Sennheiser HD598 > HD650 ?
Apr 2, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #16 of 30
Now you've got me all curious about the HD650.  I've recently unboxed my first set of headphones, the HD598, "for everything" which I settled upon after much "research". I suppose the best way to decide is really to try them out at your local audio dealer which I didn't get to.  I do like it but would be nice to have pure "blacksound" as a backdrop.  With the HD598 there is a bit of "atmosphere".  Am curious why you sold your K702 - that's my next pair to trial. I must now add the HD650 out of curiousity.  I guess the manufacturers keep the holy grail is for the perfect hp alive by making them perfect "in part" and not "as a whole" - so we end up with multiple pairs or continue the chase.   Wish I could give you that comparison.  Time for  a visit to that audio shop.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #17 of 30
I have a HD595 which is similar to the '598. The HD650 initially sounded a little lacking in detail by comparison but with careful listening to stuff I'd listened to a lot on the '595 I realized there was actually more detail but it was just presented more smoothly and evenly.

If there's any advantage to be had with the HD595/HD598 over the HD650 it would be bringing vocals especially female vocals, and certain featured intruments like electric guitars and violins forward in the mix by accentuating the "presence" frequencies. My ears interpret that more as a lack of proper balance but I think some people really dig it. That's the only way in which the HD650 is not clearly superior across the board, as you'd expect for a more than 2:1 difference in price.

I don't personally feel that Sennheiser or the industry has a whole has much left to hold out on me. If the HD650 isn't perfect for my listening I have trouble imagine what would be.

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 30
I'm sure manufacturers don't do this on purpose, headphones are simply limited/imperfect. I do think the HD 650's are harder to appreciate than most headphones because of their smoothness, but now that I've been using them for a long time I could never settle for mid-fi.

May 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #20 of 30
I just wanted to update you guys. I have sold the HD650's and I got the HD598's. I am very happy with my purchase, and I don't regret it.

I guess one can say that sound is indeed subjective. 

May 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #22 of 30

Quote:
I just wanted to update you guys. I have sold the HD650's and I got the HD598's. I am very happy with my purchase, and I don't regret it.

I guess one can say that sound is indeed subjective. 

That's good that you found something you like.

One thing I don't understand is why you didn't consider the HD600.  A few comparisons between that one and the HD598 here, and I seem to recall that most people preferred the HD600:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548201/sennheiser-hd598-or-600

May 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:

That's good that you found something you like.

One thing I don't understand is why you didn't consider the HD600.  A few comparisons between that one and the HD598 here, and I seem to recall that most people preferred the HD600:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548201/sennheiser-hd598-or-600

I think actually 3 people there preferred the HD600 and 3 preferred the HD598. 1 didn't have the HD600 yet and he seems to prefer bright headphones.

The reason is that the 3 people that didn't like the HD598 wanted more bass or didn't like the midrange congestion. Now, I have never heard a dynamic headphone reproduce midrange as balanced as the HD598 without congestion. I suppose it's a limit to dynamic driver technology. Either way, I definitely found the HD598 to sound more natural and spacious. It could use more bass impact, but the bass is definitely audible.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #25 of 30
Some people just have bad taste.

just kidding.

I like the HD650 more than HD800, just more of my style.
How could you possibly like hd650 more than hd 800. Hd 650 sounds like the 90s. Bassy, mid focused, more thick sounding. Made for music in that era. While hd 800 sound open,wide , clean treble,more modern. Made for modern music.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 30
I find similar impressions regarding 599 vs 58X and 650. HD599 is not the most resolving, but I prefer them the most since they've got the biggest soundstage - it's like the mix of best worlds width from 598 and depth from 650, and punch the most at the same time integrating microdetail retrival almost at the same level as HD6-series. The latter can be better with some amps (again more resolving) and specific types of music, but to me 599 is the most versitile and well-rounded. They fixed everything people were complaining with 598, which were distortions at high volume and wide but tunnell-like soundstage. Again 599 is at the same time wide, but this time incorporating that "3D blob" effect from HD6-series. This particular feature along with improved bass kick made for me HD6-series absolete. It's comical how similar they are and how big of a price difference there is. HD599 are frequently dropped to 99$, while 600, 650, and now 660 are triple and even more the price. Not to mention HD500 rule them all in comfort department and quality of materials used, especially compared to massdrop releases. HD58X is a joke having driver derived from HD5-series, but with HD6 tunung. And for the worst, because they don't resolve as others HD6 do.

Having said that... I have to warn people to be careful about sennheisers as quality control is very inconsistent so the unit variation is high. I've had 5 units of 599 and came to the conclusion there's basically two sound signatures - one being more aggresive, better bass impact, darker tonality, and the other less bass, flatter boring tonality. Since i prefer more dramatic approach I stick to that one. If you buy one and don't like it, please order replecement. Maybe you will get a pair with tuning I fell in love with and stopped thinikg of going back to any of the HD6-series.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #27 of 30
I have also the hd599.Wide soundstage?The soundstage of my closedback Sony mdr1am2 is greater.Also detail wise is the 599 crap.I have no good word for the 599.

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #28 of 30
Like I said maybe you got a unit with bad tuning? Did you try replacing it with a different pair? Dunno about Sony's M2, but I had 1A's and although they presented wide soundstage (impressive for closed backs) but it was same story as 598's, which was wide, but tunnel-like. HD599 may be a tad narrower, but much open and thanks to better depth resulting with more air and much better spacial awereness. Sony's have more rumbling bass, but the kick is much stronger with 599's without flooding other frequencies. They are also much better with detail retrieval and vocal presentation. Sony have fun balance, while senn's are much more audiophile amd scale better with amps and dacs at least to my liking.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #29 of 30
Like I said maybe you got a unit with bad tuning? Did you try replacing it with a different pair? Dunno about Sony's M2, but I had 1A's and although they presented wide soundstage (impressive for closed backs) but it was same story as 598's, which was wide, but tunnel-like. HD599 may be a tad narrower, but much open and thanks to better depth resulting with more air and much better spacial awereness. Sony's have more rumbling bass, but the kick is much stronger with 599's without flooding other frequencies. They are also much better with detail retrieval and vocal presentation. Sony have fun balance, while senn's are much more audiophile amd scale better with amps and dacs at least to my liking.

My hd 6xx seems odd sounding . Conjested and veiled. No details. No seperation. No soundstage. Do you think i got a bad unit. Should i get a replacement. Does Senn cans differ that much between units.

Dec 23, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #30 of 30
My hd 6xx seems odd sounding . Conjested and veiled. No details. No seperation. No soundstage. Do you think i got a bad unit. Should i get a replacement.
Definetly. Maybe try to listen to a differnt pair at store and compare to your pair. Don't know about massdrop replacement policy. Maybe it's best to just return them and buy a new pair after few weeks from a different batch.

Does Senn cans differ that much between units.
Unfortunately YES...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back