Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #31,096 of 46,565
Thanks for the input guys about tubes vs SS and such.

Think I'll try the Polaris next chance I get, I didn't know about the modular upgrades and stuff. Really seems to put it above the Asgard as far as features. Seems a bit more powerful too.

I agree about finding something that sounds good to ones own ears. I like my current setup. I just want to make it ready for future purchases like an hd800 or lcd-2.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #31,097 of 46,565

Think I'll try the Polaris next chance I get, I didn't know about the modular upgrades and stuff. Really seems to put it above the Asgard as far as features. Seems a bit more powerful too.
It's all about what sounds best to you. You'll get plenty suggestions here and they probably all be different. I'd really suggest auditioning if possible, or buyer from a place that has a decent return policy.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #31,098 of 46,565
It's all about what sounds best to you. You'll get plenty suggestions here and they probably all be different. I'd really suggest auditioning if possible, or buyer from a place that has a decent return policy.

Decent return policy is unfortunately my only option. The closest big city to me has no high end audio shops to speak of. Best buy is the closest it gets for me.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #31,100 of 46,565
^ Not that rare nowadays. Even in cities, hi-end audio shops struggle to survive. The Gospel just hasn't ever reached the masses that are enamored with iPods and soundbites on Beats.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #31,101 of 46,565
^ Not that rare nowadays. Even in cities, hi-end audio shops struggle to survive. The Gospel just hasn't ever reached the masses that are enamored with iPods and soundbites on Beats.

I'm very thankful to have Music Direct right on my way home from work.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #31,102 of 46,565

I agree about finding something that sounds good to ones own ears. I like my current setup. I just want to make it ready for future purchases like an hd800 or lcd-2.

The HD-800 is a somewhat picky headphone from my experience, it didn't play nice with my Ember or Lyr2, it was only after I got a BH Crack that made it work for me.  On my Asgard2 the HD-800 and LCD-2 are too bright/harsh sounding for me.

Decent return policy is unfortunately my only option. The closest big city to me has no high end audio shops to speak of. Best buy is the closest it gets for me.

I'm in Hawaii and BB is about it here.  Many years ago there were a lot of high end audio stores but all have closed, last one back in the early 1990's once Circuit City, CompUSA, BB came into town.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #31,105 of 46,565
  I feel the same way about tubes.....say what you want...but only toobs sound like toobs 
biggrin.gif
.....and they are glorious.

Tubes, just like SS, sound like the designer wished them to.
This is 2015 and for way over 30+ years the technology has existed to build very accurate amps with either device. Amps that both measure and sound very close to indistinguishable. But amp designers tune their products to offer a particular sound that will make them stand out from the crowd and appeal to individual tastes, there by givings consumers a reason to buy their product over manufacturer B's.
If you have the disposable funds to buy and sell amps and other products for fun that's kool. But the true end result can ususally be done for a whole lot less money thru eq, and be altered to your hearts content with the blink of an eye at near zero costs.
Don't worry, be happy.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #31,106 of 46,565
I'm very thankful to have Music Direct right on my way home from work.

I just got Music Direct's big catalog in the mail a week or so back. Their prices are insane, like full retail on everything I'm familiar with, .$499 for HD 650s, $1600 for the 800s ouch!

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #31,107 of 46,565
I just got Music Direct's big catalog in the mail a week or so back. Their prices are insane, like full retail on everything I'm familiar with, .$499 for HD 650s, $1600 for the 800s ouch!

As a long time customer, I never pay list price there. They recently asked me to scan one of their old folded/stapled 8.5x11 catalogs I had from 1994 because they didn't have any record of it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #31,108 of 46,565
One of the best reasons to go Ember vs Polaris, is the number of tubes that can be used in this amp.  With adapters, I have gone from 9 pin to 6SN7's 6j5's 6c5's and now 6L5's.   All just a little bit different. Some are better for different types of music, but all sound good with just about music.  Soundstage and depth changes with the tube types, bass, midrange and treble change to a degree as well.  You said you wanted to try tube rolling, well the Ember has that in spades.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #31,109 of 46,565
As a long time customer, I never pay list price there. They recently asked me to scan one of their old folded/stapled 8.5x11 catalogs I had from 1994 because they didn't have any record of it.

I would hope so, the prices in the catalog I'm holding are crazy.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #31,110 of 46,565
Tubes, just like SS, sound like the designer wished them to.
This is 2015 and for way over 30+ years the technology has existed to build very accurate amps with either device. Amps that both measure and sound very close to indistinguishable. But amp designers tune their products to offer a particular sound that will make them stand out from the crowd and appeal to individual tastes, there by givings consumers a reason to buy their product over manufacturer B's.
If you have the disposable funds to buy and sell amps and other products for fun that's kool. But the true end result can ususally be done for a whole lot less money thru eq, and be altered to your hearts content with the blink of an eye at near zero costs.
Don't worry, be happy.

That's about it. Amps nowadays are pretty good.

MystIcstryk, Jeremy might well have a demo unit he can send out or he might even send a new one out and let you return if you don't like it. He's really good like that.

The EQ modules have been designed by Solderdude and he discusses them on my site but as yet, Jeremy hasn't put any out commercially. They are on the cards though. Jeremy is a busy man. There are people who can make them for you though.

I tried his Sennheiser hd650 module (along with other chips) and honestly, the hd650 was for me, the best of the lot. Bass was extremely deep and the veiling that is spoken of goes as a result of the mid bass being smoothed out.

Solderdude has also produced a portable version of the Kameleon for the hd650 which he uses portable himself!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back