Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #35,704 of 46,514
Hi i have a budget of $550usd. was considering the valhalla 2 as my amp but unsure of what dac to pair it with. Mind if u could provide me with some insights?

Thanks!

Modi Multibit at $250 new is fantastic. Valhalla 2 also pairs very well with the 650 and is what I use with mine. If you want to save a little bit, the Vali 2 is also an excellent pairing.

Just make sure that if you go the Modi Multibit route, that you can leave the Dac on 24/7. Multibit dacs have a warm-up period that is best to just leave them on.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #35,705 of 46,514
Is there such a think as an rca splitter so I can run ember ii and Jot out of my dac?

The SYS from schiit used backwards is one way the other is to use something like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/gold-rca-y-(1)-male-to-(2)-right-angle-female-red--091-510
 or
http://www.parts-express.com/rca-male-to-dual-rt-angle-rca-female--091-1045

Just remember you will 2 of either

Its how I use 2 DACs with 4 amps

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #35,708 of 46,514
Is there such a think as an rca splitter so I can run ember ii and Jot out of my dac?

I use these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009MFRW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #35,709 of 46,514
  @ContractorHei, while I've never heard a DV 336, I have a BH Crack and have used my friends Valhalla2 a few times along with my Lyr2 and Ember, the BH Crack is the best pairing with the HD-650 in this price range IMO.  Just remember that you will/should change the stock tubes and this will add to the cost.  My favorite tubes for the Crack are TS-5998 for the power tube and Telefunken 12AU7 for the driver, note that these will add about $150-250 to the price of the Crack.

If you have other headphones then I would seriously look at the Ember, it is much more flexible since you can change the output resistance to match almost any headphone out there and the 12XXX series tubes are not the most pricy at this time or if you feel like pushing it there are adapters to go to dual tubes and other tube families.

The Valhalla2 is the most neutral sounding between the Crack, Ember and Lyr2, it can be dry sounding to some but the dynamics are quite good IMO.  I haven't done much tube rolling with it, only rolled the drivers so its basic characteristic didn't change much to me, seems like tube rolling has less of an effect on the Valhala2 than on the other amps where tube rolling has a larger effect on the sound characteristics of the amp.

DACs that I use: UD-301, Bimby, Uber and 4490 Modi.

Thanks a lot for the comparisons! The Bottlehead Crack really is something huh. For a first time tube user I'll probably stick to the tubes it comes with, but I'll take a note of this. Where do you get your tubes from? Ebay? Never bought anything there yet. Dunno how reliable it is tbh.

I wish I could demo it to hear if it's really worth splunging down nearly €600 for.

Edit: As a HD598 user, I find myself pulling the HD650 up when removing them from my head until I bump into its cables. >.< Gotta get used to these now!

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #35,710 of 46,514
  Thanks a lot for the comparisons! The Bottlehead Crack really is something huh. For a first time tube user I'll probably stick to the tubes it comes with, but I'll take a note of this. Where do you get your tubes from? Ebay? Never bought anything there yet. Dunno how reliable it is tbh.

I wish I could demo it to hear if it's really worth splunging down nearly €600 for.

Edit: As a HD598 user, I find myself pulling the HD650 up when removing them from my head until I bump into its cables. >.< Gotta get used to these now!

At 600euros that's quite a bit for a BH Crack, if you are thinking of spending this much I would look at the Feliks Elise which is about 100euros more if I did the conversation right and its from Poland so might be cheaper for you there.  Its also more flexible in the headphones that it can drive from what I've been reading on that thread.  While I haven't heard the Elise there are a few others that had the Project Ember (I still have mine) before and everyone says its an improvement over the Ember.  I didn't know that a BH Crack cost that much these days, I paid $360 2 years ago and that included shipping ($55) to Hawaii and the Speedball option ($20 at the time IIRC).

I've gotten tubes from Ebay, TubeMonger, Parts Express and a few other places.  If you go to the tube rolling threads of some amps they have some great recommendations in addition to being able to help if you have any questions.  Its a bit intimidating at first since there are so many things to consider but take your time and ask questions, better to be safe than sorry.

My HD-650 doesn't get much use these days, after building some headphones with Ypsilon and Nhoord drivers the HD-650 is a bit less dynamic and to a few other a bit dull sounding compared to the Ypsilon or Nhoord drivers.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #35,711 of 46,514
Actually, the amp itself doesn't cost that much. But the custom fees/taxes, shipping cost (and, maybe, other fees of assembling for those who don't want to do it themselves) do. In EU, I am looking for this amp with better prices and right voltage, but I haven't found the right one yet. 
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #35,712 of 46,514
Listening to the 560 and 650 out of Jot. The 560 presents the music more cleanly I think, a clearer picture into what is going on - details are presented forward. Subbass is awesome, and treble extension is effortless. However, I keep going back to the romantic sound of the 650. Something about it. It is clear and detailed, sure. But that is not what I like. Music is presented to me as music, not something to be analyzed. It is effortless, sweeping, comfortable, romantic.

I am falling in love with the hd650.

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #35,713 of 46,514
Listening to the 560 and 650 out of Jot. The 560 presents the music more cleanly I think, a clearer picture into what is going on - details are presented forward. Subbass is awesome, and treble extension is effortless. However, I keep going back to the romantic sound of the 650. Something about it. It is clear and detailed, sure. But that is not what I like. Music is presented to me as music, not something to be analyzed. It is effortless, sweeping, comfortable, romantic.

I am falling in love with the hd650.

Yuck. :D

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #35,715 of 46,514
  hows the jotunheim with the hd650s?

I'm in awe.  This pairing is the real deal.  I think this audition is turning into an early present for myself.  The HD650 has subbass, who'da thunk it...  (The Jot is awesome with the Z7s too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back