Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #22,126 of 46,514
I should clarify that I had the LCD -2 Rev 2, prefazor. I bought that and the HE 500 on the same day. Ended up returning the HE 500 and the LCD-2 was my only phone for 2 years. It's probably my 2nd favorite.

I'd love to hear your amp. What have you been able to compare it to?

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #22,127 of 46,514

You seem to have taken my input personally. It wasn't meant to read that way. I have absolutely no doubt that the Crack helps make the 650's sound wonderful. It's on my list. However, to state that a DAC is somehow surplus to requirements is clearly nonsense. Unless we're talking analogue here there has to be a DAC right at the head of the chain, that's a given. The DAC supplies all the information that the Crack then amplifies in order to drive the headphones. Given that you're spending so much money on headphones and amplifier does it surely makes sense to ensure the source (DAC) is as good as you can afford?

You've heard of the 'garbage in, garbage out' theory I presume? The saying originates in the world of computers but we oldies rather wittily applied it to the analogue chain back in the early 80's. The most important part of the system was the turntable, then the amp & then the speakers or headphones. The best transducers in the world can't put back what isn't there to start with, can they? Trust me, Linn wouldn't be where they are now if it hadn't been for them standing the hi-fi industry on it's head with their LP12. I used to sell them.

What is also true though is that the overall character of the sound is affected more by the speakers or headphones. The Crack is just a valve amplifier like all the rest but it's designed in such a way that it's sonic characteristics just happen to work very well when paired with the HD 650 (and others). Whether this was by design or a fluke I have no way of knowing. Like I say, it's on my list. I'll find out one day. Trust me, add a better DAC and the sound will only improve. DAC's do sound different, although in my (admittedly limited) experience not by much.

And just for the record, just because I don't own a component doesn't mean I can't comment on it's quality. I can read and everything I have read about the Crack is good.

It's hard not to take it personally when you enter with a statement like "I just woke up from a coma when I read this... are you serious" etc. etc.

To presume that an AMP needs a DAC is absurd. Why spend an extra $150+ when you are already content with the sound you hear. You can state all the technological facts about it but the truth is when you hear an AMP like the Crack paired with the HD 650's, it will wow you to the point where you won't be craving for any additional upgrades. My point was the Crack doesn't NEED a DAC. You keep pointing out how much a DAC is required when it is not, and if you really believe that you are just forcing people to buy more equipment that they don't really need. Yes, of course any DAC would make any amp sound a bit better, but there is no way that a DAC is required to make the Crack sound enjoyable as it already is. When I added a DAC to the O2, it didn't make me go WOW, I'm so glad I bought the ODAC. However when I built the Crack and used it with the my HD 650's without a DAC, I was instantly immersed in audio bliss.

As to your point of how the iPhone doesn't deliver good audio sound to the HD 650's--you're just twisting my words once again. All we were saying is that the HD 650's can be run on the iPhone without any problems. Does it mean it brings excellent sound? No, like I said, it provides decent sound but it doesn't make HD 650's sound terrible. It just doesn't drive them as well if you had added equipment. 

For your last statement, I wasn't talking about how you can't comment on its quality, I'm speaking about your belief that you NEED a DAC to make your listening experience enjoyable which is completely false.

James

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #22,129 of 46,514
James I am thinking you and Zorro may both have your wires crossed and Zorrofox is reefing to requiring a dac for the Crack to play digital because you mentioned it didn't need a dac but where actually referring to it using the dac in the iphone/pc and not a stand alone desktop dac as many use. At least thats how it read to me.

You are both correct but not on the same page so to speak.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #22,130 of 46,514
OK, fair enough. I apologise for offending you. That was a thoughtless comment. I have one question. If you're not using a DAC in your system can you please tell me what you are using as a source?

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #22,131 of 46,514
  OK, fair enough. I apologise for offending you. That was a thoughtless comment. I have one question. If you're not using a DAC in your system can you please tell me what you are using as a source?

No worries. I now understood your intention so no harm done. The Crack is connected directly to my desktop computer's audio line-out using the stock audio driver.

James

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #22,132 of 46,514
Is it some magical expensive soundcard? Because if it's not you're in for a real treat when you buy an off-board DAC.

You know you want to.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #22,133 of 46,514
  Is it some magical expensive soundcard? Because if it's not you're in for a real treat when you buy an off-board DAC.

You know you want to.

Not at all. I believe its the sound driver that came with the motherboard. Lol, I'm not quite sold on getting a DAC yet. It's just too enjoyable to add anything to it right now. I just replaced the electrolytic caps with polypropelene caps which really made a huge difference and it only cost me less than $60. Best upgrade I ever made. I may check out a Schiit Bifrost in a couple months. We'll see. 
smile.gif

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #22,134 of 46,514
Even if you were able to somehow take the internal DAC out of the computer it would sound better. Too much noise inside a PC. You don't have to go to the Bifrost level but it will surely bring rewards if you do. An ODAC or Schiit equivalent (Modi?) will more than suffice.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #22,135 of 46,514
I'd love to hear your amp. What have you been able to compare it to?

At the time I bought it I also had the Schiit Mjolnir and Bryston BHA-1. For $750.00 (us) the Mjolnir is a fantastic amp but a little crude compared to the orher two. The Bryston is a great amp as well.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #22,136 of 46,514
No worries. I now understood your intention so no harm done. The Crack is connected directly to my desktop computer's audio line-out using the stock audio driver.

James

I'm not a Schitt fanboy or anything, but you would be amazed at the sound the Modi brings out. I got one second hand with an amp I bought, and I just can't part with it. It has great big wide soundstage and really enhances the sound vs Realtek or whatever audio card you have. (I also used my laptops hd audio for a long while and I honestly thought there was no difference vs some cheap DACs I bought). The Modi was audibly better, and very cheap!

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #22,137 of 46,514
At the time I bought it I also had the Schiit Mjolnir and Bryston BHA-1. For $750.00 (us) the Mjolnir is a fantastic amp but a little crude compared to the orher two. The Bryston is a great amp as well.

How do you find the BHA-1 compared to the Senn amp for the HD650? I never bothered with the HD650 until I heard it with the Senn amp, but never heard it with the Bryston.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #22,139 of 46,514
skipped the last 200posts...
just listened to andrea bocelli..and sarah brightman,
took my breath away.

none of my "totl"cans do this to me.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #22,140 of 46,514
Perhaps a turntable?
biggrin.gif

Just playing the devils advocate haha

Yeah, I was beginning to think that way myself & that I'd made a big mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back