Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 2, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #46,503 of 46,514
Yup still a good headphone even in 2024.

IMG_9222.jpeg

May 3, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #46,504 of 46,514
Yup still a good headphone even in 2024.

IMG_9222.jpeg
Whats this headphone amp? Manufacturer or DIY. If DIY please more information about.

May 3, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #46,505 of 46,514
May 3, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #46,508 of 46,514
I've done the complete modification before but I gave the headphone away. Now I just use it untouched.
Removing the silver screen and using micropore tape around the diaphragm perimeter (1 or 2 layers, depending on your preference) and felt tape around everything else in the baffle, makes them smoother, more bassy and more natural sounding. Gone is the slight metallic edge that was caused, by, literally, the metal screen infront of the diaphragm.

If you want the same amount of bass I'd recommend using 2 layers of micropore tape on the baffle instead of felt tape.

May 3, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #46,511 of 46,514
It certainly is for many. You can get roughly the same sound as tubes on typical solid state by doing the mod, for those wondering.

Tube and solid state amps will never sound the same no matter how you mod the HD650. I've have a whole range of ss headphone amps before I gave them up for good and I did the whole shebang of modding HD650 following Purrin's method.

May 3, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #46,512 of 46,514
Removing the silver screen and using micropore tape around the diaphragm perimeter (1 or 2 layers, depending on your preference) and felt tape around everything else in the baffle, makes them smoother, more bassy and more natural sounding. Gone is the slight metallic edge that was caused, by, literally, the metal screen infront of the diaphragm.

If you want the same amount of bass I'd recommend using 2 layers of micropore tape on the baffle instead of felt tape.
The Custom Cans driver weight mod is a solid solution for more bass, too. Remove grille, snap weight on outside of driver cage, reattach grille. Works well to enhance bass.

But it's about $36 USD. Not as cheap as micropore tape, but less invasive ... :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #46,513 of 46,514
Tube and solid state amps will never sound the same no matter how you mod the HD650. I've have a whole range of ss headphone amps before I gave them up for good and I did the whole shebang of modding HD650 following Purrin's method.
The Custom Cans driver weight mod is a solid solution for more bass, too. Remove grille, snap weight on outside of driver cage, reattach grille. Works well to enhance bass.

But it's about $36 USD. Not as cheap as micropore tape, but less invasive ... :)
I also tried all of SBAF mods and the CC driver mod. The SBAF mods mostly lower bass quantity, no matter which mod they don't get rid of the slight 4 - 5khz edge because the metal mesh is still there. It's physics, metal material = metallic quality. Tube amps lessen it because they lower attack harmonics, but the attack gets lessened on the whole sound, making the bass texture soft.

The CC mod on it's own does increase the bass yes, but again doesn't remove the 5khz edge. I have the CC mod + felt and micropore tape mod, best result to have both :)

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #46,514 of 46,514
Received a piece of :poop: today, and the HD 650 was the first transducer I plugged into it.
1714789682855.png

Schiit Magni Heretic paired with the LP DAC

Unity/Medium gain with the volume knob at noon is like the sweetest spot for my own OCD. Never underestimate these little Magnis. More than enough power to drive these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back