Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #31,111 of 46,554
That's about it. Amps nowadays are pretty good.

MystIcstryk, Jeremy might well have a demo unit he can send out or he might even send a new one out and let you return if you don't like it. He's really good like that.

The EQ modules have been designed by Solderdude and he discusses them on my site but as yet, Jeremy hasn't put any out commercially. They are on the cards though. Jeremy is a busy man. There are people who can make them for you though.

I tried his Sennheiser hd650 module (along with other chips) and honestly, the hd650 was for me, the best of the lot. Bass was extremely deep and the veiling that is spoken of goes as a result of the mid bass being smoothed out.

Solderdude has also produced a portable version of the Kameleon for the hd650 which he uses portable himself!!

I'd feel really bad if I ended up not liking them and had to return them.

The modules you speak of, those are only for the Polaris correct?

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #31,112 of 46,554

I feel the same way about tubes.....say what you want...but only toobs sound like toobs 
biggrin.gif
.....and they are glorious.

Tubes, just like SS, sound like the designer wished them to.
This is 2015 and for way over 30+ years the technology has existed to build very accurate amps with either device. Amps that both measure and sound very close to indistinguishable. But amp designers tune their products to offer a particular sound that will make them stand out from the crowd and appeal to individual tastes, there by givings consumers a reason to buy their product over manufacturer B's.
If you have the disposable funds to buy and sell amps and other products for fun that's kool. But the true end result can ususally be done for a whole lot less money thru eq, and be altered to your hearts content with the blink of an eye at near zero costs.
Don't worry, be happy.

I agree with all that you are saying...but I still believe that only tubes sound like tubes....YMMV......EQ is a whole different beast completely, from my experience

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #31,115 of 46,554
  I would love to hear HD650 on Cavalli Liquid Glass or Crimson. Anyone tried that?

The HD650 on the Liquid Glass is mind blowing.  But I guess it should considering the price tag...

It's weird that when owning an HD650, considering amps that cost double, triple, quadruple and beyond doesn't seem odd at all.  And I come from an era when common logic was to spend equal on speakers and amp...

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #31,116 of 46,554
  I would love to hear HD650 on Cavalli Liquid Glass or Crimson. Anyone tried that?

Heard a HD-650 on a Liquid Gold, really really good but I liked the HD-650 on EC Balancing Act better, heard the HD-650 along with a bunch of other headphones on these two amps back to back at my friends house in Japan a few months ago.  Is it worth the price, not to me as I think a BH Crack will get you 90-95% of the way there for 1/20 the price but if you're like my friend who built a $500k+ (back in 1994 and renovated a few years ago, another $200k+) sound room then go for it.

Dec 11, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #31,117 of 46,554
  One of the best reasons to go Ember vs Polaris, is the number of tubes that can be used in this amp.  With adapters, I have gone from 9 pin to 6SN7's 6j5's 6c5's and now 6L5's.   All just a little bit different. Some are better for different types of music, but all sound good with just about music.  Soundstage and depth changes with the tube types, bass, midrange and treble change to a degree as well.  You said you wanted to try tube rolling, well the Ember has that in spades.

I agree. Whilst I really enjoyed my time with the Polaris it didn't quite match up to the sound I got from the Ember. That was with the stock Ember tube but I've since bought other different tubes and with the right one the sound is just incredible and I think in a different league to the Polaris. That's puely my own subjective experience though so as always YMMV. Tube-rolling is fun & interesting at the same time and it really doesn't need to cost a fortune if you follow the correct path to your sonic goal.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #31,118 of 46,554

... And its in Edmonton :frowning2:

Nothing wrong with that. We have one of the most knowledgeable and active audio enthusiasts' community here. And no sales tax. cheers

Of course, you can always plug any HP into Polaris (with module) that you wish to. Methinks the module in question is tailored for a 650's sound profile.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #31,119 of 46,554

Heard a HD-650 on a Liquid Gold, really really good but I liked the HD-650 on EC Balancing Act better, heard the HD-650 along with a bunch of other headphones on these two amps back to back at my friends house in Japan a few months ago.  Is it worth the price, not to me as I think a BH Crack will get you 90-95% of the way there for 1/20 the price but if you're like my friend who built a $500k+ (back in 1994 and renovated a few years ago, another $200k+) sound room then go for it.

Would love to try a Cavalli amp on 650 and 560 sometime. I have no qualms about using a $1200+ amp on a $350 HP like 650. It scales up beautifully.

Hey I just noticed that my album here has 73K + views. !%$?  

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #31,121 of 46,554
Have you tried his SeNNator, it looks like something really simple and cheap to build for the HD650 if you have a +/- 15V power supply. (?)

Yes. Solderdude designed it as a home made kit and had made three so he sent me one to try with modules for quite a lot of headphones. I liked the Senn one best of all.

He's been measuring many headphones and making modules in readiness for the SeNNator release. Some headphones come up better than others, depending on driver quality.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #31,122 of 46,554
Going to try out the Geek Out v2 with the 650's next week... anyone turn their stock cable into a 3.5mm TRRS balanced? Hell, I've yet to even hear the 650's on a balanced rig. My plan is to buy a cheap cable with a male 3.5mm TRRS and just butcher the connector onto a spare stock cable I have. Cheaper/faster than buying from the net, unless someone has a good source...

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #31,123 of 46,554

I'd feel really bad if I ended up not liking them and had to return them.

Why, most major internet manufactures today offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, no questions asked, trial period.
It's only fair in toady's world where you don't have a brick and mortar store to deal with. Back in the day I could always first audition
a product in the store and then if still interested my salesman would always be glad to arrange some form of "in home" trial.. Either 
using a demo for a short term loaner or a new one with return privileges. Heck even Best Buy offers a 15 return policy, longer if
you are a preferred "store credit card" user. 
There's no reason you should feel bad about returning a product your not happy with, it's only fair to you and good business for the seller
in the long run.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #31,124 of 46,554
  Going to try out the Geek Out v2 with the 650's next week... anyone turn their stock cable into a 3.5mm TRRS balanced? Hell, I've yet to even hear the 650's on a balanced rig. My plan is to buy a cheap cable with a male 3.5mm TRRS and just butcher the connector onto a spare stock cable I have. Cheaper/faster than buying from the net, unless someone has a good source...

Or you could and a male and female TRRS to your existing cable that way you can use the same cable with both terminations.  I had that done with my Kimber Kable for my MDR-Z7, except it was 4 pin XLR...

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #31,125 of 46,554
  I agree with all that you are saying...but I still believe that only tubes sound like tubes....YMMV......EQ is a whole different beast completely, from my experience

Don't get me wrong, I love tubes. Used a pair of VTL Compact 80 monoblocks on my LaScala's for 20 years, with NAD SS amps on the Hsu subwoofers. Both amps offering special attributes that made them perfect for their position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back