Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #24,152 of 46,527
Don't rush me! I'm thinking really hard about this and need to make an intelligent purchase! Although I keep adding the cans to my cart and then removing them..

Heh heh... you know you want them... 
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #24,154 of 46,527
Pretty sure I want the amp a little more, guys. :p Don't worry, I'll be asking for a little something during Krismas, and then I'll post my impressions. As much as I want the cans, the Cavalli Carbon is a one time deal with my budget, and if I end up not liking it as much as I thought, demand will be pretty darn high for em I bet, and I'll be able to fund myself some Senns anyway. I do want em, I do! If you really wanted, someone could send me their pair for a listen. SOMETHING has to challenge the HiFiMANs!

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #24,155 of 46,527
Well, here's a hard decision to make. Got a pretty good refund on my taxes, so I'm looking at either the HD-650's or the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon. Either way I'm getting a fantastic piece of gear, but I can't decide which one to get. The Carbon may be a one time deal, since finding them used is probably going to end up being a wild goose chase. But the 650's would be put into use right away.

I want to pair my HD650s with the Carbon, so I get your dilemma.  I would say if you have a quality amp already, then grab an HD650 deal.  But if you're trapped in a world with good headphones already and lack proper amplification, go Carbon and grab the first batch deal...

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #24,156 of 46,527

I want to pair my HD650s with the Carbon, so I get your dilemma.  I would say if you have a quality amp already, then grab an HD650 deal.  But if you're trapped in a world with good headphones already and lack proper amplification, go Carbon and grab the first batch deal...

Well, I've actually got a good pair of headphones and a nice amp, so are you saying I should get both? :p

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #24,158 of 46,527
Pretty sure I want the amp a little more, guys.
tongue.gif
Don't worry, I'll be asking for a little something during Krismas, and then I'll post my impressions. As much as I want the cans, the Cavalli Carbon is a one time deal with my budget, and if I end up not liking it as much as I thought, demand will be pretty darn high for em I bet, and I'll be able to fund myself some Senns anyway. I do want em, I do! If you really wanted, someone could send me their pair for a listen. SOMETHING has to challenge the HiFiMANs!

I agree with your choice.  While your Modi/Magni combo is admirable at its price point, I doubt its doing your Hifimans near full justice.  See you in the Cavalli thread...

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #24,159 of 46,527
  If you're going to boost frequencies in rockbox, particularly the bass, you really need to use the precut feature to lower the pre-amplified signal

That's exactly what I do. If you click the link in my post to the topic thread about my 2 sets of 193 EQ presets, I specifically mention this more than once in that thread. The frequency band with the highest boost determines the equivalent precut amount. For example, in the preset "Electronic 5 Bass," 32 Hz gets a 19 dB boost (and 64 Hz gets 18.5 dB). Therefore, that preset uses a 19 dB precut. On "0 Flat 3 Bass," 32 Hz and 64 Hz each get a 9 dB boost, so that precut uses a precut of 9 dB. Click the link to that topic thread and read all about it.

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #24,160 of 46,527

That's exactly what I do. If you click the link in my post to the topic thread about my 2 sets of 193 EQ presets, I specifically mention this more than once in that thread. The frequency band with the highest boost determines the equivalent precut amount. For example, in the preset "Electronic 5 Bass," 32 Hz gets a 19 dB boost (and 64 Hz gets 18.5 dB). Therefore, that preset uses a 19 dB precut. On "0 Flat 3 Bass," 32 Hz and 64 Hz each get a 9 dB boost, so that precut uses a precut of 9 dB. Click the link to that topic thread and read all about it.

You should get yourself a JVC SZ2000. The bass will satisfy you. And join the extreme basshead club on HeadFi. That can sound like ......t, but you cannot beat it's bass.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #24,161 of 46,527
  Now add EQing to those 192 rips its no wonder the HD-650 started to "Snap Crackel & Pop" the music was distorted.  I've never use a C5 but it being a portable and looking at the specs 800mW at 32ohms (couldn't find any info on output at 300ohms) it is not look like an amp that would pair with a HD-650 or any other high impedance headphone.

A driver bottoming out is caused by it moving more than it was designed to move. What does an MP3 bitrate have to do with this?

All my EQ presets use an equivalent precut to match the frequency band that's boosted the most, so I don't see how this causes significant distortion. And if my Cayin C5 portable amp can make the HD 650 drivers bottom out without any audible clipping distortion, then this amp certainly must be good enough to power them.

Anyway, if you're wondering why I've chosen 192 kbps MP3 as my personal standard, see this post.

You should get yourself a JVC SZ2000. The bass will satisfy you. And join the extreme basshead club on HeadFi. That can sound like ......t, but you cannot beat it's bass.

I'll have to ask the HiFi shop staff if they have a pair of these next time I go there. If they have one, I'll have to check it out.

Last time, I listened to a pair of Sonys with a model number that included "Z7" or "7Z" in it (or something like that; I can't remember), and also listened to a pair of Denon cans, but can't remember its model number, either. I'm happy to say that my V-Moda M-100s blew both of them away!

As for the JVC SZ2000s, they might have more bass than the M-100s, but I'm wondering how the overall sound quality compares -- as I love the sound of the M-100s. I'm a huge fan of good sound quality, but am not an audiophile.

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #24,162 of 46,527
So a few days in with these new cans. I'm warming up to them. Maybe about 15 hours on them so far, and my ears/the drivers are adjusting.
I'll still find some songs (and gaming) to sound better on my old ultrasones, but after those 15 hours on the senns, the ultrasones sound like they have no soundstage at all XD. Never noticed it before. But definitely, many songs that are more acoustic sound unbelievably wonderful on these cans. Grateful Dead, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, and a bunch of other older stuff and classic rock sound almost as good as they do through my tower speakers and vinyl :p. I never thought I would get that sound out of digital stuff.
I do sometimes find the senns a little dark and hard to hear vocals over the sharp treble and covering bass. I thought it was the other way around, that the vocals were forward with the bass and the treble recessed... Idk i'll see how they sound over time. I'm getting used to their laid-back-ness. I've definitely noticed that at higher volumes, the middle and vocals seem to pop more. I don't know if this is the Magni, the phones, or just perception, but it sounds alright :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #24,163 of 46,527
  So a few days in with these new cans. I'm warming up to them. Maybe about 15 hours on them so far, and my ears/the drivers are adjusting.
I'll still find some songs (and gaming) to sound better on my old ultrasones, but after those 15 hours on the senns, the ultrasones sound like they have no soundstage at all XD. Never noticed it before. But definitely, many songs that are more acoustic sound unbelievably wonderful on these cans. Grateful Dead, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, and a bunch of other older stuff and classic rock sound almost as good as they do through my tower speakers and vinyl :p. I never thought I would get that sound out of digital stuff.
I do sometimes find the senns a little dark and hard to hear vocals over the sharp treble and covering bass. I thought it was the other way around, that the vocals were forward with the bass and the treble recessed... Idk i'll see how they sound over time. I'm getting used to their laid-back-ness. I've definitely noticed that at higher volumes, the middle and vocals seem to pop more. I don't know if this is the Magni, the phones, or just perception, but it sounds alright :)

I find the HD 600 more midrange and vocal oriented than the HD 650, I find the HD 650 more laid-back in the vocals with a more seductive tone though it can be a bit glossy in the treble at times. I have trouble deciding which of the two I like more, just depends on my mood. I have noticed what you are talking about though on certain recordings. I thought the HD 650 would be the vocal champ of my headphones, but that actually turned out to be the K712.

The vocals do really pop at higher volumes on the HD 650, I find this the case with a lot of headphones that are quite balanced. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #24,164 of 46,527
Hi,
Sorry if it's not the right thread for this question. Because of still being unsure if I should go for Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT990/DT880 with mostly listening to drum & bass and trance...so low frequencies are quite important to me. From what I've read the DT990 are "very bright" I'm not sure what that means and if it's something good for electronic music. What I personally like in sound is pretty neutral but with some extra bass (so the cans can dig in to the very low sounds, without sacrificing the rest) for the genres I listen to. I don't like EQ'ing so it would be nice to buy a set of cans that sounds the way I like it without any changes. So what do you all think would be the best choice for me....too bad I have no place to test any of the headphones. Thanks in advance for answers.

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #24,165 of 46,527
Hey guys, if you want to hear some amazing bass on the 650's, check out "Out Of Your Head"... I was reading about it and the Realiser A8 for a while today and just downloaded the demo of Out Of Your Head. It turns your headphones into speaker chameleons... definitely a change in how everything sounds, especially the bass. Massdrop is also selling OOFY for relatively cheap, and I think I'm hooked. Even if it's just for the novelty of listening and not believing that there isn't a pair of outrageously expensive speakers set up in front of me. I'm impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back