Sennheiser HD590 replacement parts (or replacement headphones!)
Aug 31, 2010 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrEs

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD590's that I've had for ~10 years! I love them to death and there's a little bit of a sentimental attachment to them too (18th present from my mates).

However the headband snapped near where the cups are attached. I've since tried fixing them with no successes, and short of building a custom band or something I don't really see a solution :frowning2:

So I guess my question is; should I fork out the ~$100 to buy a replacement band; Or can I buy a similar/better headset these day for NOT MUCH more $$ ? (Maybe HD595 or something similar? Not sure if there has been any improvement over the last 10 years? Do headphones get old/worn/lazy?)

Thanks for any advice!

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 7
A replacement headband for my HD590's is just over $100. Now I need to make the decision on whether to fix them or buy something new.

If I was to fix them, considering they are 10 years old, do they wear out after this long? They get a lot of use, maybe average 2 hours a day in the last 10 years! I still think they sound fantastic! Are they going to start degrading?

I guess me requirements are:
* I listen do house/dance/trance music, anything from the clubbing scene.
* Needs to work well without being powered by an amp (I'm going to build an amp next year, i'm just in the middle of selling and buying my house so my 'workshop' is packed up)
* Would prefer something open air as I like the sound more and my workplace is quite and people around me don't mind beats leaking a little from my headphones.

Today I had a play with my mates AGK 701’s are they were WAY too bright for my liking! They really sounded great and detailed (maybe a little too detailed :p) once powered with a nice amp; however the brightness killed me! Also they had a little too much noise leakage.

If I was to buy a replacement currently I'm thinking it might be the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S or the ATH-AD700. I like the sound of the M50’s but I want something open-air to give me a better stage/depth? Any feedback on these for my type of music? Or how I would find them coming from a Senn HD590?

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 7
Sennheiser just released (or will soon?) their second successor to the 590's - the 598.  I haven't a clue how they sound, but it's worth looking into.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Hrmm... if I was to go the replacement route, I probably wouldn't get Sennheisers against just for a change.

Can anybody shed some light on a comparison between (and maybe how they'd compare to the Sennheisers I had):
* Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
* Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 (which i can get for a GREAT price)
* Beyer Dynamic DT 990 (These are probably stretching the budget a bit)

I like the idea of the ATH-AD700 if they are an 'open and upgraded version of the M50' cause I know they M50's are similar to what I'm after. Although I don't really like the look of the AD700's going by pictures.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 7
I've noticed the padding on my DH590's headband feels completely "squished flat" right where the top of my head would go (I must have a pointy head....) I'm assuming the padding is supposedly to feel equally thick all the way across. If that's so, is the headband padding easily user-replaceable? I can buy the pad online, I just want to make sure I can replace it myself.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 7
Hrmm... if I was to go the replacement route, I probably wouldn't get Sennheisers against just for a change.

Can anybody shed some light on a comparison between (and maybe how they'd compare to the Sennheisers I had):* Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
* Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 (which i can get for a GREAT price)
* Beyer Dynamic DT 990 (These are probably stretching the budget a bit)

I like the idea of the ATH-AD700 if they are an 'open and upgraded version of the M50' cause I know they M50's are similar to what I'm after. Although I don't really like the look of the AD700's going by pictures.

The m50s and ad700s are nothing alike. The ad700s are bass anemic, airy, quick, and have a huge soundstage. While the m50s are closed, so much less of a soundstage, more and better bass, and slightly recessed mids. Though both are fantastic headphones (having owned both) I'd say it's down to preference. I now have the hd600s, which are even more amazing.

If I had to get either the m50 or ad700 I think I would take the m50. It's not as comfortable, but it's much more versatile in terms of sound and where you can listen to it at. But if you're looking for an open, warm sounding 'phone, I've read the FA-011 are incredible price/performance. Plus they're the sound sig you're looking for.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I've noticed the padding on my DH590's headband feels completely "squished flat" right where the top of my head would go (I must have a pointy head....) I'm assuming the padding is supposedly to feel equally thick all the way across. If that's so, is the headband padding easily user-replaceable? I can buy the pad online, I just want to make sure I can replace it myself.
W
Did you ever get an answer on the pad replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back