Sennheiser HD595s...a Newbies First Post
Sep 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Chairman Meow

New Head-Fier
Hello there. I usually listen to my music via my 595s plugged straight into either my Creative Zen or my HTC Desire. I don't have a headphone amp but I own a NAD 3020i...remember those?!

Anyways what I wanted to know is would the music sound better with either device plugged into the NAD first?

Many thanks. 

Toby

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 11
No way to tell if you don't test it out yourself.
tongue.gif

Headphone amps generally will help out the HD5xx series.

But it won't help much, just a small amount.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
So would anyone care to answer my original question?

Alright, as long as you have it plugged in and pushing power to the headphone out, it should push them without a problem. Might even overdrive it, who knows. That's why I said you'd need to test it out. It's hard enough to find someone with the same headphone amp around here, let alone a vintage one.

The HD5xx series need a small amount of power, but some people just make due.

So to answer your question, no, yes.

I had to do a little research online to learn it has a headphone out. So as long as your cables are clean and the internals of the amp are fine, then they would power them fine. On the sound quality, that's up to your ears.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't get it. Everyone here says that using a headphone amp makes for a better sound so I'm assuming that going through my NAD would improve matters?

The NAD 3020i isnt a headphone amp. I'm just confused as to if I should use it or not. My 595s have plenty volume just plugged straight into my sources...I just want to know if the sound quality will improve if I go through my NAD first?

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I don't get it. Everyone here says that using a headphone amp makes for a better sound so I'm assuming that going through my NAD would improve matters?

The NAD 3020i isnt a headphone amp. I'm just confused as to if I should use it or not. My 595s have plenty volume just plugged straight into my sources...I just want to know if the sound quality will improve if I go through my NAD first?

No one here says a amp would mean better sound. Some headphones need a little more power to be able to sound good. It's not breaking the limit, but meeting the requirements of the headphones.

That is a headphone amp, it's nothing other then a amp that powers headphones and speakers.

And the amount of power that the headphone needs is up to your source. It might provide enough power to the headphones.

That's why I said to test it out and see. If it doesn't improve the sound, it's not worth plugging in.

Now I have a receiver I've modded, to give more power. I use to for all my headphones because it's closer to me then my desktop. It doesn't give me BETTER sound but allows for a little play. Some or most headphone profit from a amp, but it's a very, very small difference. Unless your job depends on your equipment, don't bother trying to upgrade.

Why might help you is a DAC. Digital audio converter. It pretty much convert digital sound that most people hate into more analog sound that is a little less harsh. Your amp shouldn't have a built in DAC like mine does, so it's a worthy upgrade.

If you're only running from a computer, the new Hifiman DAC is cheap and works like a soundcard.

Other then that, the FiiO E7 and Ibasso D-zero are also a inexpensive pair of DAC's

But they aren't REALLY Needed. It's just nice to have. You probably won't notice a major difference in the sound change.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Sep 14, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for your post Botbyte.

I understand now. The headphone amps are only useful for headphones with less power than my 595s. I was confused because I was under the impression that they would improve the sound for every headphone. 

Thanks again for your help and have a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back