Sennheiser HD598- recable, single sided, balanced
May 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
So I got these in a trade and literally had them less than an hour before deciding I needed to make a balanced cable for them.

First up, I had to figure out the wiring. The plug that goes into the left cup is a 2.5mm TRRS. Hmm ok, that hopefully means it's a 4 wire cable already so I can just hack the stock cable. I found this (link) which confirmed it, so choppity chop went the cable.

After opening up the cups and fiddling around with a multimeter on the cable and drivers, I've got the following:

T - left+ (white wire)
R - right+ (red wire)
R - left- (black wire)
S - right- (blue wire)

The circuit board is labeled but very difficult to see. I sketched it out on paper with labels.

strip those ends (26 gauge)

Connect to a 4-pin XLR(m)
pin 1 = left+ (white)
pin 2 = left- (black)
pin 3 = right+ (red)
pin 4 = right- (blue)

Slap some heat shink on there since it's too skinny to be gripped properly by the cable clamp. I used 4 layers.

Here we go...

And done. Plugged into Nuforce HA-200 monoblocks.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 28
It satisfied my audiophile urges for wanting to work in balanced mode, and opened up the option for a greater variety of amps.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 28
Awesome, glad it worked out for you. Next it'll be time to upgrade the headpdhone...

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 28
Please tell me you're at least running speakers off the Rag. It's a bit overkill for the 598's...

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 28
Please tell me you're at least running speakers off the Rag. It's a bit overkill for the 598's...

Yes I'm using it to power Elac Unifi UB5's. I'm thinking that my next purchase will be a decent sub. The UB5's do have impressive bass though but I need a bit more for the deep rumble in movies.

Out of interest what headphone would you pair with the Ragnarok?

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 28
Yes I'm using it to power Elac Unifi UB5's. I'm thinking that my next purchase will be a decent sub. The UB5's do have impressive bass though but I need a bit more for the deep rumble in movies.

Out of interest what headphone would you pair with the Ragnarok?

Oh there's plenty of choices. If you like the HD598, then the obvious step up is the HD600/650. Or you can start dipping your toes into the planar realm, but therein lies madness
blink.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 28
  So both the left and right negative connections are 100% separate from each cup's speaker all the way until the end of the cable at the 6.25mm connector?

Yep, it's a 4-wire cable.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 28
In my first pic you can see my bad sketch of the circuit board traces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back