Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #21,076 of 46,533
I just ordered a 650 last night from bhvideophoto for $313.99 flat. At the time i thought it was a good deal but I'm not so sure anymore. I wanted them because I thought they were a big step up from my 598s, but after looking at some reviews, many say that the 650 is boring and the 598 is more engaging. I use my 598 with gaming and I love the soundstage it produces, I wish it had more bass but it's still nice and tight. Ive also heard the 650 has a smaller soundstage. I may just return the item immedietly without opening it to avoid the restocking fee
frown.gif

Update: I plan on using them with a Cayin C5 portable amp.

I have both the 598 and the 650. I could see why you would love the 598 for gaming, but for music, the 650 is in a whole 'nother league.

That said, coming from the 598, you will need time to adjust to the 650 (read: listen only the 650 for a period of time, like a week or two, and see that you don't love them afterwards).

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #21,077 of 46,533
I have both the 598 and the 650. I could see why you would love the 598 for gaming, but for music, the 650 is in a whole 'nother league.

That said, coming from the 598, you will need time to adjust to the 650 (read: listen only the 650 for a period of time, like a week or two, and see that you don't love them afterwards).

I agree with this. I own both as well, and the HD598 sounds wonderful without any amplification but does not scale well at all.

The HD650 will sound boring and stuffy without the proper amplification. Give it something that pairs well with it and it's second to none in terms of musicality.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #21,078 of 46,533
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to the world of hifi audio.  My first foray into "decent" headphones resulted in the purchase of a pair of Sennheiser HD-380 Pros a few months ago.  I love them.  Even my vast MP3 collection got an upgrade with these phones.  Old favorites were practically new songs.  Then I got the bug.  I bought a Schiit Modi+Magni stack.  And I discovered the Tidal subscription service.  And now I'm awaiting the arrival of my shiny new Sennheiser HD-650s.

My question to those more experienced is: how should I expect the HD-650s to be different?  With my HD-380 Pros, I find that I hear details in my music I have never heard before.  I am very satisfied with the bass, and don't feel the trebel is too harsh on the 380s, but I have no reference.  So I have no idea what I'm in for.

And another thing: I'm reading conflicting attitudes regarding the suitability of the Modi+Magni combo for driving the HD-650s.  I suppose since I have no reference, and the HD-650s are known for being able to grow with you, I should be fine; but, would there be a noticeable difference if I went with Modi+Vali?  Do these headphones demand more (Bifrost Uber + Asgard2 or Bifrost Uber + Valhalla2)?

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #21,079 of 46,533
^^^ Welcome to Head-Fi ... sorry about your wallet.

Enjoy your new 'phones with your excellent Modi + Magni stack. One upgrade at a time, IMO, or you will burn through cash without learning to love what you have (and learning what you like, along the way).

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #21,080 of 46,533
  Hi all,

I am a complete newbie to the world of hifi audio.  My first foray into "decent" headphones resulted in the purchase of a pair of Sennheiser HD-380 Pros a few months ago.  I love them.  Even my vast MP3 collection got an upgrade with these phones.  Old favorites were practically new songs.  Then I got the bug.  I bought a Schiit Modi+Magni stack.  And I discovered the Tidal subscription service.  And now I'm awaiting the arrival of my shiny new Sennheiser HD-650s.

My question to those more experienced is: how should I expect the HD-650s to be different?  With my HD-380 Pros, I find that I hear details in my music I have never heard before.  I am very satisfied with the bass, and don't feel the trebel is too harsh on the 380s, but I have no reference.  So I have no idea what I'm in for.

And another thing: I'm reading conflicting attitudes regarding the suitability of the Modi+Magni combo for driving the HD-650s.  I suppose since I have no reference, and the HD-650s are known for being able to grow with you, I should be fine; but, would there be a noticeable difference if I went with Modi+Vali?  Do these headphones demand more (Bifrost Uber + Asgard2 or Bifrost Uber + Valhalla2)?

1.  How will the 650's be different?  I can tell you but maybe later.  YOU will hear them and experience them for yourself.  No reason to add to preconceptions of what you may hear, especially since with your research you might already have expectations.  Plug them in and listen and enjoy!
2.  Yes, your M&M stack will be excellent.  I do prefer the Vali over the Magni, but I can't tell you how MUCH difference there is.  I decided to sell the Magni at a slight loss and buy a Vali.    
So, the math worked out to be about $40 more to dig the Vali, and for me it was worth it.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #21,081 of 46,533
I've been wondering this, too. I'm guessing that their policy led to lower sales figures. Or they're allowing seasonal sales. I think Sennheiser was selling HD650s for about $270 this time last year. Or it could be both.

The the markup in the headphone industry is tremendous, larger than most. Or else why have we seen so many companies small and large jump in with both feet? According to a New York Times article, a pair of headphones like Beats might cost between $14 and $22 to manufacture. 
I'm sure the figure can't be that much higher for a HD650. And as they've been selling them for a long time, they've more than recouped their one-time R&D and manufacturing expenses.

Another part of the picture is that the popularity of headphones has exploded in the past ten years. They've become enough of a commodity that Sennheiser can lower the price on these and still profit wildly.
However many HD650s sold annually when they were introduced (maybe low five figures?), I'm sure the number nowadays is easily five- or tenfold that.

Lastly, while the HD650 continues to enjoy a cachet as a premium product, the marketplace for headphones in the HD650's range has become much more crowded. Which is due to the wild profit margins of headphones. I'm not sure how sustainable it is in the long term for Sennheiser to keep a heavy hand on their MSRP of $500. 

Makes me wonder of the profit margins on something like the LCD-3... Really puts me off from thinking about getting one (or anything else in that atmospheric price range) in the future even though I loved their sound.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #21,082 of 46,533

When I comes to listening on my 598, gaming and music listening are pretty much split equally. So my question is, how good is the soundstage on the 650 compared to the 598. Before I got the Cayin C5 amp, I tried a Fiio E12 and hated how closed in my headphones sounded. The C5 gives a really good soundstage to headphones and is very powerful, it feels perfect for me. I forgot to mention this, but I'm actually going to return the 598s if I open the 650s, that's why I'm trying to figure out how they will sound compared to my 598 and whether I'll like the sound.

I agree with this. I own both as well, and the HD598 sounds wonderful without any amplification but does not scale well at all.

The HD650 will sound boring and stuffy without the proper amplification. Give it something that pairs well with it and it's second to none in terms of musicality.

Not sure if you have any familiarity with the Cayin C5, but its a powerful portable amp with great soundstage reproduction. Some have commented before on the Cayin C5 thread that the 650 pairs well with it but I'm not sure how well.

Update: In terms of Sound signiture, what is the main difference between the 598 and 650. My main concern is opening the headphones, trying them for a week and finding out I like the 598s more. I purchased the 650s from BHphotovideo.com . They charge a 15% restocking fee at the minimum if I return them opened.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #21,083 of 46,533
  Hi all,

Don't expect fireworks. The HD 650 is better than your current choice in every way but they won't shout it at you. Sit back and relax. Your DAC & amp are well up to the job, don't worry about it. Is there a specific genre of music you like?

edit - I meant to say, it's now time to start looking at building a FLAC collection. Your brain will thank you.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #21,084 of 46,533
Makes me wonder of the profit margins on something like the LCD-3... Really puts me off from thinking about getting one (or anything else in that atmospheric price range) in the future even though I loved their sound.

Probably a high profit margin, but probably needs to be, since they are way smaller than someone like Sennheiser, Beats, etc.  They can't amortize their development costs over millions of units.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #21,085 of 46,533

The word you're looking for is stratospheric. You're already in the atmospheric price range. :wink:

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #21,086 of 46,533
  I was just wanting to hear the HD 650 brought up to date. Perhaps using the same chassis as the HD 700 / HD 800. I read that that chassis is very comfortable. Something with the same subdued sound signature but, well, more.

I would love that too but I doubt they will do it. Theyre still selling HD6x0 years and years after release.  They will probably come out with an HD850 or 900 or something.  It wouldnt be smart to discontinue the HD6x0 when it still sells.  Offer something "better" and more expensive, like a new flagship.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #21,087 of 46,533

Probably a high profit margin, but probably needs to be, since they are way smaller than someone like Sennheiser, Beats, etc.  They can't amortize their development costs over millions of units.

I had to look "amortize" up. Well done mate. Good word.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #21,088 of 46,533

Users who are viewing this thread

Back