Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #40,141 of 46,514
I'm due to receive a pair of HD6XX's from Massdrop very soon. I would like to ask your recommendations for a portable amp.
My DAP is a Onkyo DP-X1 and at 75mW at 32 ohms (unbalanced) I fear it will be under powered for the HD6XX. I like the Oppo HA-2Se. But it's possibly borderline on being under powered also. Anyone have any suggestions on something better in the same price range (doesn't have to include a DAC). Maybe the FiiO A5?

Try them with your Onkyo first it may suprise you...

Nov 11, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #40,143 of 46,514
I'm due to receive a pair of HD6XX's from Massdrop very soon. I would like to ask your recommendations for a portable amp.
My DAP is a Onkyo DP-X1 and at 75mW at 32 ohms (unbalanced) I fear it will be under powered for the HD6XX. I like the Oppo HA-2Se. But it's possibly borderline on being under powered also. Anyone have any suggestions on something better in the same price range (doesn't have to include a DAC). Maybe the FiiO A5?

I'm using the HD6XX with my Oppo HA-2SE and it has enough power to drive them in high gain setting.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #40,144 of 46,514
Oh, that's my plan. But I still want to research a suitable amp.
FWIW I've used my Fiio X3ii a few times with my HD650 and its not bad compared to my desktop setup of Bimby/BH Crack since i don't listen at very high levels. If you listen at more than 75-80dB then the X3ii will be a little under powered to get them to that listening level.

Nov 11, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #40,145 of 46,514
Just got my HD 6XX, and I'm immediately impressed, even with them straight out of my HP Spectre x360. My Dragonfly Red improves them some as well. I'm looking forward to when my Cavalli CTH/Grace SDAC come so I can get some more proper amplification on these bad boys...

Also, for the record, I don't hear any veil.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #40,148 of 46,514
I haven't heard anything yet about when I might expect to receive my HD6XX. Hopefully soon.

They state that they are trying to ship them out in the order the pledges were made. 7,000 went out last week and they're expecting another shipment in this week - that'll go out after some QA is done. I pledged mine in mid July and so far I haven't received and shipping alert. But I'm glad that overall they are shipping well ahead of schedule.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #40,151 of 46,514
So I got my HD6xx in last week. Gave them 2 day burn in and used them since last Thursday after the burn in.

Not really blown away. First off, the clamp force was way too much. A little bending and it was tolerable, but still not the greatest. The pads are extra firm and not exactly my preference. I like a soft memory foam earpad, not a super firm normal foam earpad. The velour though was very nice. I was surprised it wasn't the lint magnet I was expecting it to be as black velour tends to be a lint/hair magnet.

The sound was a bit boring to me. Mids were clear and preset, nothing emphasized. Treble was clear, preset, and only slightly rolled off. Very nice mids and treble. The bass was anemic. I mean it was there, but nothing punchy at all. Bass sounded technical without being fun. I didn't hear any veil or extra warmth at all. The bass is on par with my m560 stock. Both are very anemic to me with bass. Neither are rolled off on bass, just that bass is very quiet and recessed to the background. EQing the HD6xx had the same response as the m560. Both could take nice levels of eqing on the bass without distortion to bring the listening experience up to nice levels.

My other real problem with the sound was the ho-hum sound stage. It was there, but just barely outside my head.Imaging was good, but sound stage was nothing compared to a few other cans I have with direct A/B comparisons.

Mine came with a single ridiculously long janky cord though. The box was nice at least. Those are my impressions of the HD6XX. I found the Sennheiser HD206s to be better sounding in my opinion. I didn't find anything horrible with the HD6XX, just nothing to make fall in love with them over other options I have.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #40,152 of 46,514
Anybody else try the Dekoni fenestrated leather earpads with the HD650? Had a quick listen - it seemed to reinforce the bass, and surprisingly, warm the sound signature up.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #40,153 of 46,514
Anybody else try the Dekoni fenestrated leather earpads with the HD650? Had a quick listen - it seemed to reinforce the bass, and surprisingly, warm the sound signature up.
No thank you. IMO, they are warm enough as is. I've tried a couple sets of pads on the HD650 and always go back to the stock pads.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #40,154 of 46,514
No thank you. IMO, they are warm enough as is. I've tried a couple sets of pads on the HD650 and always go back to the stock pads.
Yeah... although it was a quick listen. I'll have to see. I wish there were measurements....

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #40,155 of 46,514
So I got my HD6xx in last week. Gave them 2 day burn in and used them since last Thursday after the burn in.

Not really blown away. First off, the clamp force was way too much. A little bending and it was tolerable, but still not the greatest. The pads are extra firm and not exactly my preference. I like a soft memory foam earpad, not a super firm normal foam earpad. The velour though was very nice. I was surprised it wasn't the lint magnet I was expecting it to be as black velour tends to be a lint/hair magnet.

The sound was a bit boring to me. Mids were clear and preset, nothing emphasized. Treble was clear, preset, and only slightly rolled off. Very nice mids and treble. The bass was anemic. I mean it was there, but nothing punchy at all. Bass sounded technical without being fun. I didn't hear any veil or extra warmth at all. The bass is on par with my m560 stock. Both are very anemic to me with bass. Neither are rolled off on bass, just that bass is very quiet and recessed to the background. EQing the HD6xx had the same response as the m560. Both could take nice levels of eqing on the bass without distortion to bring the listening experience up to nice levels.

My other real problem with the sound was the ho-hum sound stage. It was there, but just barely outside my head.Imaging was good, but sound stage was nothing compared to a few other cans I have with direct A/B comparisons.

Mine came with a single ridiculously long janky cord though. The box was nice at least. Those are my impressions of the HD6XX. I found the Sennheiser HD206s to be better sounding in my opinion. I didn't find anything horrible with the HD6XX, just nothing to make fall in love with them over other options I have.

What did you have the HD6XX's plugged into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back