sennheiser connectors off eBay. Snip the MMCX connectors off and solder / fit the Senn connectors. Hey Presto!

Sep 21, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #43,629 of 46,527
I make my own cables. So if you have the soldering skills, just buy a balanced (2.5mm-MMCX) IEM cable off Drop or Linsoul Audio, then get some Sennheiser connectors off eBay. Snip the MMCX connectors off and solder / fit the Senn connectors. Hey Presto!
+1 to this. A friend of mine made me a balanced cable for my HD6xx and it works great.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #43,631 of 46,527

Guess it depends what you mean by "very expensive", pretty easy to find balanced cables for Sennheiser headphones for less than $50 on Amazon, or even $20-30 if you're willing to wait long for something coming from Asia

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #43,632 of 46,527
Guess it depends what you mean by "very expensive", pretty easy to find balanced cables for Sennheiser headphones for less than $50 on Amazon, or even $20-30 if you're willing to wait long for something coming from Asia

eBay is another source. I paid around $60 for a well-made balanced cable for my HD 650.

Sep 22, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #43,633 of 46,527
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 22, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #43,634 of 46,527
eBay is another source. I paid around $60 for a well-made balanced cable for my HD 650.
Is the sound significantly better?

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #43,635 of 46,527
Is the sound significantly better?

The difference between using the unbalanced and balanced output of a balanced amplifier like the Cavalli Liquid Carbon are noticeable to my ears. They're not huge, but they are noticeable. It's worth exploring if you have a balanced amp IMHO. I don't hear any differences between different cables so I can't offer any opinions in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back