Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #29,836 of 46,514
I think something you might want to try is putting your EL-8s into a warmer tube amp or applying a slightly warm EQ.
You'll be blown away by how comfy the sound becomes.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #29,837 of 46,514

Left, middle, and right. A tendency to concentrate/cluster the sound in those areas. Not entirely smooth across space, with some stereo tracks. imo.

biggrin.gif

Thanks so much, I'll have to add that to my audiophile dictionary. 
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #29,838 of 46,514
  I think something you might want to try is putting your EL-8s into a warmer tube amp or applying a slightly warm EQ.
You'll be blown away by how comfy the sound becomes.

Have you heard the LCD-3's? If you enjoy the EL-8's sound, the LCD-3's take everything to a whole other level of listening pleasure. I say this sincerely, since I own the LCD-3's and have spent time with the EL-8's myself. Audeze has a house sound which they actually were able to translate to the EL-8's, but the 3's take that sound further.

I would also think that you'd find the HD-650's less exciting than the EL-8's. The HD-650 sound is very smooth for dynamic drivers, however, they may appear as dull without a proper amp. If you are using a tube amp with the EL-8's, chances are it would work very well with the 650's. I'm not a huge fan of Audeze for a multitude of reasons, however I did extensively compare the EL-8's to the 3 fazors and those are my thoughts. I personally much prefer the HD sound to the Audezes, but I do believe there are people who have heard Audeze headphones with better FR than the ones I've auditioned, and this is part of the issue for me.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #29,839 of 46,514
Though I don't own a pair, I've listened to LCD-3s a handful of times and, to be honest, the EL-8s sound like baby LCD-3s. The sound signature is very similar though the EL-8s are more neutral and has less.. oomph.
So far I've been using them unpowered but I have a Little Dot 1+ in the mail set to arrive today so that will change very shortly.

But yes, the LCD-3s are like the voice of god himself.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #29,844 of 46,514
Oct 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #29,849 of 46,514
How do people find the 650 scaling with DACs ? Lots here on amp scaling.
So, what I'm saying is:  same headphone amp, with changes in DAC alone. No combo amp/DACs.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #29,850 of 46,514
  How does the HD650 compare to some other, similarly priced headphones... like the Audeze EL-8?

??? HD 650s been on the market over 12 years now. In all that time they have always been considered Class A and close to the best.  Many have sold theirs 2 and 3 times to get one or more of the "new kids",  only to sell them and get another 650.
How do they compare?  Good.  For a more accurate detail come back in 5  years and ask again what the guys think of today's "new kids"
IMHO when there's a classic component available that's passed the test of time, I'll always go with it.  Odds are it will continue to satisfy for many years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back