Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #25,861 of 46,527
  I have a Forza cable & whilst it sounds different it's a tiny difference that you really have to listen out for. I'm tempted to assume that as the headphone cable is the last in the chain any differences are going to be relatively small. You can't put back what isn't there in the first place.

On the other hand I changed the cables between my DAC & my amp the other week and the difference blew me away! I went from a Linn Black interconnect to an old QED Silver Anniversary I had in a box in the cupboard and it really is a pronounced difference. There's a lot more detail & a lot more space.

It's a big improvement, for me, but I could see it going the other way with a brighter headphone and an SS amp. Horses for courses really.

Gordon.

The Linn is a copper, right? I'd wager that's the big thing. I can even hear a faint difference on my se846 between the stock copper and the $30 Fiio silver-plated copper cable. Methinks that's where you'll start to notice things, when the material changes. I'd love to try out a fully silver cable someday.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #25,863 of 46,527

The Linn is a copper, right? I'd wager that's the big thing. I can even hear a faint difference on my se846 between the stock copper and the $30 Fiio silver-plated copper cable. Methinks that's where you'll start to notice things, when the material changes. I'd love to try out a fully silver cable someday.

I have 2 silver cables in my system: a Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 for the HD-650s and a Kimber DV-60 coax digital cable.

The headphone cable difference may/may not be there... While I like to think it sounds better, I really haven't taken the time/effort to prove it one way or another (I think A/B'ing a HP cable would be difficult).

The coax digital cable, however, shows a very objective result. It's the only cable I have that can reliably transport 192/24 tracks from 2 of my source components to my DAC without any dropouts, whatsoever, which was why I kept it. I tried switching in/out a lower-cost Kimber DV-30 copper cable and an Audioquest Carbon; to my surprise, both of these other cables present audible dropouts on hi-res playback - very repeatable.

Now, I could say that this an artifact of the Wolfson S/PDIF receiver chip on my Rega DAC and/or a poor transmitter chip on my KanexPro HDMI de-embedder or Bel Canto mLink. Regardless, it's clear from that exercise that coax S/PDIF cables are not all the same - and I've observed this in a very objective way.

Of course, one could argue: who cares? We can't hear any difference between 44.1/16 and 192/24 and not having any dropouts doesn't necessarily mean a change in actual sound quality (i.e. the dropouts are an artifact that has no correlation to perceived SQ, jitter and all of that, blah, blah, blah).

Subjectively speaking, for me, I am convinced I can perceive a significant difference in sound using the DV-60 (I even move it around when I am switching components, rather than using the other cables and changing inputs on the DAC); but without a blind A/B comparison I can't say one way or another if what I am hearing is really there.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #25,864 of 46,527

Yeah, the Linn is copper and the QED is pure silver. The Linn is actually generally regarded to be a bright cable and compared to my Furukawa's I guess it is but it's also very lean sounding. There's less weight to the sound if you get me. The QED keeps the bright airiness but also brings back the weight.

It's far more difficult to explain than it is to hear. Even my wife hears a difference and that's saying something. I initially thought I might find some recording's which might push the overall sound towards edginess but that hasn't happened in two weeks so it's a keeper for me.

This is the best sound I've ever heard.

Gordon.

P.S. Well done on the video reviews mate. You're good at it. Not everyone is.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #25,865 of 46,527
Jun 8, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #25,866 of 46,527
  Subjectively speaking, for me, I am convinced I can perceive a significant difference in sound using the DV-60 (I even move it around when I am switching components, rather than using the other cables and changing inputs on the DAC); but without a blind A/B comparison I can't say one way or another if what I am hearing is really there.

The eternal problem. :/

Knowing what difference is there leads so easily to a placebo effect it's insane. I had the same issue happening when I was subscribed to Tidal. I finally took NPR's 120/320/lossless test and that was pretty eye-opening. But this is about cables and I don't mean to dredge that up, just that when we know what's happening under the hood it's very easy to convince ourselves we hear it. It's like wine tasting.

Yeah, the Linn is copper and the QED is pure silver. The Linn is actually generally regarded to be a bright cable and compared to my Furukawa's I guess it is but it's also very lean sounding. There's less weight to the sound if you get me. The QED keeps the bright airiness but also brings back the weight.

It's far more difficult to explain than it is to hear. Even my wife hears a difference and that's saying something. I initially thought I might find some recording's which might push the overall sound towards edginess but that hasn't happened in two weeks so it's a keeper for me.

This is the best sound I've ever heard.

Gordon.

P.S. Well done on the video reviews mate. You're good at it. Not everyone is.

I'd be very curious to give it a try. I mean I'm happy with my 650's just in the cheap audio interface with a stock cable, getting a better output and maybe a cable that's not thirty feet long would be excellent I think. 

The 650's really are magic, IMO. I had LCD-2's on a Schiit Lyr and have some the se846's next to me, but it's the 650's I always reach for. And thanks for the kind words on the reviews. I would have loved to do more of it haha. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #25,867 of 46,527
  Its not has hard as it looks, the directions are great and easy to follow.  I was able to build mine in a night drinking wine and listening to music on my speakers with my girlfriend.  Its important to get a good soldering station as this makes the project much easier and get good solder, I've had good results with Cardas Quad Eutectic solder .  As @bocosb noted, practice your soldering skills, this is important as some of the locations are not the easiest to solder.
Good Luck

It's not the skills that bother me, it's the English :)
Since English is not my native language, I'm afraid I won't fully understand every word which will cause to issues with the building process.

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #25,868 of 46,527
  It's not the skills that bother me, it's the English :)
Since English is not my native language, I'm afraid I won't fully understand every word which will cause to issues with the building process.

Since you can understand these posts I think your comprehension of English is fairly good. 
There are some who will build the BH Crack for you but I can't remember where I saw that information, or you could look in the "for sale" thread, I know that @cCasper TFG had his for sale but it was bought after I mentioned it to another poster.  You might want to contact him, he builds some nice cables and showed me how to make removable cables for my TH-600 and DT-990, really helpful.

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #25,870 of 46,527

The eternal problem. :/

Knowing what difference is there leads so easily to a placebo effect it's insane. I had the same issue happening when I was subscribed to Tidal. I finally took NPR's 120/320/lossless test and that was pretty eye-opening. But this is about cables and I don't mean to dredge that up, just that when we know what's happening under the hood it's very easy to convince ourselves we hear it. It's like wine tasting.

I'd be very curious to give it a try. I mean I'm happy with my 650's just in the cheap audio interface with a stock cable, getting a better output and maybe a cable that's not thirty feet long would be excellent I think. 

The 650's really are magic, IMO. I had LCD-2's on a Schiit Lyr and have some the se846's next to me, but it's the 650's I always reach for. And thanks for the kind words on the reviews. I would have loved to do more of it haha. 

Did you get rid of the Lyr? If so, what are you driving the 650's with?

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #25,873 of 46,527
  Yes http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=853&scale=30

Gotcha - thanks for the graph
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #25,874 of 46,527

Did you get rid of the Lyr? If so, what are you driving the 650's with?

I sold the whole kit and kaboodle to someone on here. LCD-2, Lyr with tubes, and VDAC.

Believe it or not, I'm driving the 650s with one of these:

I bought it just for recording purposes, but I'm pretty dang impressed with the audio coming out of it. However, that's why I'm looking at the DACPort, I wouldn't imagine this is optimal. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #25,875 of 46,527

I sold the whole kit and kaboodle to someone on here. LCD-2, Lyr with tubes, and VDAC.

Believe it or not, I'm driving the 650s with one of these:

I bought it just for recording purposes, but I'm pretty dang impressed with the audio coming out of it. However, that's why I'm looking at the DACPort, I wouldn't imagine this is optimal. 

I thought that's what you were using. You really should look to get a proper DAC & amp though as I think the improvement will be massive.

O/T I know but  I'm currently looking for an AI so I can add vocals in Logic. Would you consider the Solo to be a good one? It's not something I know a lot about to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back