Sennheiser HD598 or Grado SR225e
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #16 of 24

meringo, quick question on the comfort of the Q701?  Better than the SR225e?  I was looking at the Q701 since I've seen the price drop to $160 but many say that the head band is not the greatest for comfort.  My SR225e is far down on the comfort list of the head phones that I currently own, third to last of 21.  Top comfort is the HD-700 followed by the X1, HD-598, SRH-1840, HE-560/400i, Modified HE-400, LCD2.2f, MRD1A, M50x, M50s (shure pads), L1, MDR-7506 (Beyer pads), Momentum over-ear, Momentum on-ear, V-Moda XS, and Grado RS2e.  Only ones worse are STAX SR-30 (really old pads that I need to change), HD-455 (also really old and need replacement) and HD-239 (just too tight and plastic so can't bend).  I have the Grado RS2e ahead since it seems to fit a little better than the SR-225e even if it uses the same pads, maybe I just need to adjust the head band clamping pressure/shape.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #17 of 24
To me, the Q701 are much more comfortable. I am bothered far more by clamping and pressure to the ears than the bump problem. You can bend the SR-225E headband, which certainly helps, but does not eliminate since they rest on your ears instead of around the ear. I also hear that the bump on the Q701 will soften over time - I look forward to it. It actually makes me sad since I generally prefer the Grados and live in NYC where they are made. Unfortunately I can't afford to keep both and have to go with the lesser of two evils. THe Q701 do in fact have a wider soundstage, and offer much more comfort overall. 

Speaking of which, anyone want some SR-225E? Check ebay... it's currently the only listing. They are easily the best sounding headphones under $300.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 24
Having used (my friend's) K701/K702/Q701 I can say that even with time the bumps will not soften and that's a major source of discomfort. What he did do, though, was to wrap around the bumps with some sort of cloths, put some cloth in between the bumps as well. It certainly helped, but did not look great.
For Grados bending the headbands will increase the comfort (from "unbearable" to "3 hours straight without discomfort"), but again they're on ears and can never reach the same level of comfort as over-ears. Honestly, bending the headbands mean everything regarding "Grado comfort", provided you're not afraid to wreck the headband (you won't, so just bend it like Beckham). One thing though, is that in summer my Grados was cooler than my HD598s. 
For your setup, meringo, I don't think you're driving your Q701 to its fullest. The 701 lines (all 3 of them) are quite amp-picky. Sure the impedance is not too high, but the cans' sensitivity is rather low. Synergy is another matter. IMO none of the 3 are as musical as Grados, so I didn't like them with my O2/ODAC setup - which is one of the most popular and well-regarded setups on head-fi.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #20 of 24

I don't have a ton of experience with different amps, but can say as a sound enthusiest that my sound card drives these nicely. Do you have any experience with the SBZ? It utilizes the CS4398 dac, which is pretty good for a sound card, and the power from the 600ohm amp is clean and plentiful. They sound way better than using the Fiio E6 and/or mixamp - which admittedly, was expected. I think people tend to reject sound cards before looking at the tech or listening to them... not trying to troll, but throwing out a general observation. 

Also an update regarding the bumps.... idk why, but I'm noticing them far less. I do have a full head of hair, so maybe it's just how flat or fluffy my hair is on any given day. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 24
Hi lehoang15tuoi, what are the recommend amps for the Q701/K701?  I have one modi/magni setup, a bifrost/lyr2/asgard2 setup, a VX1, a Teac AH01 and two sound cards, Xonar DG and STX.  I was looking at Woo WA7, Little Dot+ with different tubes, or Oppo HA-1.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 24
   I think people tend to reject sound cards before looking at the tech or listening to them... not trying to troll, but throwing out a general observation. 

Well to be honest I have never tried your soundcard, so yep I might have been wrong. And I do have this symptom, will try to keep a more open mind in the future :) Cheers

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #23 of 24
To @DavidA
The big Schitts will do it. the WA7 will too. I never tried the HA1 with the Q701 , but I think it will do well, at least in term of powers. The LD I+ won't, since it's a hybrid designed for low-impedance cans. The Magni won't do either, from a technical standpoint. I tried both of these 2 with the Q701, and I didn't like it.
Anyway, my taste is that I'd go for something more musical, that's why out of the 3, I used the Q701 the most. That said, I'd go with the K601 or K612 any moment, rather than spending anything on the 70x. Anyway, I won't use them with any DAC/amp that is "too accurate" like the EMU or O2/ODAC. My friend had a custom amp that cost around $300, and the Q701 was so dry when plugged into that amp that I can't stand 10 minutes of it.
Actually, with your line up, it won't hurt to try the Q701/K701 with all the amp you've got (and wanting to buy). The point here is that, Grados and AKGs are too different. It's not like you're asking whether to get a Dell or a HP, you're asking whether to get a Dell or a Mac. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 24
  To @DavidA
The big Schitts will do it. the WA7 will too. I never tried the HA1 with the Q701 , but I think it will do well, at least in term of powers. The LD I+ won't, since it's a hybrid designed for low-impedance cans. The Magni won't do either, from a technical standpoint. I tried both of these 2 with the Q701, and I didn't like it.
Anyway, my taste is that I'd go for something more musical, that's why out of the 3, I used the Q701 the most. That said, I'd go with the K601 or K612 any moment, rather than spending anything on the 70x. Anyway, I won't use them with any DAC/amp that is "too accurate" like the EMU or O2/ODAC. My friend had a custom amp that cost around $300, and the Q701 was so dry when plugged into that amp that I can't stand 10 minutes of it.
Actually, with your line up, it won't hurt to try the Q701/K701 with all the amp you've got (and wanting to buy). The point here is that, Grados and AKGs are too different. It's not like you're asking whether to get a Dell or a HP, you're asking whether to get a Dell or a Mac. 

love the analogy between "dell or mac" since I'm on the windows side of the windows vs mac war.  Long story short, I've been able to listen to a Q701 and K712, loved the wide open sound stage but the highs are really harsh.  Also the ear pads aren't the most comfortable so going to pass on AKG for now.  Thanks for the info...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back