Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #42,346 of 46,523
That is more in line with what I figured they'd be like. I felt the same way about the HD800/700. I think I will stick to my 6XX :wink:
The HD800/800S is on another level from the HD6xx series. They aren’t as musical as the HD6xx series but they are way detailed and dynamic sounding. With a nice copper cable and some EQ’d sub bass they are tough to beat :o2smile:. The HD650’s are legends and deserve a spot in anyone’s collection.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #42,347 of 46,523
The HD800/800S is on another level from the HD6xx series. They aren’t as musical as the HD6xx series but they are way detailed and dynamic sounding. With a nice copper cable and some EQ’d sub bass they are tough to beat :o2smile:. The HD650’s are legends and deserve a spot in anyone’s collection.

I don't agree on the HD800, they aren't as musical, they are more detailed and dynamic but bass (or lack thereof) is terrible, mids sound artificial, with treble that can be glaring and a weird soundstage/instrument placement that just did not feel natural. If you need to EQ a $1700 headphone to make it sound right, something isn't right in my book. The HD6XX has its faults, and it's not my favorite or even main pair of headphones, but music is more true to life than the HD800.

Then again, I'm sure it depends on what kind of music you listen to, your taste, etc..

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #42,348 of 46,523
Couple of issues with 660S. Lack of much dynamics and the blunted upper-mids before the 5k. Makes 5k stands out a bit, which isn't a good transition in tonality. It does have some of the more of a fresh perception in sound, but also not so exciting and blunted/dull in dynamics. Not really needed in the 6 series collection. Good for taming pop music highs, but not really a potential for transparency.

Couple of issues with 650. Overly aggressive upper mids/ low treble, electric guitar far too dominant and loud, treble not as clearly defined, poor imaging, too slow and mushy for any music that isnt acoustic or jazz.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #42,349 of 46,523
I don't agree on the HD800, they aren't as musical, they are more detailed and dynamic but bass (or lack thereof) is terrible, mids sound artificial, with treble that can be glaring and a weird soundstage/instrument placement that just did not feel natural. If you need to EQ a $1700 headphone to make it sound right, something isn't right in my book. The HD6XX has its faults, and it's not my favorite or even main pair of headphones, but music is more true to life than the HD800.

Then again, I'm sure it depends on what kind of music you listen to, your taste, etc..
The HD800’s can sound artificial at times, which is why at the time when I owned them I preferred my HEK V2’s to them. I have the Pro iCan and I did add some XBass to the HD800’s to fill in the bottom end. I’m not a bass head, but there’s a lot of TOTL headphones I’ve heard that could use a little more sub bass. I agree with you about the HD650’s sounding more natural than the HD800’s, which is why I still have them.

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #42,350 of 46,523
Couldn't agree more with your assessment. The HD800 hurt my brain after about 30 minutes of listening. Even with the most laid back tubes I put in either the WA6, or Crack.
My initial reaction when I first got them was "HOLY FK" , I feel like I'm on the enterprise traveling in the galaxy of music. 30 minutes later, "HOLY FK" these things blow! LOL!
Spent 2 weeks with the 800's before I dumped them.
My 2 favorite cans a few years ago were the 700's, and 650's. I always wished I could morph them. They both have their trade offs. I feel I'm pretty damn close with the 58x.
All subjective though. Lol.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #42,352 of 46,523
That's the quality that they carry from the 700's , without the treble downfalls. that's what I love about the 58x. Soundstage isn't as extended, but the 58x carries the same dynamic , immersive, eerie holography.
Although I like my HD650 and HD6XX, my HD58X's get the most head time by far. They are just more lively and interesting sounding.

Apr 23, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #42,353 of 46,523
That's what Sennheiser told me ....
That the HD-660s would continue and replace the 650 but who knows if that will happen soon or at all .

The HD-58X jubilees took some of the steam out of the 660s sales because they are very close to the same sound at a fraction of the price .
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember something like that being said when they very first came out... but it was soon updated with a non-committal "well, maybe it'll replace the HD 650, depending on sales." I think that was toward the beginning of the HD 660 thread, if you want to look for it. Of course, now with 75k sales of the HD 6XX plus whatever the 650 is still pulling in, I doubt that they're in a rush to discontinue that line. And you're right, it's likely the HD 58X and 650/6XX are cannibalizing sales from the 660 S.

What they seem to have done, A Greek Comic Tragedy:
Sennheiser: The HD 650 sure is getting the long in the tooth. The People are champing at the bit for something New.
Chorus: Yeah! Give us something New!
Sennheiser: Here is the HD 660 S! The Heir to the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Huzz--
Sennheiser: But we still have the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Long live th--
Sennheiser: And now we've discounted The King as the HD 6XX, exclusive from MassDrop!
Chorus: Hooray! The King, only chea--
Sennheiser: Introducing The Crown Prince: the HD 58X!
Chorus: Hooray! Hurrah! ...wait a minute... Isn't that the Heir Apparent, the HD 660 S, only a lot cheaper?
Sennheiser: What? No! Totally not! See, the drivers are a different size! And it's a lot cheaper so you know it's not as good!
Chorus [really clamoring over itself with excitement and confusion]: We love Cheaper more than we love The King or the Heir Apparent!
Sennheiser: Huh? But Cheaper is not as good. You know that because it costs less--
Chorus 2: But we also love The King because now He is Cheaper, too! Huzzah!
Chorus 3: Some of us also really love the HD 660 S! To the Heir Apparent!
Chorus [all together]: We have many allegiances!
Sennheiser [to self]: Oh, god.
HD 660 S and HD 650: The hell just happened?

What they should have done (according to me):
Sennheiser: Coca-Cola The HD 650 sure is getting the long in the tooth. The People are champing at the bit for something New.
Sennheiser: Here is New Coke the HD 660 S! The Heir to Coca-Cola the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Boo! We love The King! We'll just drink Pepsi listen to Beats!
Sennheiser [to self]: Oh, shi--
[to Chorus]: Introducing Coke Classic the HD 650!
Chorus: The King is risen! Long live The King!
Sennheiser: Happy Easter, everybody!

Apr 23, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #42,354 of 46,523
Couldn't agree more with your assessment. The HD800 hurt my brain after about 30 minutes of listening. Even with the most laid back tubes I put in either the WA6, or Crack.
My initial reaction when I first got them was "HOLY FK" , I feel like I'm on the enterprise traveling in the galaxy of music. 30 minutes later, "HOLY FK" these things blow! LOL!
Spent 2 weeks with the 800's before I dumped them.
My 2 favorite cans a few years ago were the 700's, and 650's. I always wished I could morph them. They both have their trade offs. I feel I'm pretty damn close with the 58x.
All subjective though. Lol.

Yep, I also used my Singlepower tube amp, headphone out of Benchmark DAC1, and RME ADI DAC2, and they were really harsh. I regret buying them as I took a hit when reselling.

Apr 23, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #42,355 of 46,523
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember something like that being said when they very first came out... but it was soon updated with a non-committal "well, maybe it'll replace the HD 650, depending on sales." I think that was toward the beginning of the HD 660 thread, if you want to look for it. Of course, now with 75k sales of the HD 6XX plus whatever the 650 is still pulling in, I doubt that they're in a rush to discontinue that line. And you're right, it's likely the HD 58X and 650/6XX are cannibalizing sales from the 660 S.

What they seem to have done, A Greek Comic Tragedy:
Sennheiser: The HD 650 sure is getting the long in the tooth. The People are champing at the bit for something New.
Sennheiser: Here is the HD 660 S! The Heir to the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Huzz--
Sennheiser: But we still have the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Long live th--
Sennheiser: And now we've discounted The King as the HD 6XX, exclusive from MassDrop!
Chorus: Hooray! The King, only chea--
Sennheiser: Introducing The Crown Prince: the HD 58X!
Chorus: Hooray! Hurrah! ...wait a minute... Isn't that the Heir Apparent, the HD 660 S, only a lot cheaper?
Sennheiser: What? No! Totally not! See, the drivers are a different size! And it's a lot cheaper so you know it's not as good!
Chorus [really clamoring over itself with excitement and confusion]: We love Cheaper more than we love The King or the Heir Apparent!
Sennheiser: Huh? But Cheaper is not as good. You know that because it costs less--
Chorus 2: But we also love The King because now He is Cheaper, too! Huzzah!
Chorus 3: Some of us also really love the HD 660 S! To the Heir Apparent!
Chorus [all together]: We have many allegiances!
Sennheiser [to self]: Oh, god.
HD 660 S and HD 650: The hell just happened?

What they should have done (according to me):
Sennheiser: Coca-Cola The HD 650 sure is getting the long in the tooth. The People are champing at the bit for something New.
Sennheiser: Here is New Coke the HD 660 S! The Heir to Coca-Cola the HD 650! Long live The King!
Chorus: Boo! We love The King! We'll just drink Pepsi listen to Beats!
Sennheiser [to self]: Oh, shi--
[to Chorus]: Introducing Coke Classic the HD 650!
Chorus: The King is risen! Long live The King!
Sennheiser: Happy Easter, everybody!

Now that cheered me up lol

Apr 23, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #42,356 of 46,523
If you need to EQ a $1700 headphone to make it sound right, something isn't right in my book.
on one hand I understand the expectation that expensive stuff should be good as they are. I generally think that way too. on the other hand, people have different heads so they will perceive the response from the same headphone differently. one headphone, no matter how amazing it is, cannot hope to offer the best/preferred response for everybody. it's the same thing for speakers TBH(but for slightly different reason!). just buying amazing speakers and placing them in our respective rooms will not result in the same sound at our listening positions. in both cases, there is a physical reason to involve customization. we usually try endless models of headphones and hope to get lucky, which for some of us does happen I'm sure. but for everybody else, EQ(or even more advanced DSPs) remains the obvious way to get the sound just right for them(assuming they clearly know what they're looking for already!!!!!) out of something that's "almost right".

ps: not trying to defend the HD800, I can't stand the default signature.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #42,357 of 46,523
on one hand I understand the expectation that expensive stuff should be good as they are. I generally think that way too. on the other hand, people have different heads so they will perceive the response from the same headphone differently. one headphone, no matter how amazing it is, cannot hope to offer the best/preferred response for everybody. it's the same thing for speakers TBH(but for slightly different reason!). just buying amazing speakers and placing them in our respective rooms will not result in the same sound at our listening positions. in both cases, there is a physical reason to involve customization. we usually try endless models of headphones and hope to get lucky, which for some of us does happen I'm sure. but for everybody else, EQ(or even more advanced DSPs) remains the obvious way to get the sound just right for them(assuming they clearly know what they're looking for already!!!!!) out of something that's "almost right".

ps: not trying to defend the HD800, I can't stand the default signature.

I hear you and don't get me wrong, I am not trying to knock on EQing, I use it for fun all the time, but if you need to do some major EQing to get such expensive gear to sound good, chances are you can find an alternative that sounds closer to what you want, a pair that's "almost right" like you said, with minimal EQing required. There are so many different options for headphones / speakers / IEM nowadays, why anyone would choose to spend $1700 and do major EQing is beyond me. Like you said also, it's hard without years of experience to know what you're looking for, much less EQing that sound signature just right.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #42,358 of 46,523
Anyone else here try the new HM5 Suede Pads on the HD650/6XX and if so what do you think? I've got a pair mounted on one of my HD650's (have 3 of em) and I think I might actually prefer it to the stock pads (with a little eq). The comfort bonus is nothing short of wonderful. Side note they sounded pretty off trying to mount them with the stock pad rings (that come with the HD650 pads), but they were quite decent with the modhouse audio rings (deep ones that allow stock foam). I am also using the stock hd 650 foam on them and I remove any of the added clamp by bending the metal of the headband (so I don't crack the plastic top part).

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #42,359 of 46,523
Can someone tell me, is this HD650 of mine is old batch or new batch, since i bought this used from online seller but he didnot know, maybe anyone can identify, here's the picture

IMG_20190426_003558.jpg IMG_20190426_003609.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back