Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #32,206 of 46,514
Hello. I have found that my HD650 works better with my vintage amp than w my Asgard II.

Would somebody explain me that?

HD650 for classic music. :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #32,207 of 46,514
Hello. I have found that my HD650 works better with my vintage amp than w my Asgard II.

HD650 for classic music. :)

I found the same thing. Go to the vintage receiver/integrated thread on this site. There's a wealth of info there on this subject. There's a bunch of cool and very helpful people over there.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #32,209 of 46,514

HD650 for classic music.
smily_headphones1.gif

HD 650s love amps with a lot of reserve in the power supply, the more the better. No wimpy USB powered DAC/Amps need apply.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #32,210 of 46,514
Not sure why your particular vintage amp works better. I also don't have the Asgard, but it seems to have quite a lot of power (380 mW per channel), so that's not necessarily the problem. I like vintage amps with some cans, too, but with my vintage Onkyo the HD650 sounds too bloated in the mids for my tastes. It does have more sub-bass than my Lehmann BCL, which was designed with the HD650 as a test case. Some integrated vintage amps are very musical, because they are so simple, much like the classic goal of an amp as a 'wire with gain'. Often the simplest chain is the best.

Out of curiosity, are you using the Asgard 2 in high gain? If not, do try that that. Schiit says that there's not overall feedback in high gain mode only, which may mean it's more transparent in high.

Also go back and forth with the same source in both, because you may find that the Asgard is cleaner and smoother with more detail in the highs. Or you may find the opposite, but it's hard to direct A/B test integrated amps to desktop amps sometimes because of the awkwardness of the size of vintage amps. 

P.S. the Asgard uses 30 Watts, so it's not exactly a usb powered amp.

P.P.S. I'm not a schiitboy, but I am basically happy with the Magni as my first and probably last purchase from them. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #32,211 of 46,514

HD650 for classic music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nothing bad about "vintage" in general.  Age doesn't detract build/sound quality in many cases.

You may want to explore other cans for classical music. I find the 650 to be mediocre for symphonies and choral music. Good for chamber.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #32,212 of 46,514
Nothing bad about "vintage" in general.  Age doesn't detract build/sound quality in many cases.

You may want to explore other cans for classical music. I find the 650 to be mediocre for symphonies and choral music. Good for chamber.

Intriguing! I find the exact opposite to be true for me. HD650 for symphonies, not so much for chamber. I wager something like the T1 in a completely, absurdly different price category does much better with symphonies, but for me the HD650 is extremely enjoyable: spacious, warm, emotionally impressive.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you find lacking in the HD650 when it comes to symphonies?

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #32,218 of 46,514

I just gonna say A2 is better in every. Significantly better in every way... Especially in Detail retrieval, Speed and Soundstage. But Mojo amp performance is similar to my A20 in my opinion, just different signature. I personally preferr Mojo, because i like its cleaner, faster and wider signature more than A20 Romantic and a bit tubey signature.

Good to hear. I should have my Taurus MKII shipped soon and then I'll test out how that improves the HD 650 over the Chord Hugo.

Look forward to hearing those impressions.

Jan 25, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #32,219 of 46,514
Not sure why your particular vintage amp works better. I also don't have the Asgard, but it seems to have quite a lot of power (380 mW per channel), so that's not necessarily the problem. I like vintage amps with some cans, too, but with my vintage Onkyo the HD650 sounds too bloated in the mids for my tastes. It does have more sub-bass than my Lehmann BCL, which was designed with the HD650 as a test case. Some integrated vintage amps are very musical, because they are so simple, much like the classic goal of an amp as a 'wire with gain'. Often the simplest chain is the best.

Out of curiosity, are you using the Asgard 2 in high gain? If not, do try that that. Schiit says that there's not overall feedback in high gain mode only, which may mean it's more transparent in high.

Also go back and forth with the same source in both, because you may find that the Asgard is cleaner and smoother with more detail in the highs. Or you may find the opposite, but it's hard to direct A/B test integrated amps to desktop amps sometimes because of the awkwardness of the size of vintage amps. 

P.S. the Asgard uses 30 Watts, so it's not exactly a usb powered amp.

P.P.S. I'm not a schiitboy, but I am basically happy with the Magni as my first and probably last purchase from them. 

Thank you. I will try it in High gain.

I'm doing some testing with my Technics SU Z45 and Fisher EQ3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back