Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #40,171 of 46,499
More time with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, and I think I'm going to keep them on.

The bass is improved greatly, which I think is something that everyone will like. I'm not sure if there's any actual treble loss - perhaps what I detected was more about the increased bass presence. If there is treble loss, I feel that the headset is less zingy, which is actually a good thing.

EDIT: After a few hours of listening, I put back on the original pads and will leave them on. These pads remove every speck of grain from the HD650 and make it an incredibly creamy headphone. I can see people going nuts over the sound signature like this - personally, the original is best for me.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #40,172 of 46,499
A quick word on my beloved HD-650. This headphone is picky about amplification. This is where the veil myth comes from. The HD-650 is not veiled; amplifiers are veiled. Use a good one and it can sound as quick and transparent as much more expensive headphones. It's all about the amp's damping factor. The damping factor is HUGE with the HD-650. If you don't have a tight damping factor, that's where the veil and bass bloat comes from. For example I use my HD650 w/ the Crown D-75 which has an incredible 400 damping factor and the HD650 sound as good as the Focal Utopia which I had and sold. Many are going to scoff at what I just wrote but I've listened to & owned both and I prefer the HD650's sound "when it's properly amped". IMHO I think the HD650 is being replaced by the HD660 S precisely for the reason I'm stating in this post. Most audiophiles today use multi purpose DACs/ amps which can preferably be portable also. It's no coincidence that the HD660 S' ohm is 150 compared to HD650's 300 ohm, which makes the newer model more compatible with today's preferred sources. The HD650 was at one time Sennheiser's flagship & when it is properly amplified it still sounds like a flagship headphone, again, IMHO.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #40,173 of 46,499
A quick word on my beloved HD-650. This headphone is picky about amplification. This is where the veil myth comes from. The HD-650 is not veiled; amplifiers are veiled. Use a good one and it can sound as quick and transparent as much more expensive headphones. It's all about the amp's damping factor. The damping factor is HUGE with the HD-650. If you don't have a tight damping factor, that's where the veil and bass bloat comes from. For example I use my HD650 w/ the Crown D-75 which has an incredible 400 damping factor and the HD650 sound as good as the Focal Utopia which I had and sold. Many are going to scoff at what I just wrote but I've listened to & owned both and I prefer the HD650's sound "when it's properly amped". IMHO I think the HD650 is being replaced by the HD660 S precisely for the reason I'm stating in this post. Most audiophiles today use multi purpose DACs/ amps which can preferably be portable also. It's no coincidence that the HD660 S' ohm is 150 compared to HD650's 300 ohm, which makes the newer model more compatible with today's preferred sources. The HD650 was at one time Sennheiser's flagship & when it is properly amplified it still sounds like a flagship headphone, again, IMHO.

Just so you have little more support for your point sir :p
from http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/crown/d-75.htm
crwnamp.jpg

yes your point about the Utopia surprised me a bit, but you're right it (650) was once upon a time a flagship along with its enemies 880/701 former Kings:wink: ,

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #40,174 of 46,499
A quick word on my beloved HD-650. This headphone is picky about amplification. This is where the veil myth comes from. The HD-650 is not veiled; amplifiers are veiled.

Thank you. Very tired of hearing this veiled nonsense. Either people aren't properly amping them or are used to listening to elevated *treble.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #40,175 of 46,499
Thank you. Very tired of hearing this veiled nonsense. Either people aren't properly amping them or are used to listening to elevated bass.

Yeah. I never find the HD650 veiled. With proper amp, it sounds phenomenal. I am agree that HD800 provides awesome clarity and detail but that doesn't make the HD650 veil; it's just different in sound signature IMO

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #40,176 of 46,499
Yeah. I never find the HD650 veiled. With proper amp, it sounds phenomenal. I am agree that HD800 provides awesome clarity and detail but that doesn't make the HD650 veil; it's just different in sound signature IMO

Yeah, and just want to clarify I meant treble, not bass lol.

Nov 18, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #40,177 of 46,499
Nov 18, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #40,179 of 46,499
Has anyone used this cable? If so did you notice any improvement in sound over the stock cable?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Silv...hash=item487bf3318e:m:mZO5yoExf9T4WXAoILadqJQ
I'm interested in trying a different cable and see if it makes any difference in sound quality. However, I don't want to spend much more than 50 euros so this cable would be in the right price range.
I wouldn't expect a cable to make any difference is sound, especially one that at under 50 euros and also having tried some much higher priced cables from Double-Helix and Forza I've never heard any headphone cable make a difference is sound but this doesn't mean that its not possible for a cable to make a difference, just my personal experience so far.

Hi, just curious is there a way to listen to movies using these, such as plugging my amp into a PS4 controller, and headphones onto the amp? And would a DAC be useful here?

Anyone use these for movies?
The way I use my headphones (usually HD700 or SRH-1850) is I have my cable box & Blueray player connected to my HT receiver and I use the headphone jack of the HT receiver. I tried my HD650, HD800 and a few other headphones but like the results with the HD700 and SRH-1840 best.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #40,180 of 46,499

Just please realize and remember that this is your preference. I see so many people lately who insist that HD650 is automatically as good or better than TOTL headphones for everyone - which simply isn't the case. While HD650 is a great headphone, with a lot of detail, linear frequency curve and a smooth, addicting sound that manages to convey realism, they are not perfect or without fault. The treble is not well extended, the bass will never ever touch the more powerful dynamic headphones out there, and its soundstaging and imagine is not near top of its class either.

Please note that this isn't an attack on you or your post, I am just sick of hearing people hype the HD650 up without accepting that it contains flaws which very likely are dealbreakers for many people. At its price its easily the best headphone available.

Nov 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #40,182 of 46,499
Has anyone used this cable? If so did you notice any improvement in sound over the stock cable?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Silv...hash=item487bf3318e:m:mZO5yoExf9T4WXAoILadqJQ
I'm interested in trying a different cable and see if it makes any difference in sound quality. However, I don't want to spend much more than 50 euros so this cable would be in the right price range.
I bought one of these in an auction for < $30 a year or two ago as I wanted something shorter than the standard cable and it was no dearer than the parts I needed to make one ( I liked the idea of silver plated in teflon).
It might have been a bit brighter, but I couldn't be bothered ABing them.
Mine was a little long at 2.1M(my error thought it was for a 1.2M), It had four wires all the way to the plug, so I converted it to balanced and shortened it and that's what I've used since I got the Jot.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #40,183 of 46,499
Thank you. Very tired of hearing this veiled nonsense. Either people aren't properly amping them or are used to listening to elevated *treble.

I suspect it's more the latter. Many headphones (and speakers, for that matter) have an - to my ears, anyway - exaggerated treble in order to sound more 'detailed' or 'transparent'.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #40,184 of 46,499

Or how about this: Hearing acuity and frequency ranges vary from individual to individual. While it may not sound "veiled" to you, obviously it does to quite a few. The "Sennheiser Veil" is not a myth, it's simply the way some people hear these headphones. They aren't wrong, and neither are you.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #40,185 of 46,499
Just please realize and remember that this is your preference. I see so many people lately who insist that HD650 is automatically as good or better than TOTL headphones for everyone - which simply isn't the case. While HD650 is a great headphone, with a lot of detail, linear frequency curve and a smooth, addicting sound that manages to convey realism, they are not perfect or without fault. The treble is not well extended, the bass will never ever touch the more powerful dynamic headphones out there, and its soundstaging and imagine is not near top of its class either.

Please note that this isn't an attack on you or your post, I am just sick of hearing people hype the HD650 up without accepting that it contains flaws which very likely are dealbreakers for many people. At its price its easily the best headphone available.

I do realize that the HD650 is my preference the same as other headphones are someone else's preference. I'm not sure what you mean by TOTL headphones for others. BTW no headphone no matter what the price is perfect or without fault. Also I still believe that "at it's price" (your quote) it's better than some headphones which cost much more. That is my opinion and the HD650 is still a flagship headphone price not withstanding. Again, my opinion. You're allowed to disagree.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back