Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #15,871 of 46,564
 You're are certainly right. BUT...my point is that this is an appreciation thread for the 650 and maybe not the best place to make claims about the 598 being a better all round hp. 

I was thinking that there was a difference between an "appreciation" site and a "fan" site,  and where else would a reply be made?
wink_face.gif

Personally I think he should go straight to the HD650 and not waste money on the journey to it like I did
bigsmile_face.gif

(and pleeease someone tell me if I love HD650 I won't like HD800, because some ads/prices I've seen lately have me wavering, noooo!)

If you don't like much wider soundstage then HD800 are not for you but since it gives me better instruments separation and details retrieval I definitely enjoying HD800

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #15,872 of 46,564
How the Crack sounds is going to come as quiet a surprise to you.

Has anyone measured the crack and published the results? If I could see the data I might have a better understating of what pleasing 'distortion' is at play. My guess is that high output impedance is the biggest factor at play? What is the output impedance of the crack?

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #15,873 of 46,564
Has anyone measured the crack and published the results? If I could see the data I might have a better understating of what pleasing 'distortion' is at play. My guess is that high output impedance is the biggest factor at play? What is the output impedance of the crack?

What, afraid of "coloring" the music...this coming from someone that likes a wonky sounding headphone that is far from neutral.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #15,874 of 46,564
The crack is tailor made for 300 ohm impedance hp's. I think that many would be surprised at the sound stage and speed of the hd650 on the crack (two things that the 650 is not known to exceed in). 

The boys at bottlehead would be smart to start a crack tour. I believe that they would see there sales soar. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #15,875 of 46,564
I am considering an "upgrade" from my HD650's. I love the all around great sound across most genres that the HD650's and I was wondering what I could move up to that was similar to the HD650, but "better". I guess I'd say the 650's hit the sweet spot in it's pricerange and even reasonably above it, but I presume there must be a HP at the $1000-1300 that is just as capable across a a large group of music genres? I don't want anything massively difficult to drive. I have a O2 Amp, and Odac, and also a crackamp (about to install the speedball upgrade).

HD800 all the way.

+1
Especially since you have Crack

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #15,876 of 46,564
What, afraid of "coloring" the music...this coming from someone that likes a wonky sounding headphone that is far from neutral.

Wonky sounding headphone? FR of headphones should be 'wonky' to sound neutral. Speakers have Flat FR and the room/ space between them and our ears effects the FR. Therefore HP need to mimic this response. A flat FR headphone would sound awful !!!!!!!

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #15,877 of 46,564
  The crack is tailor made for 300 ohm impedance hp's. I think that many would be surprised at the sound stage and speed of the hd650 on the crack (two things that the 650 is not known to exceed in). 

The boys at bottlehead would be smart to start a crack tour. I believe that they would see there sales soar. 
biggrin.gif

I wonder if they'll *tour* towards the UK 
biggrin.gif
. Maybe I could smooth talk them into some discounts..

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #15,878 of 46,564
Wonky sounding headphone? FR of headphones should be 'wonky' to sound neutral. Speakers have Flat FR and the room/ space between them and our ears effects the FR. Therefore HP need to mimic this response. A flat FR headphone would sound awful !!!!!!!

Yeah, a boosted treble would be even worse.  Why even consider purchase a crack when you can just listen to the bass on your HD800 for what distortion sounds like. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #15,881 of 46,564
Okay, here is the tip of the day. Grab your 650's, get comfy in your recliner, grab a tall cold beverage, fire up your amp (hopefully crack), cue up Muddy Waters: Folk Singer (24/96)...prepare for your world to be rocked!! 
eek.gif

Some is one of the best blues albums ever recorded, period...done. (pouring myself another tall cold beverage) I think I've reached the promised land boys. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #15,883 of 46,564
  Okay, here is the tip of the day. Grab your 650's, get comfy in your recliner, grab a tall cold beverage, fire up your amp (hopefully crack), cue up Muddy Waters: Folk Singer (24/96)...prepare for your world to be rocked!! 
eek.gif

Some is one of the best blues albums ever recorded, period...done. (pouring myself another tall cold beverage) I think I've reached the promised land boys. 
biggrin.gif

Does this work on Sunday nights? 

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #15,885 of 46,564
  Yeah, but it seems to be the answer to all the questions.  It is a good headphone...but I think it is a very specific requirement for sound that the general populace does not adhere to.

That's a pompous stance. If I had blindly followed detractors like you I would've formed the impression that the HD800 is the death of music. Kinda like how the regurgitated myths of a veiled and lifeless headphone made me weary of the HD650. I'm glad I took a punt against the zealots. Buying, spending time and subsequently building a system around both headphones made me realise that they're not mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

To me the HD650 and HD800 are both as musically engaging. The HD650 with its warm, homogenous yet pleasing tint. The HD800 with its unfiltered rendition of the recording. To my ears, the HD800 is the reference, the more neutral headphone.

I have no qualms with grating treble. IMO, that's symptomatic of inadequate gear upstream. You don't need coloured components to blunt the HD800's peaks, just gear sans the sandy grit evident in the upper registers. Some will claim this quality is only found in expensive gear. The Vali lays waste to that in the amp department. Not sure about an equivalent source in the same price bracket, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
[...]

Yeah, a boosted treble would be even worse.  Why even consider purchase a crack when you can just listen to the bass on your HD800 for what distortion sounds like.  
rolleyes.gif

I wonder - have you even heard the HD800?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back