Sennheiser HD599 - first impressions.
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #137 of 141
Guess it depends on what pair will you get. I went through 5 pairs of these and there are basically two types of tunning - one with wide soundstage, but somewhat boomy looser mellow bass almost identical headphone to 598 with same level of midbass hump I guess metal got that one based on his thoughts and YouTube review. The other type has more aggresive sound, less midbass hump, more dynamics, tighter more impactful bass kick, but a bit narrower soundstage. First one is like sennheiser oldschool 5 series lineup, while the other is more in trend with 58X and 660S. Which one you prefer and if you wanna play a lottery ticket is totally up to you, but if you get one and not be fully satisfied get at least one replacement to compare.
I've finally got my hd 599 and I'm very happy with them.I've been following this thread for a while and I know that there was discussion about different tunings of this model and mine are definitely one of two described tunings - the more agressive one and the treble is definitely there but the soundstage is quite big and spacial - it's excellent for gaming.Bass is great - punchy , impactful.It's more similar to my dt 990 pro than hd 555 which are 13 years old and still working :D I'm really surprised with that bass - it's one thing that really makes this headphones great along with other things which are typical for sennheiser house sound like excellent midrange and overall very neutral presentation.This beast is just a little bit different and it's just great :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #138 of 141
The different tuning of models could explain something: My HD599 SE sounds fantastic, remind you that I have listened to gear above 1000e mark(Arya, DianaV2, Elite to name a few) and was genuinly suprised when I plugged these in.
I have no issues with trebel or bass with my unit and midrange is also excellent. But I also am running these using my Vio stack, which does make these shine.
When plugged to pc vocals are slightly thin, soundstage is smaller and bass quality decreases. It's not that bad tough, but enough for me not to listen longer.
HP:s in this price range should not be affected by gear so much, there is no sense using 2000k source to power sub 100e hp:s.

These obviously dont have the detail, imaging or soundstage of the more expensive stuff, but dam these sound good.

"These are giant killers and can compete with 1000e headphones" - No, but one can enjoy these a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #139 of 141
These are giant killers and can compete with 1000e headphones" - No, but one can enjoy these a lot.
Couldn't have said it any better, and I do enjoy mine a lot on the occasions I switch off from better headphones. For the longest time they were paired with a Qudelix K5 and my morning coffee. Why? They are by far the most comfortable pair of headphones I own, and sound way, way better than their paltry price indicates! I hear the water boiling....

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #140 of 141
Feed them warmth and body and power. Then, yeah, you never look back. You just keep coming back for more.

I'm not sure about these different tunings though... mine seems like a cross between those two descriptions lol. I need to see some physical evidence before I believe in a silent revision. Too many different ears and setups out there; people get confused.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #141 of 141
Feed them warmth and body and power. Then, yeah, you never look back. You just keep coming back for more.

I'm not sure about these different tunings though... mine seems like a cross between those two descriptions lol. I need to see some physical evidence before I believe in a silent revision. Too many different ears and setups out there; people get confused.
Yea, could be a setup thing also:point_up_2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back