Sennheiser HD599 - first impressions.
Jul 11, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #80 of 144
Have you tried them?

They have pretty large width and depth to their soundstage, that not many headphones have. Especially at their price range.

Remind me of listening to near field monitor speakers intead of usual cans.

And to someone that listens to headphones 8 hours per day, like myself, this is a plus.

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #81 of 144
Have you tried them?

They have pretty large width and depth to their soundstage, that not many headphones have. Especially at their price range.

And to someone that listens to headphones 8 hours per day, like myself, this is a plus.

You should seriously try the HD700 if you like a soundstage like that. They have a lot of similarities. I've extensively tried nearly the entire sennheiser lineup (and owned half of it) and soundstage is critically important to me as well. I've found the overall best balanced headphones in the lineup are the HD820 and the HD700, both of which have epic soundstages. HD800 has biggest soundstage but is lacking in other areas. Only problem is the HD700 used to be available new for $400-$450 and now its a lot more than that since out of production.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #83 of 144
You should seriously try the HD700 if you like a soundstage like that.
what about the HD660s? Since you have onwed so many Sennheisers, I would love to hear your views of the HD660s, not only soundstage but all the general performance of those cans. I love the HD599 and I was thinking about getting the HD660s, maybe for Black Friday, who knows! How do the two compare? Do you think it is a worthy upgrade?

Jul 12, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #84 of 144
Have you tried them?

I have these hd599.My Sony closed mdr1am2 are a lot better in soundstage.

Jul 13, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #86 of 144
OK.
Nobody claims that the HD599 have the absolute best.

What types of music do you usually play on these?

I Play all genres of music.It depends also witch Dap That i use.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #87 of 144
what about the HD660s? Since you have onwed so many Sennheisers, I would love to hear your views of the HD660s, not only soundstage but all the general performance of those cans. I love the HD599 and I was thinking about getting the HD660s, maybe for Black Friday, who knows! How do the two compare? Do you think it is a worthy upgrade?

Hi,
The HD660 I actually have not heard but I have heard other models in the HD6xx line and based upon the reports of people on the HD660 on how they compare I would not expect the HD660 as a notable soundstage upgrade (perhaps even a slight downgrade if its like the other HD6xx series). I can't speak on the other elements though as i haven't personally heard the HD660. Overall after hearing the HD7xx-HD8xx its hard not to be unimpressed with the HD6xx sound signature if you value soundstage.

The Sennheiser headphones I've owned or heard that had a truly large upgrade in soundstage from the HD6xx and below models are the following:
* HD700 (purchased new for $420, still own, 4th widest soundstage of this list)
* HD800 (purchased new for $1075, sold due to fatiguing sound & lack of bass, though this one has the widest soundstage of this list)
* HD800S (heard in sennheiser store a/b for some time vs hd800 on sennheiser HPA, not enough difference to buy after HD800 disappointment, 2nd widest soundstage of list)
* HD820 (purchased new for $1900, still own, 3rd widest soundstage of this list)

Of the above, the ones I bolded are the ones I felt offered the best overall sound and value for the money and hence why I bought them & still own them :). All of them offer shockingly larger soundstage and IMO as a result more "realistic" sound compared to virtually every other Sennheiser model that exists.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #88 of 144
The Sennheiser headphones I've owned or heard that had a truly large upgrade in soundstage from the HD6xx and below models are the following:..
* HD700 (purchased new for $420, still own, 4th widest soundstage of this list)
* HD820 (purchased new for $1900, still own, 3rd widest soundstage of this list)

Of the above, the ones I bolded are the ones I felt offered the best overall sound and value for the money and hence why I bought them & still own them :). All of them offer shockingly larger soundstage and IMO as a result more "realistic" sound compared to virtually every other Sennheiser model that exists.

Many thanks for the detailed answer ruinedx. I am afraid it is very difficult to find the 700 nowadays in my country. Also the second hand market, unless you know the source...The 820 are out of my league I’m afraid 😱. The 660s I am afraid will be too similar to the 599 to make to make it worth it from what you say. Hopefully I will be able to hear them before taking any decision. Thanks again.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #89 of 144
Many thanks for the detailed answer ruinedx. I am afraid it is very difficult to find the 700 nowadays in my country. Also the second hand market, unless you know the source...The 820 are out of my league I’m afraid 😱. The 660s I am afraid will be too similar to the 599 to make to make it worth it from what you say. Hopefully I will be able to hear them before taking any decision. Thanks again.
It may be an upgrade in other areas but I wouldn't count on soundstage if that is very important to you

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #90 of 144
Actually, out of the HD6xx series, a reasonable option in regards to better sound-stage and overall value would probably be the HD6XX from Massdrop.
It's probably better, even marginally, in terms of sound-stage and sound profile compared to the standard HD600.
But again, might not be worth the move if you're only after an improved sound-stage over the HD599.

Also, it depends what music you'll be mostly playing.
In my view, good recordings of most pre-90s music (especially 60s-70s stuff) can be a better match for the HD599 (straight, without any EQ).
For 60s-70s blues/soul/funk and classic rock in particular, width and depth of sound-stage are a serious bonus.
With music like that, the HD599 can offer a more realistic rendition with a better sense of flow or 'musicality'.
Again, always compared to the reference-standard HD600, without EQ.
More or less, I find the humble HD599 performing closer to a set of near-field speakers in that aspect.

Apart from the aforementioned HD6XX/HD650, other possible alternatives that might offer a similar rendition and hopefully an improvement in those areas, could be the Audio Technica ATH-R70X, the AKG 712 Pro and possibly a candidate that i don't see discussed very often, the Shure SRH1440.

Any HD599 owners out there, fortunate to have any of the above pairs in their collections please feel free to add your own experiences.
It'll be appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back