Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #39,556 of 46,527
the advantage for (sealed) IEMs is isolation. it's obviously a big deal, more so when other people are around, try going at a LAN with a hd650 ^_^. but that makes the drivers used in those IEMs almost exclusively BA. so for faster, clearer, I'd say dangerous generalization. just how those drivers tend to take a massive dive in the trebles seems to me like a strong argument against speed.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #39,557 of 46,527
the advantage for (sealed) IEMs is isolation. it's obviously a big deal, more so when other people are around, try going at a LAN with a hd650 ^_^. but that makes the drivers used in those IEMs almost exclusively BA. so for faster, clearer, I'd say dangerous generalization. just how those drivers tend to take a massive dive in the trebles seems to me like a strong argument against speed.

It's reaction time rather than how fast they can vibrate. You can see it in the impulse response how well cheap BA's IEM can keep up with headphones like the HD 800. Treble extension has nothing to do with it.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #39,558 of 46,527
Last Saturday I got to listen to the HD 650 driven by an ampsandsound Kenzie tube amp at an event at The Source AV and that was a really great combo. I know that the HD 650 loves tube amps but I thought that this pairing sounded especially good to my ears. The smooth musicality of the HD 650 was on full display and the sound was very engaging.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #39,559 of 46,527
So I got my Multibit and Vali 2 in ... and I am having some weird interference or noise problems.

Basicaly the only way I can describe what I am hearing is like a staticy, wave sound on certain things. Like for instance, on the system volume in windows 10, if I change the volume and it makes that "bing" noise, I get major wavy sounding static. it almost sounds what I think about when I think of derezzing in tron lol.

I hear it on songs too. One of which it is insanely noticeable at the beginning of Time by Hans Zimmer. When I plug the headphones into the motherboard directly, I do not have this issue at all. I also tried running the amp and dac through my macbook pro and had the same issue, as well as changing from USB to optical. Nothing has helped. So now I do not know what I should do to try and figure out what is causing it. Hopefully I did a decent job of explaining it, its very weird.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #39,560 of 46,527
So I got my Multibit and Vali 2 in ... and I am having some weird interference or noise problems.

Basicaly the only way I can describe what I am hearing is like a staticy, wave sound on certain things. Like for instance, on the system volume in windows 10, if I change the volume and it makes that "bing" noise, I get major wavy sounding static. it almost sounds what I think about when I think of derezzing in tron lol.

I hear it on songs too. One of which it is insanely noticeable at the beginning of Time by Hans Zimmer. When I plug the headphones into the motherboard directly, I do not have this issue at all. I also tried running the amp and dac through my macbook pro and had the same issue, as well as changing from USB to optical. Nothing has helped. So now I do not know what I should do to try and figure out what is causing it. Hopefully I did a decent job of explaining it, its very weird.
Do you have another amp to help isolate the problem? or try the RCA out of the Mimby to a receiver to rule out the Mimby being bad

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #39,561 of 46,527
Do you have another amp to help isolate the problem? or try the RCA out of the Mimby to a receiver to rule out the Mimby being bad
I agree with that and maybe pull the tube and reseat the tube. Maybe a bad tube. I get weird sounds on bad tubes.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #39,562 of 46,527
It's reaction time rather than how fast they can vibrate. You can see it in the impulse response how well cheap BA's IEM can keep up with headphones like the HD 800. Treble extension has nothing to do with it.
maybe you're interpreting strong damping as speed? BA drivers are indeed very damped. but in audio, treble extension has everything to do with speed or reaction time(well, treble and higher). it's obvious for a single sine wave as that's what defines its frequency, but it's exactly the same for some transient response. as an extreme example, low pass a square wave and look at that reaction time you talk about.

/!\ not that I think we need crazy high freqs at an audible level, I'm speaking objectively here. at an audible level I have no evidence that ultrasounds(or even trebles I fail to notice)serve any purpose at all in my listening experience.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #39,563 of 46,527
maybe you're interpreting strong damping as speed? BA drivers are indeed very damped. but in audio, treble extension has everything to do with speed or reaction time(well, treble and higher). it's obvious for a single sine wave as that's what defines its frequency, but it's exactly the same for some transient response. as an extreme example, low pass a square wave and look at that reaction time you talk about.

/!\ not that I think we need crazy high freqs at an audible level, I'm speaking objectively here. at an audible level I have no evidence that ultrasounds(or even trebles I fail to notice)serve any purpose at all in my listening experience.

Then how can subwoofer BA's which operate in a very small frequency window deliver very fast and tight bass, while those subwoofer BA drivers have 0 treble?

If treble extension is the measure of speed, then the bass would be slow and unclear on BA IEM's.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #39,564 of 46,527
the oxymoronic nature of fast bass goes too deep down the subjective rabbit hole for me. more than ever I believe that what you describe is probably related to the usually strong mechanical damping of BA drivers.
your initial post had this "harder better faster stronger" vibe leaving no place to doubt about IEMs. so I replied with a warning about generalization and a counterpoint. I don't think I've been saying anything wrong or controversial(in those 2 previous posts, on this topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^).

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #39,565 of 46,527
the oxymoronic nature of fast bass goes too deep down the subjective rabbit hole for me. more than ever I believe that what you describe is probably related to the usually strong mechanical damping of BA drivers.
your initial post had this "harder better faster stronger" vibe leaving no place to doubt about IEMs. so I replied with a warning about generalization and a counterpoint. I don't think I've been saying anything wrong or controversial(in those 2 previous posts, on this topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^).

Well, you claimed that treble is related to speed.

I can give other examples such as the Focal Utopia which is a darker headphone than the HD 800 S, yet it is faster.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #39,566 of 46,527
Well, you claimed that treble is related to speed.

I can give other examples such as the Focal Utopia which is a darker headphone than the HD 800 S, yet it is faster.
because that's how audio works(it even goes beyond audio). the ability to deliver high frequency is necessary to both fast transmission and fast signal. any fast change in amplitude, or movement, will contain components of high frequencies. remove the high freqs and you're left with a slower change of amplitude and slower movement.
let's stop this, we're way off topic and I don't have a clue what you're trying to say with your last example.
if you're not clear on what I mean, or you are and know I'm wrong(maybe I am after all), let's go discuss in a more specific way in a sound science topic.
I pinky swear I won't play supreme leader and get you executed if you contradict me. :wink:

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #39,567 of 46,527
because that's how audio works(it even goes beyond audio). the ability to deliver high frequency is necessary to both fast transmission and fast signal. any fast change in amplitude, or movement, will contain components of high frequencies. remove the high freqs and you're left with a slower change of amplitude and slower movement.
let's stop this, we're way off topic and I don't have a clue what you're trying to say with your last example.
if you're not clear on what I mean, or you are and know I'm wrong(maybe I am after all), let's go discuss in a more specific way in a sound science topic.
I pinky swear I won't play supreme leader and get you executed if you contradict me. :wink:

I agree to stop this, let's just agree to disagree :p

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #39,568 of 46,527

So I hooked up the multibit to my yamaha receiver and output to my floor speakers and got the exact same distortion I was experiencing on the PC with the HD650. Im waiting to hear back from schitt about what to do next.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #39,569 of 46,527
So I hooked up the multibit to my yamaha receiver and output to my floor speakers and got the exact same distortion I was experiencing on the PC with the HD650. Im waiting to hear back from schitt about what to do next.
Looks like an issue with the Mimby then. Did you try the Vali2 using the headphone output of your computer to the HD650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back