Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #34,832 of 46,564
...So my question is, Is this a single driver phone or perhaps concentric? I think probably single, but I don't want to assume. I know the material is aluminum. ...

Single diaphragm is very transparent for aluminium, they call it a Duofol diaphragm

blog_600-driver-assy-300x225.jpg

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #34,834 of 46,564
  And I have one other very basic question: I know there are tiny markings for left and right, but in low light, how do you know which way to position them on your head? 

Thanks!

There are three little "Braille bumps" on the frame of the left ear cup, you should feel them with your left index finger as you're putting them on. Impossible to get wrong even in pitch dark.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #34,835 of 46,564
Having both the K7XX & TH-X00 runing through Grace M9XX, which headphone should be better to compliment both the headphones I have?

HD600 or HD650? Offering a different sound to switch daily. Would the Grace M9XX run it to its full potential?

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #34,836 of 46,564
Having both the K7XX & TH-X00 runing through Grace M9XX, which headphone should be better to compliment both the headphones I have?

HD600 or HD650? Offering a different sound to switch daily. Would the Grace M9XX run it to its full potential?

Both will work, it depends on what you want the focus to be. The HD 600 will likely be more different of the two from your current headphones. If you had the K712(more mid-focused and intimate than the K7XX) I would say get the HD 650, but since you have the K7XX, the HD 600 may be better.

The HD 600 is going to be more intimate and upfront sounding with better vocals imho, slightly less bass and slightly more mid-focused, don't really expect a wide soundstage out of them. The HD 650 is going have a wider soundstage, have better imaging, more laid-back,and better ability to reproduce instruments and more complex assembles, still good in vocals but I feel the HD 600 has the edge. Not familiar with the Grace M9XX, so can't say if it will drive them to their full potential.

Aug 2, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #34,837 of 46,564

I agree with what @kman1211 posted but if you are looking for a complimentary headphone with a different sound then I would get a RS2e or HE-400i, very different sounding from either the K7XX and TH-X00 and both will be well driven by your m9xx.

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #34,840 of 46,564
I wouldn't necessary say the HD 600 is better with vocals as it can sound quite harsh on some setups.

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #34,841 of 46,564
Could the commenter above [Kman] (or others) please elaborate on how vocals are better on the 600 or how vocals differ at all from the 650? Thanks in advance. I do love my vocals.

It's largely due to the HD 600 having a stronger presence region(2-4khz region) and it's more intimate soundstage brings vocals more in focus than the HD 650. There are also more subtle differences related to slightly different drivers and dampening. I found the HD 650 to have a bit of disconnect to its vocals compared to the HD 600 on certain systems. The HD 650 is more refined overall though.

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #34,842 of 46,564
  Could the commenter above [Kman] (or others) please elaborate on how vocals are better on the 600 or how vocals differ at all from the 650? Thanks in advance. I do love my vocals.

I like the HD-650 better for female vocals since the HD-600 has a peak around 4-5 kHz that sometimes bothers me, to me the HD-650 is a bit smoother in the frequency region of female vocals but since we all hear differently it might be different for you.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #34,843 of 46,564
Hey all, stupid question here, but what benefit would there be to adding a balanced cable to the 650?

I know in the full size 2 channel world, fully balanced systems are said to have better noise rejection, and fully balanced amp topoligies have a dedicated "hot", "cold" and "ground" wire, that supposedly allows your amplifier to have better control over the drivers (my main setup is fully balanced BTW).

Does having a fully balanced DAC, headamp, and headphones net you similar results?

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #34,844 of 46,564
  Hey all, stupid question here, but what benefit would there be to adding a balanced cable to the 650?

Does having a fully balanced DAC, headamp, and headphones net you similar results?

​I can only speak from my own experience, and that is using the HD 650 with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which is a balanced amp. In my case there is a noticeable difference in the sound. With the balanced cable the HD 650 sounds more dynamic and lively, and also (to my ears) more resolving without sacrificing its legendary musicality. I don't have a balanced DAC or other balanced amps, so I cannot say what (if any) improvements you can expect in general by going balanced.

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #34,845 of 46,564

I know in the full size 2 channel world, fully balanced systems are said to have better noise rejection, and fully balanced amp topoligies have a dedicated "hot", "cold" and "ground" wire, that supposedly allows your amplifier to have better control over the drivers (my main setup is fully balanced BTW).

Go for the sound you like. If the amplifier is balanced, use balanced. If it's single ended, use that. 

The reason why LC sounds better in balanced is because it was designed for that. That doesn't mean balanced > single ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back