Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #19,861 of 46,565
And one thing also.....the audeze LCD-X, LCD3's do sound better than hd650's, but only one problem.....are they 3 times better?? Heck no.....I think the performance on my hd650's is superb! They REALLY do scale well :D that's a known fact I've experienced over the last few years :) I've tried some pretty high end headphones, and I STILL love my hd650, and wouldn't buy any other headphone, don't care if it's audeze, or sennheiser hd800! I'd have to get it for free.....because I love my hd650's, and nothing above them is worth the extra $$$

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #19,862 of 46,565
In case someone haven't read this, it's worth a read. A very good source of information when say, trying to compare the HD650 to TOTLs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #19,863 of 46,565
I agree with what people are saying about burn-in, these are the only headphones I've owned which do appreciably change when the hours are piled on.

Here's a thing...

The HD 650 is warm. Valve amps are warm. Why would the two together be better than Solid State?

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #19,864 of 46,565
I agree with what people are saying about burn-in, these are the only headphones I've owned which do appreciably change when the hours are piled on.

Here's a thing...

The HD 650 is warm. Valve amps are warm. Why would the two together be better than Solid State?

Even though it seems counter-intuitive using HD650s with a tube amp, they possess ability to compliment each other with greater tonal richness and breadth. Think of it like an oil painting, where successive strokes of a hue enhance depth, richness and texture. That being said, not all tube amplifiers are created equal. Some may enhance the depth and listening experience of the HD650s, more than others. The 650s may also perform well with some SS amps, too, although other SS amps lend well to hyper detail like the HDVD800, and pair better with similar detailed headphones such as the HD800, or HD600 which emphasize crisp clear detail and are more flat than the HD650s. I realize this is a more of an impression rather than technical assessment, but hope it is beneficial...

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #19,865 of 46,565
Here's a thing...

"Valve amps are warm" is a bit of a sweeping statement you might just as well say solid state amps are cold and analytical and lifeless

Where has your view that valve amps are warm come from? 

Of the eleven amplifiers in Tyll Hertsens Innerfidelity wall of fame for headphone amplifiers, six are tube based, I doubt they gained that accolade from being warm or rolled off.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-headphone-amplifiers

"Every detail, every brush stroke on a drum skin, every fingernail tick on a guitar string, every chuff of air across the mouth of an organ pipe, was simply available to be heard in organic proportion." Can you tell I love this amp?

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #19,866 of 46,565
Perhaps warm is the wrong word, maybe it's dark. Whatever, I very rarely hear of anyone going the way of tubes in a search for more detail. I'venever heard a valve amp though, so iIcould very well be wrong. It certainly wwouldn'tbe the first time.

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #19,867 of 46,565
Perhaps warm is the wrong word, maybe it's dark. Whatever, I very rarely hear of anyone going the way of tubes in a search for more detail. I'venever heard a valve amp though, so iIcould very well be wrong. It certainly wwouldn'tbe the first time.

Let me emphatically assure you, using a tube (valve) amp with HD650s, the detail is most deffinitely there in abundance. If you have not had opportunity to listen to a tube amp, then you are, indeed, in for a treat! Do you have access to an audiophile shop within reasonable distance, there in Scotland? If not, perhaps you may use the head-fi search bar to locate other head-fiers, kind enough to permit you to listen to their amps, using your HD650s?

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #19,868 of 46,565

"lack of bass" issues with the HD650 !!! 
blink.gif

I have not listened to the HD650 yet.  I did spend about 3 weeks with the HD600.  Some write as though the 650 has much more bass than the 600, others such as Tyll at Innerfidelity, write that there is not a lot of difference between the two, they are different, but not hugely so.

HD600 compared to Soundmagic HP150 - the 600 is lacking in bass.
HD600 compared to Phillip X-1 - the 600 is lacking in bass.
HD600 compared to Shure 1540 - the 600 is lacking in bass.

I repeat, I have not had the chance to hear the HD650 (I really want to), but they would have to have a huge increase in bass compared to the 600 to even be in the same league, bass-wise, as the headphones listed above.

So yeah, it is your frame of reference, if you have had a few months with one of those headphones, and come to the HD600, it is going to sound lacking in bass.
If you had a few months with the HD600 and went to one of those headphones, they are going to sound bass heavy.

I loved the HD600, but returned them because they didn't have the impact, or quantity I wanted in bass.  When I EQ'd the bass up on them, it covered the mids that I loved.  I am now trying the X-1 and the 1540, and am finding I can EQ the bass down on them when I want, and not lose the mids.

So if the HD650 is indeed a very great jump up in bass compared to the HD600, then I need to hear them.  (I listened to all of these with the same equipment, modi/magni stack)

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #19,869 of 46,565
Its a myth basically, i blame the abundance of cheap valve amps that do fall into the "warm and cuddly" sound signature.  More often than not they are made in China.

If your used to the HD650 from an O2 something like a Bottlehead Crack will a nice tube will blow your socks off!

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #19,870 of 46,565

I have not listened to the HD650 yet.  I did spend about 3 weeks with the HD600.  Some write as though the 650 has much more bass than the 600, others such as Tyll at Innerfidelity, write that there is not a lot of difference between the two, they are different, but not hugely so.

HD600 compared to Soundmagic HP150 - the 600 is lacking in bass.
HD600 compared to Phillip X-1 - the 600 is lacking in bass.
HD600 compared to Shure 1540 - the 600 is lacking in bass.

I repeat, I have not had the chance to hear the HD650 (I really want to), but they would have to have a huge increase in bass compared to the 600 to even be in the same league, bass-wise, as the headphones listed above.

So yeah, it is your frame of reference, if you have had a few months with one of those headphones, and come to the HD600, it is going to sound lacking in bass.
If you had a few months with the HD600 and went to one of those headphones, they are going to sound bass heavy.

I loved the HD600, but returned them because they didn't have the impact, or quantity I wanted in bass.  When I EQ'd the bass up on them, it covered the mids that I loved.  I am now trying the X-1 and the 1540, and am finding I can EQ the bass down on them when I want, and not lose the mids.

So if the HD650 is indeed a very great jump up in bass compared to the HD600, then I need to hear them.  (I listened to all of these with the same equipment, modi/magni stack)

I really liked this format, so I will try to fill-in my experiences, but with the HD-650s.

Connected to my DX90 and amped through the Schiit ASGARD 2 amp:

HD650 compared to Sennheiser RS-180 - the 650 is "clearer and more detailed", but lacking in bass.
HD650 compared to Grado SR225e - the 650 is "warmer" and noticeably superior in bass.  (The Grados are detail MONSTERS, and awesome if you like the "Grado sound".)
HD650 compared to Shure 1540 - the 650 is "fuller, clearer, and more detailed", and slightly heavier in bass.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #19,872 of 46,565
Wow! The 1540 to my ears has a lot of bass. Now I really need to hear the 650.

As long as you get my meaning that it is HEAVIER, not "Boomier".  The HD-650 has a more SOLID and authoritative bass to my ears.  The 1540s I heard certainly had an ample amount, I just felt that the HD-650 did bass "better".  Attack, shape, definition and detail is all present and discernable over and above the typical "THUMP" that I hear in most headphones.  For instance, I LOVE the JVC SZ2000 sound for fun, "shake your teeth out of your jaw" bass when it's appropriate.  In terms of sheer QUANTITY and even "Solidity" of BASS, I've not heard another headphone that touches it.  But if you want to experience every aspect of the individual bass tones from each attack, to crescendo, to fade, then the HD-650 just does that part better.  Would it be correct to say it has a more "analytical bass"?  If that is a proper term, then that is how I would describe it.

Sincere apologies if my post was misleading.  But YES, you really NEED to listen to a pair of broken-in HD-650s connected to a good amp source, (NOT an iPhone or mini-amp.  It will work, but the sound will likely be thin and lifeless even if the volume goes loud enough.) for yourself.  When I listen to them on my Schiit ASGARD 2, they sound like completely different headphones than when I listen to them straight out of one of our iPads (The original gen iPad isn't even loud enough in a quiet room!) or iPhones (4s & 5) and while they sound much better out of our DX90 or if the i-devices are amped through our FIIO e17, it still just doesn't really get rolling until they are on the ASGARD 2.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #19,873 of 46,565
I have both the SRH1540 and the HD650.  The 1540 has more overall bass, which also bleeds into the midrange.  The 650 has more defined bass with better texture and less midrange bleed.  For some tracks, I actually find the 1540 to be unbearable.  For example, I can't listen to Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day concert with them because it's just bass everywhere.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #19,874 of 46,565
  I have both the SRH1540 and the HD650.  The 1540 has more overall bass, which also bleeds into the midrange.  The 650 has more defined bass with better texture and less midrange bleed.  For some tracks, I actually find the 1540 to be unbearable.  For example, I can't listen to Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day concert with them because it's just bass everywhere.

IMO could be due to its closed-back design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back