Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #34,651 of 46,554
I agree but would also suggest a good integrated amp too. My NAD C 326BEE makes my HD650's sing.

I've heard the NAD integrateds have nice headphone outs, but I meant cheap like 25-100 bucks to get your feet wet. My first vintage receiver was a 30 dollar garage sale find for 30 bucks. It was a Pioneer sx-550, a bottom rung 20wpc mid 70's unit. Hooked up my dac and plugged in my 650's and was like holy crap! It blew the doors off my Asgard 2 in every possible way.

Fast forward a few years and a bunch of craigslist finds later and I've got my end game peice, a Sansui 9090 which was totl in 75. I had it brought back up to factory spec by a Macintosh tech for a couple hundred bucks and its by far the best I've ever heard my 650's sound, giant three dimensional soundstage, strong punchy bass, clean detailed highs and a warm enveloping midrange. It also drives my power hungry Dahlquist dq20 speakers exceptionally well...

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #34,655 of 46,554
The Nighthawk is smooth as anything. Some might feel a bit too smooth, with a punchy bass. It does have something quite different about its sound which when I first heard it, I felt that it was way off tonally. It's so smooth and warm though that it's easy for long listening sessions and you kind of adjust to it very individual sound.

I only had it on loan and really was in two minds about it. Not sure if I'd buy one at the price it goes for.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #34,656 of 46,554
The Nighthawk is smooth as anything. Some might feel a bit too smooth, with a punchy bass. It does have something quite different about its sound which when I first heard it, I felt that it was way off tonally. It's so smooth and warm though that it's easy for long listening sessions and you kind of adjust to it very individual sound.

I only had it on loan and really was in two minds about it. Not sure if I'd buy one at the price it goes for.

How much does it sell for now.?

New set and used set.

How wide is the improvement over the HD650?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #34,657 of 46,554
Hi guys,

Jonathan here..
Am contemplating to buy a hd650 or the he500 or the he400i..?

My preferences dark sound headphones with liquid sweet of female vocal.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Of your 3 choices, HD-650 but only if you have a decent amp, preferably a OTL tube.  The HE-400i is on the brighter side to me and the HE-500 will be closer to the HD-650 in tone but with better bass and need a decent amp to power them.

I've never heard the Nighthawk but a friend who had one said its dark/warm sounding and it takes some getting used to the unique sound signature, some can adapt to the sound while others can't.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #34,658 of 46,554
I sold my 400i a while back in favor of my hd650. As long as you've got a nice amp (doesn't have to be expensive) I'd say go for the hd650. The only thing sonically about the 400i that I felt was better was the bass extension and speed. Everything else I would hand to the hd650.

I listen to a lot of stuff with female vocals and they are definitely better in hd650. I felt they were sometime fatiguing on the 400i. Nothing I've heard yet does female vocals as well as the hd650.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #34,659 of 46,554
How much does it sell for now.?

New set and used set.

How wide is the improvement over the HD650?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Not sure what it sells for now, but I'm not certain that it's an improvement. It is a very dark sounding headphone and frankly, the wires are awful.

I found it very odd tonally, although once your head adjusts, it's detailed. I found it hard to get over the goal qualities TBH.

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #34,660 of 46,554
Thanks guys for the opinion.

But i like typically hifiman headphones.

I own a he 500 and tested the hd650.

I prefer the 500 after 1 month listening.

I want to hear the seinn sound house again as previously, my audition is just 1 hour.

Apart from that, i would like to have a thicker sound signature.

I have an offer for the he400i for 250 usd only, which i think may worth it.

Nighthawk is too expensive.

For this headphone, i want to have it for the go.

Thanks guys,
Regards,
Jonathan

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #34,661 of 46,554
I'm hard pressed to think of a headphone that presents female vocals better then the HD650.  I was paying attention to the Focal Elears, as I kept hearing "super HD650s" thrown around.  But then I hear the counter that the HD650 still does mids better.

How can any headphone be called a "super HD650" without being spectacular with the mids is beyond me...

Jul 13, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #34,662 of 46,554
I'm hard pressed to think of a headphone that presents female vocals better then the HD650.  I was paying attention to the Focal Elears, as I kept hearing "super HD650s" thrown around.  But then I hear the counter that the HD650 still does mids better.

How can any headphone be called a "super HD650" without being spectacular with the mids is beyond me...
For me Female vocals depends on amp. With amps that have recession in upper mids(most tube amps and some ss), vocals sound muted, unexciting like they should be and lack extension. With clean ss i absolutely loved its vocals, with warm amps i hate it:D

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #34,663 of 46,554
For me Female vocals depends on amp. With amps that have recession in upper mids(most tube amps and some ss), vocals sound muted, unexciting like they should be and lack extension. With clean ss i absolutely loved its vocals, with warm amps i hate it:D

at home, female vocals depend on my EQ settings ^_^.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #34,664 of 46,554

I didn't like the sound with most SS amps, it made the mids to forward and shouty.  Guess that's why there are many different amps that people will say work well with the HD-650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back