Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #40,771 of 46,505
The diaphragm on my right driver/capsule has a small collapsed part on it and now my lows & mids are noticably lopsided, apparently it's possible to suck it back to normal ... so long as you don't overdo it. Is this actually a viable method of repair or am I better off getting a replacement capsule?
Go for it, got nothing to lose, take one for the team.. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck!!

Feb 13, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #40,772 of 46,505
This has alot of power, volume at 7’o clock
D36AAD00-4005-409D-B241-4BC5A972BBD6.jpeg

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #40,775 of 46,505
Go for it, got nothing to lose, take one for the team.. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck!!

Well I'll be damned, it actually worked! A gentle little suckle and then there was a pleasant "thwop" sound, and it's back without so much as a dimple! That's £60 I don't have to worry about anymore woooooooooo!

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #40,778 of 46,505
I'm getting an infarct just reading this stuff about sucking the dimple out of a driver...

(ie, in my case, that little "thwop" sound would be a ventricle blowing right off my heart)

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #40,779 of 46,505
Just got my HD650 yesterday from UPS. This is a really nice set of cans! I'm surprised that I already feel this way, despite the grip of death, lack of burn-in, and the fact that I'm currently separated from my favorite amplification option.

Hard to say what contributes to this really nice impression ... I like the laid-back attitude that these headphones project. I like that they don't seem to be amp-picky. The mids are warm and inviting. Plenty of detail. I'm quite happy with the bass -- it's not overwhelming, as with other headphones.

And the imaging and instrument placement is outstanding. Wide. Not the surreal imaging of my AKG, but that is a good thing. I was startled by the placement of voices and instruments in familiar songs at first, and then realized that this is what happens with great balance and stereo imaging.

Much more listening to occur --- I'm just very pleased that after 15 years on the market, I've finally got myself a pair of HD650's. I don't buy headphones that often and every time I've added a new set of cans, I've always had to make some kind of dac or amp change to arrive at "this sounds good to me now." Pleased that these Senn's are so nicely engineered and forgiving that they are a pleasant discovery right out of the box. Looking forward to continued tweaking and improvements!

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #40,780 of 46,505
Just got my HD650 yesterday from UPS. This is a really nice set of cans! I'm surprised that I already feel this way, despite the grip of death, lack of burn-in, and the fact that I'm currently separated from my favorite amplification option.

Hard to say what contributes to this really nice impression ... I like the laid-back attitude that these headphones project. I like that they don't seem to be amp-picky. The mids are warm and inviting. Plenty of detail. I'm quite happy with the bass -- it's not overwhelming, as with other headphones.

And the imaging and instrument placement is outstanding. Wide. Not the surreal imaging of my AKG, but that is a good thing. I was startled by the placement of voices and instruments in familiar songs at first, and then realized that this is what happens with great balance and stereo imaging.

Much more listening to occur --- I'm just very pleased that after 15 years on the market, I've finally got myself a pair of HD650's. I don't buy headphones that often and every time I've added a new set of cans, I've always had to make some kind of dac or amp change to arrive at "this sounds good to me now." Pleased that these Senn's are so nicely engineered and forgiving that they are a pleasant discovery right out of the box. Looking forward to continued tweaking and improvements!
Congrats, if these sound that good to you out of the box then musical nirvana bliss will come after some burn in. I've read that angels part the heavens and the earth shakes a little at the 1000 hour mark. And how old is this design?

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #40,781 of 46,505
Could you tell me an amplifier or amp / dac in the range of € 100 that I can buy to use with the 650 while I expect to be able to buy the A20 amp?

leaving the 650 with a soft and musical sound to listen is my interest, I know that for this price I can not want an amplifier / dac analytical and detailed.
At the moment, I'm listening to the 650 and it's very pleasant to listen to, but it lacks power at low frequencies and it's necessary to open more in the middle and high frequencies, and I would like to improve this overall, since I can not buy the A20 in the next few months .

When I can buy, I will go between the A20 and Lake People 109, I still do not know which DAC would work best with one of these amplifiers, but it would be better to buy an amp / dac now and then when I could buy the amplifier, dac just as dac

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #40,782 of 46,505
@Carcara, I'd just use the HD650 as is until you can buy either the A20 or G-109 that you want since spending 100 euros may not / will not get you much better than what you currently have. The only 100 euro amp that I can think of that I would consider is the Magni3 but I'm not sure what it would cost in your country and while the Magni3 is a great amp its not one that I would consider for the HD650 since its a touch on the warm side and the HD650 being a warm sounding headphone it will probably make the bass muddy and make the HD650 overly warm sounding IMO. I've only tried the Magni3 once with the HD650 and I really didn't do critical listening since it was not the primary headphone that I wanted to try on the Magni3 but it was not a sound that I cared for due to overly warm nature of the pairing.

I'm going to assume that when you say "lacks power at low frequencies" you mean the bass is muddy/bloated versus a lack of bass and your choices of a SS amp is for better control of the bass.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #40,783 of 46,505
@Carcara, I'd just use the HD650 as is until you can buy either the A20 or G-109 that you want since spending 100 euros may not / will not get you much better than what you currently have. The only 100 euro amp that I can think of that I would consider is the Magni3 but I'm not sure what it would cost in your country and while the Magni3 is a great amp its not one that I would consider for the HD650 since its a touch on the warm side and the HD650 being a warm sounding headphone it will probably make the bass muddy and make the HD650 overly warm sounding IMO. I've only tried the Magni3 once with the HD650 and I really didn't do critical listening since it was not the primary headphone that I wanted to try on the Magni3 but it was not a sound that I cared for due to overly warm nature of the pairing.

I'm going to assume that when you say "lacks power at low frequencies" you mean the bass is muddy/bloated versus a lack of bass and your choices of a SS amp is for better control of the bass.

I was thinking this, I probably would not feel much gain with a € 100. I'll wait then. I'm using the 650 with the E1 amp / dac, and even though it does not have power for the 650, the E1 is making the sound signature very pleasant, the bass frequencies are with a round bass, but it does not go as deep or punch as the middle and high frequencies are also pleasing, but lack as I said open more to stay more organic.

People describe the Amp A20 as musical and warm sound, and it fits in well with the high-impedance Sennheiser VS 109 which would be a transparent and neutral sound, I really do not know which of these two would fit better and with which DAC matches, but I am wanting to spend more on the Amp than on the dac, and also, since I will buy another HD650 to have two headphones, then if a dac like the DF or similar price gives a sufficient sound and combine with the amplifier to use with my PC it will be awesome

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #40,784 of 46,505
What suggestions does everyone have for portable dac/amp for the HD650? I'm looking in the sub 300usd range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back