Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #34,592 of 46,514
just ordered these, hoping it helps with my comfort issues :)

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00OF71WWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468149248&sr=8-1&keywords=wool+headband+cushion

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #34,593 of 46,514
  just ordered these, hoping it helps with my comfort issues :)

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Replacement-Protector/dp/B00OF71WWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468149248&sr=8-1&keywords=wool+headband+cushion

hope they work for you
L3000.gif

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #34,594 of 46,514
thanks, tbh im just gonna do whatever i can to make these comfortable, cus ive tried quite a few headphones recently and nothing comes to the 650s!! 

usually companies market german vanity and give you less for more, but sennheiser literally gives you the best for less!! I mean granted sennheiser amps/dacs have a bit of snake and pretty much all dacs and solid state amps out there have become obsolete after the o2odac, but their headphones blow everything else out of the water. 

I would totally apply for a job at sennheiser, but if i got turned down i would literally get depressed enough to kill myself. 

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #34,595 of 46,514
wow if we only allow one company to produce things and have no innovation we would never have any technology advancements. I have the HD650's but my HiFiMans trounce them. I rate Beyer Dynamic and AKG very highly too

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #34,598 of 46,514
  hehe gotta give the 650's some love though

which hifimans do you have? do you have an OTL amp for the 650s? i am very skeptical of marketing and how people said the 650s scale up - because I tried quite a few schiity amps like the valhalla 2 and lyr 2 and heard no difference vs my o2, but when I got an LDmk3 with Mullard tubes, it just really opened up the 650s to a whole new level =|  

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #34,600 of 46,514
  which hifimans do you have? do you have an OTL amp for the 650s? i am very skeptical of marketing and how people said the 650s scale up - because I tried quite a few schiity amps like the valhalla 2 and lyr 2 and heard no difference vs my o2, but when I got an LDmk3 with Mullard tubes, it just really opened up the 650s to a whole new level =|  

As good as my BH Crack is the best I've heard the HD-650 is with a EC Balancing Act and Liquid Glass, either of these amps make the HD-650 better than the almost anything under $1000.  But a HE-560 driven by those two amps will be still a bit better IMO.

I don't think you will hear much differences between most Schiit amps, they are great for the price but all tend to have the same house tone that even with very different tubes still retain some of the Schiit sound.  The O2 with the HD-650 is not bad but its a little thin sounding, the sound lacks the richness/weight that most OTL amps seem to impart on them.  If you want to hear a bad pairing try the O2 with a HD-800, its about as harsh/bright I've ever heard a HD-800 sound.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #34,601 of 46,514
I'm going to make a cable for my headphones, but I'm having trouble looking for some decent connectors.  There are the cardas ones, which look really bad with the giant hole in the side which has to be covered with heatshrink.  The furutech ones are really nice, but cost ~$40 
eek.gif
. And other than that all I've seen are sketchy ebay ones.  What would you guys use in a custom cable?

Jul 10, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #34,604 of 46,514
  I'm going to make a cable for my headphones, but I'm having trouble looking for some decent connectors.  There are the cardas ones, which look really bad with the giant hole in the side which has to be covered with heatshrink.  The furutech ones are really nice, but cost ~$40 
eek.gif
. And other than that all I've seen are sketchy ebay ones.  What would you guys use in a custom cable?

If I were looking at doing this I'd opt for the tried and true Cardas and do what is necessary securely install them.  Some use a filler or glue instead of heatshrink to fill the opening.   I think the furtech are simply way too expensive.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #34,605 of 46,514

A rare album where the sound quality is is outstanding as the music. Much better than most "audiophile" recordings I own. Outstanding on headphones.

Here's my review on Stereomojo:

I was introduced to this 1996 Rounder release by Peter Noerbaek as I was listening to his big Montana speakers at CES. When you are spending 10 hours a day rushing from room to room trying to hear, evaluate and report on as many systems and components as possible over four days, one tends to hear an awful lot of impressive recordings cued up by audio manufacturers to showcase their wares. None impressed me more than this one and it was the first CD I bought when I got back home.

I had never heard or heard of Johnny Adams before. So who is he?

Johnny Adams is a blues singer with a bigger, better and more expressive voice than just about anyone including BB King, Junior Wells and their brethren. And it is showcased here in one of if not the best recordings I have ever heard, which is exactly why Noerbaek was using it to show off his huge, expensive speakers. Producer Scott Billingham says in the liner notes, “This is certainly one of the least produced albums that Johnny and I have made – this music just happened!” He got that right. It sounds as if there was absolutely no limiting, compression or effects used in the recording chain. It sounds just like a live-in-studio capture, which is what it is. Very live.

There is no shortage of Blues CD’s tauted as “audiophile” by Telarc, Chesky, Opus 3 and others. This is right up there with “Muddy Waters – Folk Singer” and, in my opinion, better in terms actual listening value. Even Muddy Waters singing for an hour with just his guitar with no other instruments gets old after a while. Johnny has a bit more gospel and R&B inflections than Waters. He also has a much more polished and trained sounding voice. If Lou Rawls ever tried to sing like this, he may have come close. Don’t get me wrong – those other labels make some great recordings. This one just happens to be extraordinary.

The instrumentation is minimal with just drums, sax, guitar and Hammond B3. There are some cuts with a brass trio throwing in some background hits. No bass player. None needed. Dr. Lonnie Smith covers bass on the B3’s pedals. He also almost steals the show away from, Adams. He kicks the charts along with fills and accents that kick like Mirko Cro Cop. (If you don’t know who he is, he’s a full contact heavyweight fighter famous for knocking opponents out with a single kick to their head). What the Dr. does on his Hammond is incredible and is the best example of jazz organ accompaniment I’ve heard – and I have a lot of Jimmy Smith and other B3 jazzer’s recordings. This is also the best sonic rendering of a B3 that I know of. Just listen to his soulful solo at 4:00 into the title track that leads into the last verse and then how he kicks into a key change at 5:00and then takes it home. Killer.

Adams’ interpretation of standard ballads such as “Baby Don’t You Cry” and “Angel Eyes” can easily set the standard for all others. The way he can caress a note and sound like he’s talking and telling a story rather than singer is amazing. He draws you in with his emotional delivery no matter what the emotion may be. I have played this CD for many people of many ages who are not blues fans at all and they all have been blown away.

There’s more to meet the ears than just blues and ballads. The CD starts off with one of the funkiest grooves since Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition”. “Half Awake” take us almost into the rock arena with a cowbell on the backbeats. There’s a smokin’ 32 bars of sax solo here, too
Johnny Adams died September 14 in 1998 in Baton Rouge, La., where he lived. He was 67.

Whether you are a blues fan or not – if you just appreciate the rare combination of extraordinary music, musicians and superlative sonics – give this one a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back