Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #29,851 of 46,514
  Thanks so much, I'll have to add that to my audiophile dictionary. 
wink.gif

You're welcome. This may help too.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary#aLhYjhyD6MRoBBZL.97

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #29,852 of 46,514
  How do people find the 650 scaling with DACs ? Lots here on amp scaling.
So, what I'm saying is:  same headphone amp, with changes in DAC alone. No combo amp/DACs.

Great question.

I can tell you that it sounds better with the PS Audio Nuwave trhan the original modi  
tongue.gif
...but those are the only two that I have used with the HD650....I tried the Bifrost with the HD800 for a brief time.

Interested in hearing some answers to this question.....from my experience, which is pretty limited with dacs......I only spotted small differences in sound until moving up the chain  a decent amount.

For the money....the Bifrost is a great bang for your buck dac.....you may have to spend a fair amount more to get better.

I am guessing that Matt has tried the 650 with a few different dac's....maybe he will chime in.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #29,853 of 46,514

You're welcome. This may help too.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary#aLhYjhyD6MRoBBZL.97

Yep, but ain't no "blobby" in there. Think we might need a "Queens English" version ot that glossary.  LOL

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #29,854 of 46,514
  How do people find the 650 scaling with DACs ? Lots here on amp scaling.
So, what I'm saying is:  same headphone amp, with changes in DAC alone. No combo amp/DACs.

It's a great question. I cannot answer with 100% certainty - yes, I think it does.

I'm hesitant to say absolutely yes because of the order of my upgrades. I upgraded my DAC first, and heard nothing. However I found out later that I had a poor amplifier. I upgraded my amplifier, and I do feel that I am now hearing the full potential of the DAC.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #29,855 of 46,514
Here in Sweden I found this fantastic product that will improve the sound of your HD650 or actually any other headphone or loudspeaker available. What I noticed is a slightly higher volume, tighter bass, much clearer mids and treble. Even soundstaging and imaging noticably improved. I am not sure whether it is available in other countries. I guess though that there is a similar product. It only costs $10.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #29,856 of 46,514
For EL8 vs HD-650, my vote to HD-650.  The good point of the EL8 is that it is about the easiest to drive mid tier headphone, I've used my Galaxy S5 and Fiio X3 and the EL8 and it sounds really good with them but don't scale much with better equipment.  The HD-650 on the other hand with a Bifrost DAC and BH Crack is a much better sounding headphone IMO compared to the EL8.  I also don't think they are in the same price range, HD-650 $300, EL8 $600

As for DACs making a difference in scaling, I will say yes based on listening to the HD-650 with a AudioGD Master 7 and Gungnir Multi-bit used as DACs and a EC Balancing Act amp, there is a difference but its more like which sound you like better.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #29,857 of 46,514
Have you considered the Audioengine D1? I have been using that for the past two years and been very pleased with it. I don't use it much with my HD-650's though because it's for my commute (with Beyer T51i's). My HD-650's are normally paired with a NuForce HDP at home.

The D1's a little bulkier, but is very reliable and a definite improvement over the builtin audio (I don't like the idea of the DAC/Headphone adapter being part of the USB plug, too much opportunity to damage my laptop on the train.)

I don't know how the D1 and D3 compare sonically, but thought I'd throw this out there.

I had also planned to connect the stick-type DACs with a short cable. I already ruined one usb port on my older laptop. I will also look into the D1 ... But from what I have seen the specs are quite similar. It mainly has more connection possibilities and a volume knob ... Which could be very helpful.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #29,858 of 46,514
I don't completely agree with this.
I've found the EL-8s to scale brilliantly with amps and DACs
They respond really well to various equipment, for example I've been blown away with the liveliness in the sound when i plugged it into the Little Dot I+

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #29,859 of 46,514
I also don't know where people are finding the HD650s for $300.
The MSRP is $650 in Canada and in the States they run about $550.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #29,861 of 46,514
  Here in Sweden I found this fantastic product that will improve the sound of your HD650 or actually any other headphone or loudspeaker available. What I noticed is a slightly higher volume, tighter bass, much clearer mids and treble. Even soundstaging and imaging noticably improved. I am not sure whether it is available in other countries. I guess though that there is a similar product. It only costs $10.

biggrin.gif

I think my ears could do with this, I dread to think how much wax is in them from wearing my IEMs and pushing the tips half way down my ear canal. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #29,862 of 46,514
  I don't completely agree with this.
I've found the EL-8s to scale brilliantly with amps and DACs
They respond really well to various equipment, for example I've been blown away with the liveliness in the sound when i plugged it into the Little Dot I+

In the EL8 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015 many had also said that their experience with the EL8 was that it didn't scale much.  My own experience was that from my Fiio X3 there was really no scaling going to a Bifrost/Lyr2, Woo Audio WA7d, and a friends AudioGD Master 7 / WA2.  The HD-650 on the other hand will scale going from the Fiio X3 to Bifrost / BH Crack and go even higher with AudioGD Master 7 / EC Balancing Act but while I can hear the difference I would never spend for Master 7 / EC Balancing Act.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #29,863 of 46,514

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not lol

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #29,865 of 46,514

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not lol

you can't? it is

I think you'll find he's serious. I once used Otex (a similar product marketed in the UK) and it made a difference. Not as good as going to the nurse though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back