Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #29,403 of 46,514
Sep 29, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #29,404 of 46,514
+1 for the old farts....count me in  
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #29,406 of 46,514
Ha ha....yeah, my bones creek....my memory is fading....eye sight not what it once was....but my ears are good and the music keeps my head bobbin' and my feet tappin'....so it's all good  
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #29,407 of 46,514
  Ha ha....yeah, my bones creek....my memory is fading....eye sight not what it once was....but my ears are good and the music keeps my head bobbin' and my feet tappin'....so it's all good  
smile.gif

http://www.baycrest.org/smart-aging/what-are-some-of-the-benefits-of-music-on-our-brain-as-we-age/

http://www.baycrest.org/news/more-evidence-that-musical-training-protects-the-brain/

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #29,408 of 46,514
I'm 65, retired and loving every day I no longer have to get up and go to work every morning. Moved from the frozen north of Chicago 4 years ago and now living in Central Florida and looking out the windows at palm trees and warm temps every day. Don't know why I didn't do that  years ago.
Otherwise I'm forgetting a lot of stuff that don't really matter, an still remember the stuff that makes me wiser than the youngsters. LOL
I was never no angel but when I drop I think I got just enough stuff in the Good column to square things with the man so I'm ready to go when the time comes.

The Great Gig in the Sky 
(Wright) 4:44 
"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I 
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? 
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime." 

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #29,409 of 46,514

I actually find 650s fatiguing these days. Can't seem to listen to them for longer than a half hour.

I feel you, I had that problem myself. Could be somewhat system related or the headphone simply not agreeing with your ears. What about their sound are you finding fatiguing? Are you getting ear pain? The ear clogging up or suction effect? 

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #29,411 of 46,514
  I feel you, I had that problem myself. Could be somewhat system related or the headphone simply not agreeing with your ears. What about their sound are you finding fatiguing? Are you getting ear pain? The ear clogging up or suction effect? 

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in this. I'm not exactly sure what's causing the fatigue, but I don't think the problem is with the system. Some things about the 650s have always bothered me, including a congested soundstage and a woolly bass, but I'm not sure I can pinpoint to the exact culprit. At the moment, the fatigue seems to be a combination of a sense of claustrophobia and a shrillness from the treble region. Knowing that 650s have tamed treble, it's a little weird for me, especially since I don't get this fatigue with other headphones with more pronounced trebles.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #29,412 of 46,514
  @DavidA & @Krutsch thank you both for your inputs.
David you are right I don't have the best setup at work, all I've is an EF2A at work. Having said that what would be a good amp to go with HD 650 / 700 ... anything from schiit line-up recommended like the Asgard 2 ?

I listen primarily to a lot of jazz-funk, blues rock, and acoustic folk.
My primary reason for posting here is to understand (the real reasons behind) all the bad things I read about the HD 700 (all over the internet). I really like the way the 700 looks, too bad I won't be able to listen to it at the store.

Thanks to everyone who provided their inputs.
In the end I decided to go with the 700s (may not be the popular choice in this thread :)), I hope I made the right decision only time will tell.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #29,413 of 46,514
  Thanks to everyone who provided their inputs.
In the end I decided to go with the 700s (may not be the popular choice in this thread :)), I hope I made the right decision only time will tell.

That's of no importance, all that matters is that your happy. 
Good Luck and Enjoy

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #29,414 of 46,514

I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in this. I'm not exactly sure what's causing the fatigue, but I don't think the problem is with the system. Some things about the 650s have always bothered me, including a congested soundstage and a woolly bass, but I'm not sure I can pinpoint to the exact culprit. At the moment, the fatigue seems to be a combination of a sense of claustrophobia and a shrillness from the treble region. Knowing that 650s have tamed treble, it's a little weird for me, especially since I don't get this fatigue with other headphones with more pronounced trebles.

I get the sense of claustrophobia with them myself though not from the soundstage, more like it's a sound pressure issue, I found the HD 600(one of the most fatiguing headphones I've owned) much worse in this aspect. There are people who have issues with fatigue on the HD 650, I see it mentioned from time to time. You may be better off with something else if you get fatigue like that. Do you have anything else on the warmer and darker side like the HD 650? I actually had the same problem with the treble being shrill at times. The sound pressure issue was the bigger issue, leaner systems helped but never fixed the issue this led me to conclude the bass was the culprit. Both the HD 600 and HD 650 made my ears act really oddly and overly sensitive for months and I don't even listen that loud and only recently have my ears settled down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back