Sennheiser HD598- recable, single sided, balanced
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 28
Just did this mod and it works great! Used a Sennheiser replacement cable and the same male 4-pin XLR connector used in the guide.

Cable: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--hd-518--hd-558--hd-598--headphone-cable
Male 4-pin XLR: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EDO2K0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 28
You can approach any of the prolific cable makers online and have them make one for you.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 28
I just cant find the 2.5mm connector with 4pins for soldering

I wanted to do it too but...
- I don't want to ruin the original cable.
- TRS connector is more then enoth for this headphones.
- I wanted to order another TRS cable but again, I do not like to ruin things.

I found this one one ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Trrs...913037?hash=item3b03170e0d:g:B~MAAOSwJvpalRBQ
And he sold me for +5$ addition, 2M cable with XLR connector:
s-l1600.jpg

so, for me its the only option. I logically don't want to order an original cable and ruin it

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #22 of 28
I just cant find the 2.5mm connector with 4pins for soldering

I wanted to do it too but...
- I don't want to ruin the original cable.
- TRS connector is more then enoth for this headphones.
- I wanted to order another TRS cable but again, I do not like to ruin things.

I found this one one ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5mm-Trrs...913037?hash=item3b03170e0d:g:B~MAAOSwJvpalRBQ
And he sold me for +5$ addition, 2M cable with XLR connector:
s-l1600.jpg

so, for me its the only option. I logically don't want to order an original cable and ruin it

Hi, does this readymade cable work?

Aug 6, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #23 of 28
I bought that cable to use with my Sennheiser 598 Cs and a set of DIY cans I built from scratch. I wanted to use them with the balanced output on my FiiO Q1 Mark II.

My non-scientific impressions were that the bass in both sets of headphones sounded fuller. Maybe the bass frequencies sounded better (total speculation) because the balanced outputs on the Q1 are higher powered and the amplifier didn’t have to work as hard in that end of the frequency spectrum. Listened to Massive Attack/John Coltrane/Pantera/a-ha/Metallica to test them out.

Edit: the cable does have some annoying microphonics due to the stiffer wire.

John
];’)

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 28
Hi, does this readymade cable work?
For today I not reccomend it!
The sound is less smoother then the original cable.

I bought that cable to use with my Sennheiser 598 Cs and a set of DIY cans I built from scratch. I wanted to use them with the balanced output on my FiiO Q1 Mark II.

My non-scientific impressions were that the bass in both sets of headphones sounded fuller. Maybe the bass frequencies sounded better (total speculation) because the balanced outputs on the Q1 are higher powered and the amplifier didn’t have to work as hard in that end of the frequency spectrum. Listened to Massive Attack/John Coltrane/Pantera/a-ha/Metallica to test them out.

Edit: the cable does have some annoying microphonics due to the stiffer wire.

John
];’)
Can you send some pictures of the DIY cans ?

Sorry to say that, but I start to disslike this headphones sound

Oct 30, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 28
After opening up the cups and fiddling around with a multimeter on the cable and drivers, I've got the following:

T - left+ (white wire)
R - right+ (red wire)
R - left- (black wire)
S - right- (blue wire)

Radsone ES100 2.5 mm balanced out has

T - Right-
R - Right+
R - Left+
S - Left-

I imagine that a cable that could be used to connect these two, HD598 to ES100, does not exist, and would have to be custom made? :D

IF I have understood correctly.. this post claims that the 2.5 mm TRRS jack on (HD598CS) headphone end works quite differently? Or could HD598 and HD598CS have different wiring..

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 28
Yeah you'd probably need a custom cable to use the radstone.

That other post you linked is probably referring to the 3.5mm TRRS end of a cable with a mic. The 2.5mm TRRS end that goes into the cup is probably different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back