Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac
Sep 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #16 of 27

While it's true that more expensive amp do squeeze out more SQ, the FiiO lineup is good for starters. And what you think as "plenty of bass" may mean "no bass at all" to others.

I'm actually convinced that my portable Fiio 11 is a very good product with an incredible quality for its price: I would only mean that amp affects more than simply loudness of the sound, like many think.
What has surprised me more of Asgard is the "air" it added between instruments in music playing. I'm not an expert audiophile, I don't know how to say it, but every music genre sounds better now, has more life in it and I don't think is just suggestion.
Maybe as you say my perception of bass is exaggerated, but what I like of HD 598 is their balance.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
I'm actually convinced that my portable Fiio 11 is a very good product with an incredible quality for its price: I would only mean that amp affects more than simply loudness of the sound, like many think.
What has surprised me more of Asgard is the "air" it added between instruments in music playing. I'm not an expert audiophile, I don't know how to say it, but every music genre sounds better now, has more life in it and I don't think is just suggestion.
Maybe as you say my perception of bass is exaggerated, but what I like of HD 598 is their balance.

To be perfectly honest my experience and opinion is the exact same as yours. I haven't heard the Asgard but I can imagine what you mean, as Asgard is considered to be an "airy" amp. And don't worry I'm sure everyone knows amp doesn't merely increase loudness.

Of course, the HD598 is balanced, but saying it has "plenty of bass" maybe misleading to those who haven't heard them. 
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 27
I also own the HD598 and as for being balanced I agree. Sound is good but I find they are bass shy. I have a much older model, HD570 that for me have a much fuller sound.sound. The HD570 never did get good reviews as far as I know. The HD598 are comfortable and I do enjoy them. I have tried neither amps. So I cannot comment on how they sound. I run all my phones through either a MP-301 or a Miniwatt with headphone adapter.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
While it's true that more expensive amp do squeeze out more SQ, the FiiO lineup is good for starters. And what you think as "plenty of bass" may mean "no bass at all" to others.

This is true. The HD-598 does have a good amount of bass (neutral), but it doesn't have much "rumble" which affects people's perception of bass quantity. People who listen to more mainstream music or bass-dedicated music will notice the difference easily. The amp does help extend the bass of the 598 and gives it more texture. EQing the bass is an option, though the 598 by design will never achieve the same level of rumble as many other headphones. But I have yet to hear a headphone that I liked more when it comes to the midrange, treble, or the soundstage. If you're a true bass fanatic, you'd be using speakers to reproduce bass anyways. Headphones can only emulate bass so much, considering the sound is transmitted only to the ears, not the whole body (body cavities  to be specific). 

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #20 of 27
If you ever are planning on getting another pair of cans, or don't intend on using the fiio as a portable unit for music on the move I would strongly recommend a desktop AMP/DAC setup (or maybe a combined unit) I did the mistake of buying the E17 thinking I would keep the HD 598, now i'm stuck with it til I actually get the money of buying a new DAC/AMP. (I don't use it for portable use, it's not worth the space it takes in my pockets!)

What's a good DAC/amp combo that isn't necessarily portable but also affordable like the E17 that can help boost the bass of my 598s? I want to get a bit more bass out of my music but my experience with basshead cans (M100s) has been less than great. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

What's a good DAC/amp combo that isn't necessarily portable but also affordable like the E17 that can help boost the bass of my 598s? I want to get a bit more bass out of my music but my experience with basshead cans (M100s) has been less than great. 

The 598's are not meant for bass. I suggest trying another basshead headphone (besides the V-moda, if you had a bad experience)

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 27
i have both E17 and HD598. i say this with experience. e17 is not a bad DAC/AMP combo, especially if you consider it's portable factor. HOWEVER!.... e17 is pretty shy on the bass side. so if you're already have a bass shy cann the E17 will only make it even more shy. in comparison, you'll have to bump the bass setting up by +4 or +6 to equate itself to other amps. if you don't mind bumping the bass then it's fine. but i personally don't like eq. imo equipments should sound its best out of the box, one shouldn't have to eq it for it to sound better. 

if you have a pair of canns that's particularly bright and cold, the treble feature is also nice, it allows you to tame it down. 

the e17 is good for certain headphone, and certain situations. i choose to use it for my ATH AD700, which is naturally weak on the mid and shy on bass. the e17 is very strong on mid, and brings a bit more depth to the soundstage. the AD700 has lots of width, but lacks width. i am using +6 to bass on the e17 with my AD700, and +2 on the mid to bring out more mid on the AD700. it's now a perfect combination for my official Office setup combo. 

i personally don't think e17 goes well with HD598. 598 is very strong on the mid, the e17 just makes it even brighter. 

one thing you need to know about e17 is its bass, although it's more shy, but it's tighter. you'll notice once you bump it up. that can be good OR bad depends on your taste, and the type of music you listen to. the e17 is by far the tightest and quickest bass i've personally experienced. i don't dislike it and i don't hate it, but some might. 

based on my setup and experience, i think the e17 goes better with my AD700 than it does with 598. i choose to use my 598 with my Xonar Essence STX, which is a godsend. the Burr-Brown ship, Ti amp and JRC op-amp really brings out the three deimensional feel and doubled the soundstage. the soundstage in this setup is ENORMOUSE. the bass isn't too tight, it's just right with the right amount of roll-off. 

one thing you should know about HD598 is that although it's official published spec is 50ohms. in reality, it's got a funky impedance graph. it actually fluctuates from 64~250. so whatever setup you get, definitely choose the higher amp setting. i am using the +12db (64~300ohm) setting on my Xonar and it really brings out the dynamic range of the phone. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 27
i personally do not like fiio products i have an E11 and have been dissapointed so far. for the hd598 i reccomend looking at tube amps the hifiman EF2A is a good tube amp and is has a dac in it though i have heard it is not the best. the littledot mk1+ and mk2 are all respected tubes around your budget. for 224 i cannot recommend the benalli HA540 enough, it is wonderfull.

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #25 of 27
i would at least get a DacPort from CEntrance. it's a lot more expensive than the Fiio products, but you get what you pay for. i've tried it on my HD598, which i have long sold it by now (rocking a HD800 S right now). i would put the Dacport leagues and bounds ahead of all the Fiio products. with Fiio products, at least you're getting clean signals and decent noise floor. but still lacking resolution and depth. Dacport has a much better depth. 

my 2c
ymmv

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #27 of 27
I realise it's DIY (although there's a link to people who can solder it), but AMB's y1.5 DAC/amp sounds very very good with HD598. Black background, clean but warm thanks to Wolfson DAC chip, tight, a lot of resolution and a surprising big amount of bass. Excellent combo. 
Compared to the higher end gear at my desk (HD700, Crack, ...), it's a steal for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back