Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #2,221 of 46,534
Quote:
I usually listen at moderate levels so the volume dial on high gain is pretty much set at 9 o'clock, 10 if I feel like "cranking" it. 12 o'clock is crazy loud. How do you have your Fun connected? I use optical out of my MacBook so I get line level output. If you use usb I'd suggest you check that volume on your mac is set to maximum if it isn't line level. Also, make sure you have your Utilities>Audio Midi Setup configured to match your best quality flac ie 94khz, 24bit (quit itunes entirely before changing these settings).

Lastly, flac is a lossless format. The only thing you're changing with those settings is the output file size (which requires more grunt to achieve smaller sizes), but the quality is unchanged.

I'm using USB; think I'm getting line-level output as well though (changing the volume has no effect on the music).

I had no idea my Macbook had optical out, thanks for the heads up!

Ah, I misinterpreted "compression level" then, thanks for the clarification.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #2,222 of 46,534
he guys, I've been breaking in a new set of HD650's and the treble feels very veiled.  very rolled off or something.  Relative to the other cans in my sig.

Is that just how these cans are?

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #2,223 of 46,534
Brand new out of the box? Running off a Fiio E7? Compared to the etched treble of the M50? Yeah it'd be horribly veiled.

Try giving it some juice and also allow your ears to adjust to the sound. If these things don't help perhaps the HD650 isn't for you.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,224 of 46,534
running out of an E7+E9 actually.  plenty of power for it.  I had to get the E9 because the E7 couldn't drive it to reasonable volume levels.

and understood.  I'll take a break from the D5k/7k for awhile and see how I feel after a few days.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,225 of 46,534

Quote:
running out of an E7+E9 actually.  plenty of power for it.  I had to get the E9 because the E7 couldn't drive it to reasonable volume levels.

and understood.  I'll take a break from the D5k/7k for awhile and see how I feel after a few days.

1 week at the very least, soldier. It takes a good long while to stop listening for what your other headphones do best and to start listening to what the HD650s (or any new headphone) do best.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,226 of 46,534

Quote:

I'd second that you need a break from the D7ks to appreciate the presentation of the 650s.  IMO the D7k is too forward with the treble and the 650s are more natural (read: realistic).  My ears took a few days to adjust to the finer sound of the 650s as well. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #2,227 of 46,534
Just got my HD650 a few hours ago. Loving it so far..well balanced, articulate, and refined. I'm excited to continue listening and experience burn-in / adjustment to the new cans...

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #2,228 of 46,534
congrats! glad you're liking them.
L3000.gif

Quote:
Just got my HD650 a few hours ago. Loving it so far..well balanced, articulate, and refined. I'm excited to continue listening and experience burn-in / adjustment to the new cans...

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #2,229 of 46,534

Quote:
he guys, I've been breaking in a new set of HD650's and the treble feels very veiled.  very rolled off or something.  Relative to the other cans in my sig.

Yes, but I'd suggest the other cans in your rig have elevated treble, at least compared to real life.

Of course, real life doesn't always carry much weight around here.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #2,231 of 46,534
you can get brand new HD650's for around that price from J&R if you haggle.

[size=medium]

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but I'd suggest the other cans in your rig have elevated treble, at least compared to real life.

Of course, real life doesn't always carry much weight around here.

cynical much?  I'd suggest that "real life" is somewhere in between these Senn's and these Denon's.  Neither sounds like "real life" IMO.  Senn's are clearly a tad soft stock.  The Denon's are a tad analytical and sharp in the treble.  They both need help from DACs and Amps to correct their issues so that we can get lost in them.

Let's be real about that.
[/size]

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2,233 of 46,534
I paid $330 shipped at J&R 2 weeks ago.  Walk them down, let them know how interested you are.  They eventually asked me how much I wanted to pay for them.  I crap you not.

And buying from J&R means you can send those puppies back under 30 days if you're not happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back