Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #24,106 of 46,527
  Unsubscribing (again).

Cheers 650 bros.  Enjoy them.

I guess I don't need to announce that, but it makes me feel better.  
biggrin.gif

I guess something made you go 'Right!' here. Whatever it was, this made me laugh :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #24,107 of 46,527

You nailed it. I only have them for a week, in the same week I got my LCD-2 and the HD650 with the Crack - you put the headphones on and 5 minutes later you are lost in music. Really an amazing headphone, I wish I bought it earlier. Incredibly enjoyable is a perfect description. 

I go my HD-650 a few days after Amazon had them @ $290 and like you I wish had gotten them sooner.  The HD-650 is a very enjoyable headphone, may not be the greatest in any stat but it does almost everything very well, reason why they have been around for so long.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #24,108 of 46,527

In some of the more modern receivers/amplifiers the head phones out can often be completely separate little pcb based amplification circuits rather than tapping off the speaker amps circuit like the older receivers did.

Too true. I was horribly disappointed with the headphone jack on my Denon 3808. Cheap little PCB. No way does it match my Crack/Speedball or even my Fiio X5/E12. No balls lol.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #24,109 of 46,527
If I had to choose, I still think I'd take the DT990 over the HD650. What can I say, I'm a Beyerdynamic fanboy and love their sound and comfort. I just wish the pads lasted longer and they had removable cabling (COP doesn't count). The 650 is different enough from my other cans that I will be keeping them but to me they're just good headphones, not exceptional and I think Sennheiser should ditch the display case, sell them in blister packs and cut $100 off the price. They might once have been the best you could buy but 15 years later that driver is getting long in the tooth. IT's still good but there are cheaper alternatives with more modern designs that are outperforming them.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #24,110 of 46,527
If I had to choose, I still think I'd take the DT990 over the HD650. What can I say, I'm a Beyerdynamic fanboy and love their sound and comfort. I just wish the pads lasted longer and they had removable cabling (COP doesn't count). The 650 is different enough from my other cans that I will be keeping them but to me they're just good headphones, not exceptional and I think Sennheiser should ditch the display case, sell them in blister packs and cut $100 off the price. They might once have been the best you could buy but 15 years later that driver is getting long in the tooth. IT's still good but there are cheaper alternatives with more modern designs that are outperforming them.

You know how old then beyerdynamic drivers are?

And I respectfully disagree with you opinion. I love my beyerdynamic T90 but the DT990 bahhh

HD650 is still exceptional after all this time. I wish I would have gotten them earlier.

No headphone in this price range I have listened to comes close. Not with the right amp.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #24,111 of 46,527

Ok I am telling you. DT990 are 25 years old. Getting a bit long on the tooth no?
Anyhow. Age does mean nothing. Taste is ok. You prefer the sound sig of the DT990 and that is totally ok.
Did you ever hear the HD650 with a complimentary amp?

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #24,112 of 46,527

Examples please.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #24,114 of 46,527
  Examples please.

I love these discussions.  ( Not really )

I see you have a selection of HPs that parallel mine. I have the HD650s, the DT880/600s, the AKG  K712s, the X2s and the AKG Q701s with the HD800s on the way.

When I reach for a set of HPs from my small collection I reach for different, not necessarily "better".  Proper tool for the job as they say.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #24,115 of 46,527
Ok thanks, now we can all sell our 650's and shut this thread down.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #24,116 of 46,527
To talk about something other than whether or not they're better than any others, I found an album that I think matches the 650s pretty well (at least to my ears).
Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits.
I've never heard this album before in this much honey with other phones :) Laid back and smooth. The guy sounds like he's always high, but whatever, I like the guitar.

Also
The Dark Side of the Mooooon
sounds fantastic. absolutely fantastic. Reminds me of the good ol tower speakers and listening to it on warm vinyl :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #24,117 of 46,527
Has anyone here owned a pair of HD-650s for a long time and then had a chance to listen to a new pair?

I am curious if the drivers "age" with time/use or if they continue to sound the same over their lifespan.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #24,118 of 46,527
  Has anyone here owned a pair of HD-650s for a long time and then had a chance to listen to a new pair?

I am curious if the drivers "age" with time/use or if they continue to sound the same over their lifespan.

Give me 10 years, I'll tell ya then. XD

I've heard multiple people say that over many many hours, they sound more refined and open. How long of age are you thinking?

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #24,119 of 46,527

A few weeks back, a gentleman mentioned that he had had the chance to listen to a friends brand new pair of HD650s in comparison to his own HD650s that were several years old. He said he could perceive no difference.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #24,120 of 46,527

I love these discussions.  ( Not really )

I see you have a selection of HPs that parallel mine. I have the HD650s, the DT880/600s, the AKG  K712s, the X2s and the AKG Q701s with the HD800s on the way.

When I reach for a set of HPs from my small collection I reach for different, not necessarily "better".  Proper tool for the job as they say.

Love the last line, I'm the same way, proper tools for the job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back