Sennheiser HD598 - Fostex T50RP - Sony XB700 - Ultrasones? CANT DECIDE
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

recepky

New Head-Fier
hi friends,

I am about to buy my first mid-fi quality hp, I didnt use before any mid-fi range hp, but I listen a demo in a store, Sennheisers hd439 - hd449 didnt like, and I listen sennheiser hd598 - hd558 with a very good equipment setup and source was the sennheisers demo vinyl. I couldnt really impressed with these too.

Actually I am using a stereo speaker system in my room, technics suv620 stereo amp-bose401s-definitive technology prosub800. I am very happy with the bose401s sound signature, natural energetic, very large soundstage, good imaging, and sometimes couldnt recognize where the sound comes from. 

SO, I want a headphone with a good soundstage and imaging(specially for gaming and movies), good bass, natural and detailed sound.

Sennheisers sounds like a bit bright to me, and I feel I am in a studio and listening the music from studio monitors. 

I am using Soundmagic PL50 armature headphones for portable music, I am very happy with them, but some +bass over PL50 will be the headphone I ever wanted.

I always cant decide quick, please help, I made a list, but it is not that much important, you can advice freely.

- Sony XB700 ( I like bass)
- Fostex t50rp - ( is this sounds like sounmagicPL50? )
- Sennheiser HD598 ( this have soundstage )
- Ultrasones? (s-logic?)

I need serious help friends. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Those headphones you listed there are all utterly different. :p  Can't really compare any of them.  I wouldn't recommend the T50RP unless you want to mod it and have an amp.  The 598 has good imaging and it sounds nice and open, it's also rather comfortable.  The XB700s probably shouldn't even be on your list, they're pretty much just fun basshead headphones, wouldn't really call them mid-fi.  I think Mal above me has the right idea with his suggestions though, I'd look into those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back