SENNHEISER HD650- Brighter replacement cable
Dec 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Raddler

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently purchased the senn hd 650's and i've been rather  pleased with them, but i do find them a little dark. I had heard about the sennheiser veil, but now i kinda understand what people were talking about. I just modded them with the defoaming procedure and it somewhat helped, however i would like to take it a step further with a replacement cable. Could you guys suggest me one that might be able to brighten up the top end? I run these straight out of my apogee duet, which i think ain't to bad at all for a dedicated souncard headphone amp. Any tips to brighten these things up would really be appreciated. This was a big purchase for me, so i'm trying to get the best out of them !!! also i really can't afford an expensive amp either.Thanks.

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the Headphile Blacksilver, one of the cheaper silver cables. It will NOT add treble, which is impossible (only a tone control can add treble) but it does clarify the sound giving the impression of a clearer, and thus brighter, sound. (The two are not unrelated, since once the strands of the sound are better separated and sorted you feel as if you don't need more brightness, that it won't add anything you haven't already got). However, even then the 650 remains a little rolled off in the extreme treble, and to combat that I bought a slightly brightish (and British) integrated amp, a Cambridge A340SE, which just happens to have tone controls that only affect the extreme frequencies, allowing me to add treble to those recordings that need it without interfering with the upper mids. I'm happy.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 7
Well thanx for the reply, that cambridge amp looks pretty, but it's kinda pricey for me. I heard the zu cable is good, gonna look into that. For now i'm just using a bit of eq'ing to energize the top end, works fairly well. I so wish they were a bit brighter however.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I can confirm from experience that the cardas cable upgrade did nothing to lift the veil.  That is why I ultimately upgraded to the HD 800.

Everything I've read suggests the Cardas cable is the right cable for the 600 but not 650. Which are you referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back