Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #26,597 of 46,514

Yikes, protect your hearing, my friend. Damage to them is irreversible.

LOL, with no music playing, I forgot to add :wink:  I am usually listening to quite low volumes, was just testing the hiss factor.

Cheers,
K

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #26,598 of 46,514

LOL, with no music playing, I forgot to add :wink:  I am usually listening to quite low volumes, was just testing the hiss factor.

Cheers,
K

What, not cranking the Zepp? 
biggrin.gif

I gotta say, nothing so far has talked me into the Grado camp. That's what my m50x's are for lol

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #26,599 of 46,514
  What, not cranking the Zepp? 
biggrin.gif

I gotta say, nothing so far has talked me into the Grado camp. That's what my m50x's are for lol

Boy that's a wide difference, haha. 

I think what's really amazed me about the HD650s is how they instantly cured my old basshead tendencies. Yeah, you can see in my sig I've got some bassy stuff there, but I've since done stuff like modify the filters on my se846 to tamp down the bass. It's almost made me want to sell off most of my gear and get IEMs that match the 650s better.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #26,600 of 46,514

Boy that's a wide difference, haha. 

I think what's really amazed me about the HD650s is how they instantly cured my old basshead tendencies. Yeah, you can see in my sig I've got some bassy stuff there, but I've since done stuff like modify the filters on my se846 to tamp down the bass. It's almost made me want to sell off most of my gear and get IEMs that match the 650s better.

Heh heh - I think what I meant to get across was that most Grado's seem aimed at rock, with a lively, energetic and fun sound. I guess that (plus the ease-of-drive and tank-like construction for portable use) is why I keep the m50x's around. You can plug them into anything and get a great sound with all the fun a V-shaped curve and some decent dynamics gives.

Forgive me Grado-fans. It is quite likely I'm talking out of my arse here, but the volumes I've read about the Grado line swings me to those thoughts. Very few folks use words like "sublime", "textured" or tonal" with them. Guess that's why I've blindly lumped them in the same categories.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #26,601 of 46,514
  Heh heh - I think what I meant to get across was that most Grado's seem aimed at rock, with a lively, energetic and fun sound. I guess that (plus the ease-of-drive and tank-like construction for portable use) is why I keep the m50x's around. You can plug them into anything and get a great sound with all the fun a V-shaped curve and some decent dynamics gives.

Forgive me Grado-fans. It is quite likely I'm talking out of my arse here, but the volumes I've read about the Grado line swings me to those thoughts. Very few folks use words like "sublime", "textured" or tonal" with them. Guess that's why I've blindly lumped them in the same categories.

Haha, I just meant that the M50s and Grados are veerrrry different. Like, they sound NOTHING alike. The M50s are warm and bassy with that V shape, Grados are treble treble treble. If you like the M50s, stay the hell away from Grados.

The words most use for them would be stuff like "clear," "detailed," and "airy". And they certainly are that. I don't have EXTENSIVE time with them, but I've spent a few hours with the PS500, RS1, sr325 and some of the lower-end models. Of them, the PS500 was the best, the others were just hard to listen to. At least for MY tastes, but then I prefer my headphones to have bass presence. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #26,602 of 46,514

Haha, I just meant that the M50s and Grados are veerrrry different. Like, they sound NOTHING alike. The M50s are warm and bassy with that V shape, Grados are treble treble treble. If you like the M50s, stay the hell away from Grados.

The words most use for them would be stuff like "clear," "detailed," and "airy". And they certainly are that. I don't have EXTENSIVE time with them, but I've spent a few hours with the PS500, RS1, sr325 and some of the lower-end models. Of them, the PS500 was the best, the others were just hard to listen to. At least for MY tastes, but then I prefer my headphones to have bass presence. 

The m50x's certainly have that bass presence lol. Okay - I'd assumed they were much like Grado's offerings, I deserve to be served based on a whole lot of assumptions 
rolleyes.gif
 Now I can see how the Grado's may help those poor old Zepp recordings whose detail and definition has faded so badly. Most of the versions I've heard have either been shrill (one-note treble) or muddy (one-note mids). They are pretty much all one-note bass. Alright, a bit harsh lol, Going back to my Animals SACD for a little detail :wink:

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #26,603 of 46,514

HD-650 are middle of the road, the M50 on the left, Grado on the right.
If you want a Grado with bass, try a SennGrado

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #26,604 of 46,514

HD-650 are middle of the road, the M50 on the left, Grado on the right.
If you want a Grado with bass, try a SennGrado

Nope - I want an 800 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 But by god, the sound had better be worth the looks lol. For a guy who thinks rosewood or zebrawood is art the 800's look like a Star Wars kids toy

*runs and hides*

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #26,605 of 46,514
Hey guys, sorry to change the subject, but I need some suggestions. I'm looking for in ear monitors that sound like the HD650. I looked up info about the IE8 and IE80. The IE8 people say has too much bass, but does anyone know how much compared to the HD650? I also know the IE80 is like a refined version of the IE8, but apparently doesn't have as much bass.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #26,606 of 46,514
Hey guys, sorry to change the subject, but I need some suggestions. I'm looking for in ear monitors that sound like the HD650. I looked up info about the IE8 and IE80. The IE8 people say has too much bass, but does anyone know how much compared to the HD650? I also know the IE80 is like a refined version of the IE8, but apparently doesn't have as much bass.

I dunno about the IE80, but I know the IE800 was the weirdest IEM I ever heard, so if they're similar at all I'd be wary.

The IEM I was most impressed with, and one I think would pair up well with the 650s (and I really, really wish I had a pair) are the Nuforce Primo 8. They're not tilted, but rather very flat and the design of the BA drivers just gives it this really lush and mid-happy sound that, from what I recall of them, would pair up fantastically with the 650s. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #26,607 of 46,514

Very good question. I have extensive experience (and very narrow, at that) with one IEM: Nocs NS500.  It is warm and very good at the highs. I really like it. And it looks very slick -- white cable with a gold shell. Haven't heard any other IEMs except for Shure SE-425, which I tired of (too clinical and bright and a PITA to fit around and into the ear).

http://nocs.se/products/ns500-aluminum

Use it with my iPod Classic 160GB on the go. I don't crave for more, put it that way.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #26,609 of 46,514

i meant i have Kodo / Heartbeat Drummers of Japan album...the Sheffield Lab version and with HRT. Music Streamer>Speedballed Bottlehead Crack>HD650 it really gives me chills...wonder how it would sound with HD800 with its expansive soundstage.

interesting new thread with HD800 compared to RS1i, if you're interested.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773233/hd800-vs-rs1i-battle-of-bright-cans

nope...was just wondering no plans of buying though
wink.gif

like a great man once said ..."But there come a point, when one just has to settle down...
wink.gif
" lol
just in case u have forgotten its^ ur post few pages back
wink_face.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #26,610 of 46,514

nope...was just wondering no plans of buying though
wink.gif

like a great man once said ..."But there come a point, when one just has to settle down...
wink.gif
" lol
just in case u have forgotten its^ ur post few pages back
wink_face.gif

thanks for the reminder...not everything I post here is tinged with wizdom 
biggrin.gif

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back